Complete Newbie - Drum Pad or Electronic Drum for Practice?

Drausin

Hi all,

I've been singing for close to 9 years, but I've also wanted to pick up an instrument and I think I might want to do drums for fun.

Only problems are, this is a new idea so I don't want to invest a whole lot in the beginning, and I live in a dorm so I need to be quiet.

From other forums I've read, they suggest one of two things: either buy a practice pad, or buy a guitar hero: world tour set, hook it up to your computer, and practice. Which do you think would be more practical for someone in my position? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Just set your pillows up on your bed as if they were a snare, toms, cymbals, etc and get some sticks and see what you think. Play along to some songs or something and if the love for drums arises then it's off to the music store with all your money

I'm a Newbie too, about 6 months into lessons, and I can tell you that for about the first 3 months with my instructor, we worked exclusively on a practice pad. It was inexpensive, picked it up for about $40.00. That and a pair of $8 sticks and I was set.

I will say I also had a basic acoustic kit at home that I would bang around on, having no idea what I was doing, but all of my real learning of rudiments started on the pad. So a practice pad would definitely be the way to go in my opinion.

Good luck and happy drumming!

Just set your pillows up on your bed as if they were a snare, toms, cymbals, etc and get some sticks and see what you think. Play along to some songs or something and if the love for drums arises then it's off to the music store with all your money

Please, PLEASE don't do this - you'll likely develop cramped and awkward hand technique and probably hurt the tendons in your hand and arm. I can see using pillows to supplement pad and kit practice later on when you have the basics of stick control figured out, but it's difficult to do properly without leading to nasty things like carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis. Start out with a pad, learn how to move and bounce the stick in a natural and relaxed manner, and later on when you want to work out your (properly developed) chops, you can switch to the pillows.

Please, PLEASE don't do this - you'll likely develop cramped and awkward hand technique and probably hurt the tendons in your hand and arm. I can see using pillows to supplement pad and kit practice later on when you have the basics of stick control figured out, but it's difficult to do properly without leading to nasty things like carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis. Start out with a pad, learn how to move and bounce the stick in a natural and relaxed manner, and later on when you want to work out your (properly developed) chops, you can switch to the pillows.

I just meant for it to be a cheap way to see if they enjoyed drums, but definitely buy a pad if you're developing chops... My bad for giving unhealthy advice

I wouldnt recommend buying Guitar Hero World Tour to start learning drums but i must admit, i bought that game quite a while after i already started playing the drums and i was able to connect it up to my Roland TD9KX and it definately has some mild learning capability!

Its a blast to play and if you turn it all the way up to expert it plays almost exactly like the real drum track (apart from the open/close hi-hat or the ride bell etc) it did help me a bit with my limb independance as i noticed i was concentrating alot more on the coloured dots coming down the screen then what i was actually doing and i was later able to go away and do the same thing on my kit :)

I'm a Newbie too, about 6 months into lessons, and I can tell you that for about the first 3 months with my instructor, we worked exclusively on a practice pad. It was inexpensive, picked it up for about $40.00. That and a pair of $8 sticks and I was set.

I will say I also had a basic acoustic kit at home that I would bang around on, having no idea what I was doing, but all of my real learning of rudiments started on the pad. So a practice pad would definitely be the way to go in my opinion.

Good luck and happy drumming lessons!

I would agree with MaryO. If you would check on what they is used, mostly, in drumming lessons it is a practice pad. Having one is really useful if you are a beginner. If you are into games, you could as well go for Guitar Hero.

Last edited:
A practice pad (or even better: several, for various characteristics) will be highly beneficial even after getting a drumkit, using it in addition to playing on a real set. I don't have a full kit yet so I have/prefer to practice on pads, but I'm sure (or at least hoping) that doing one's homework on pads allows for a quick and smooth application on a real set.

As to pads I'm glad to have 1 moongel pad among them, for minimum rebound and/or tom simulation. I'm planning to expand my 'kit' by some more pads to simulate some tom configuration.

From my experience it's also worth experimenting with different sticks if you do practice a lot on pads, they make quite some difference. One pair of sticks was recommended to me by a music store person and these sticks transmit quite a lot of stroke impact onto my hands which I don't like. Using different sticks allowed me to minimize this problem. Also, I like having several different sticks around for more practice variation (different length, diameter, weight, and overall feel).

Last edited:
but I'm sure (or at least hoping) that doing one's homework on pads allows for a quick and smooth application on a real set.
It's quite a difference, even from an ekit. There are just so many sounds and dynamic possibilities on an acoustic kit. If you aren't already, make sure to vary stick heights when you practice on the pad.

One pair of sticks was recommended to me by a music store person and these sticks transmit quite a lot of stroke impact onto my hands which I don't like.
Personally I think that might be your technique lacking. You shouldn't be holding so tight, or even in such a way that the impact will transfer to your hands

Mouse pad to two on the desk top. Best drum pad in the world if you aren't sure. Pair of sticks and go at it.

Aside from the sound level the purpose of the drum pad is to allow you to hear and compare the sound that is made when either hand makes a stroke.
The goal is to make both strokes sound alike.
You are looking for balance between the limbs when you play.

It's quite a difference, even from an ekit. There are just so many sounds and dynamic possibilities on an acoustic kit. If you aren't already, make sure to vary stick heights when you practice on the pad.

Personally I think that might be your technique lacking. You shouldn't be holding so tight, or even in such a way that the impact will transfer to your hands
Hmm... I'm playing very relaxed and I do keep an eye on this. I'm merely 15 months into drums but I think considering this period, my technique is quite good. I was talking of the Zildjian Travis Barker sigs which translated much of the impact, with my favourite sticks ATM, the Vic Firth Thomas Lang, it's much better.

As to dynamics - that's indeed an important aspect which applies to anything which can be hit with sticks, including pads.

Last edited:
My two cents:

Buy a good practice pad + a small stand.
It will be your best friend for years, even when you will have a proper drum set.

I also agree with Arky that it makes sense to practice with different sticks (5A Vs 7A for example).

As for the electronic drum kit...
I had a yamaha TMX + Pads and stands when after the 1st year I was studying drums back in high school to use at home every day + a really shitty drum kit I bought with my bass player at the time and we kept it at his place.

After a long hiatus not playing (uni, work, etc) I recently started playing again and after an year I bought a Roland TD-4.

While it is awesome because you can use it to practice and have fun at home every night (and I can "hear" the improvements) it's always best to alternate it with some session on "the real thing" otherwise you will get a bit too used to the different feel and very controlled sound of the electronic pads. It's also quite pricey, so you might want to stick to the pad in the beginning and then later on, get something electronic as well.

I do still have and use my practice pad though. ;-)

Back