China or Splash?

tom2zip

I'm planning to get either a china cymbal or a splash cymbal, but I don't know what to get, they are both awesome!!
What do you think is a better cymbal in terms of their importance in a kit?
Also, I heard you mount a china cymbal different from a crash or a ride. Someone tell me how?

Personally I think chinas offer a more distinct voice to the kit than a splash, even though I have 3 splashes on my own kit and only one china.

The first "effects" cymbal I bought was a china, and I don't regret not getting a splash instead. One thing to consider however is an effects pack, where you get both a splash and a china in the same pack.

Yes - chinas are generally mounted inverted - the lip of the china facing down instead of up. This is generally done to a) preserve your sticks, and hitting the edge on the upward facing lip will eat out your sticks fairly quickly, and b) to preserve the china. If you're hitting hard you run the risk of denting the lip, which can cause the cymbal to crack.

I know how it sounds but I've never played a china before. How do you utilise it musically in general?

In order of priority for cymbals you should own:
1) hi hat
2) ride
3) large crash
4) medium crash
5) CHINA
6) SPLASH
7-26) whatever your heart desires

I'm looking to buy either Zildjian Oriental Trash China or Wuhan China
I looked up Wuhan one on youtube and it sounded pretty good for its price
Is it worth getting though?

A china cymbal would be my choice. Wuhan chinas are good but I highly recommend you go to a store and play them so you can choose one in person. I went through a couple of chinas before I settled on the sound I like.

My choice: Zildjian 18" A China High with an extra felt so it's tighter on the cymbal stand and has less sustain.

Splashes are cool but they can get lost in the mix more easily in louder music.

I'm planning to get either a china cymbal or a splash cymbal, but I don't know what to get, they are both awesome!!
What do you think is a better cymbal in terms of their importance in a kit?
Also, I heard you mount a china cymbal different from a crash or a ride. Someone tell me how?

What will you get more use out of? Get that one.

I have a splash, but have had neither the need for a china or the desire to buy one just in case. Couple of guys in this thread who've done the opposite though 'cos it suited their needs.

Get the one you think you'll use more first and save for the other.

Yes - chinas are generally mounted inverted - the lip of the china facing down instead of up. This is generally done to a) preserve your sticks, and hitting the edge on the upward facing lip will eat out your sticks fairly quickly, and b) to preserve the china. If you're hitting hard you run the risk of denting the lip, which can cause the cymbal to crack.

i wouldn't be afraid to mount a china either way. some chinas simply open up when mounted the "right" side up. try it both ways, it'll likely be pretty apparent which way is best.

Back