Coated Ambassador's on Stage Custom?

Rolltide

Any experience with this combination , do these heads bring out the best in these fine birch drums? Thx much

I run coated Ambassador batters over clear Diplomat resos on my Stage Customs, but my YSC's aren't birch. They're the mid-90's vintage with the gosh-only-knows-what-kind of plies that may be birch/mahogany/falkata with the long high-tension lugs.

But, they're easy to tune (for me anyway) and don't need moongel, tape or any other treatments. They sound way more lively than the old Pinstripes I had on the tom-toms. The coating wears off in the "business area" of the most used heads, but it doesn't seem to negatively affect the sound.

I think you'll be happy with them. What are they replacing?

I think Coated Ambassadors work on just about everything. I have to say though, I think the coating lasts longer on Remo than they used to. I'm not sure what changed there.

Or you could try Aquarian Texture Coated...always a solid choice, with a coating that lasts forever.

Ambassadors work on everything. But there's a small caveat: for drums that are either A) hard to tune, or B) drums that can use some extra warmth (like Birch drums)...Pinstripes can work really well.

Birch + Pinstripes are a great combination imo. They're a little cold sounding and the Pinstripes warm them right up.

But Ambassadors are also great too. I'd probably go with Ambassadors most of the time.

Vintage A's-- when you need just a little more warmth than A's. I have them on the mount & floor toms on one set where that's needed...

Ambassadors work on everything. But there's a small caveat: for drums that are either A) hard to tune, or B) drums that can use some extra warmth (like Birch drums)...Pinstripes can work really well.

Birch + Pinstripes are a great combination imo. They're a little cold sounding and the Pinstripes warm them right up.

But Ambassadors are also great too. I'd probably go with Ambassadors most of the time.

I've got pinstripes on mine. They sound good tuned lower. I think the Coated Ambassadors sound good tuned high in the video Harry posted.

Pinstripes, Coated Ambassadors and Coated Emperors all sound great on Stage Customs. I would say that Pinstripes suit them best.

If the bearing edges are great single ply heads will sound great.

Two-ply heads can give a little more "oomph" that sounds great sitting at the kit and are also a little more durable. Personally I like the sound and the idea of 1-ply heads but I usually go for some kind of two-ply head for durability.

Clear single ply heads are just the best that I have heard. I would love to find another option I thought sounded as good.

I have coated single ply heads on my SC's right now. I wanted to try them. They are a good option

Coated Ambassadors are the litmus test for drum sets . If a drum set sounds good with these heads , it is a good drum set . The coated ambassador hides no warts like some specific designed heads can .

Sounding good is subjective. How does a good sounding drum set sound?
Or a bad sounding drum set for that matter.

Why not? The new (and oldest) Recording Customs come with Coated Ambs and sound great. Stage Customs should sound similar.

Back