Car wrap...

index.php

This reso head is as good looking as @JimmyM 's Ampeg reso head.
I saw rDavidr do a kit like this once.
Inspired me to do the trash can look. I'll find it one day & all will be right with the world.

This guy kinda answered my question. It looks like car wrap can possibly get kinked up under the lugs. At least the cheaper wrap does this, but he figured out a solution by putting a small incision under the lugs to relieve the tension.

I'm curious if Vvivid vinyl wrap has this kinking problem.

So after thinking about it for a few minutes, I've come up with 2 possible downsides of a car wrap...

1) Car wraps are extremely thin, so they offer no protection against blunt force damage on a wooden shell. Imagine dropping a cymbal edge-on onto your bass drum. Car wraps may not save it from a crack in the shell, but a thick drum wrap might? I'm not sure this is a big concern though. The main concerns people have are scratches, nicks and dings, and protection from UV light, which car wraps seem to be great at.

2) Car wraps (at least the cheaper kind) can get kinked up behind the lugs when under pressure.

Does anyone know if the higher quality car wraps avoid these kinks?

L1po1YA.png
Did i miss the bit where he made the cut to releave the tension?

After wrapping something like a car, boat, or something as complicated as a jet ski, I bet wrapping a drum would feel almost like a day off of work for a pro.

The finish on a car wrap is only as good as the finish under it. I don't know if I'd put it on a raw shell unless the shell was super-smooth. I think I'd still more likely go with Bumwrap if I wanted something sort of crazy.

I've done this on two different kits. The wrap is thin and can tear where regular drum wrap would just scratch. On the plus side a patch can be easily made and blend in very well (at least on the kits I have done).
Yes, the wrap will bunch up a bit between the lug casings and the bearing edge under tension. This is relatively easy to correct with a razor blade and a heat gun. PorkPieGuy is right about the surface below needing to be very smooth.
The number of options is enormous. The first kit I did was a bunch of orphan MIJ stencil shells that I wrapped in pink sparkle. The second was some CB-700's that I wrapped in a beautiful blue/purple chameleon wrap. I was pleased with the results in both cases.
I don't think I would ever use it to wrap a high end kit. But if you just like to add some visual excitement to some old drums, it is pretty inexpensive and easy to do.

...as drum wrap. Waddaya think?

Lots of finishes. Economical ( £50 for materials ). Made to take UV,water,abrasion etc. Easy to apply
I had an old Pearl World Series kick and a couple orphan MIJ toms that I picked up for free that redid with $50 "Forged Composite Carbon" print car wrap from VViViD via Amazon.
After removing old wraps, I cleaned up the bearing edges and just sanded and primed the shells exteriors with a flat black, then applied the wrap. Added new heads, and voila - 10/10 would do again.

Attachments

• IMG_3625.JPG
    IMG_3625.JPG
    744.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3626.JPG
    IMG_3626.JPG
    587.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3627.JPG
    IMG_3627.JPG
    680.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3628.JPG
    IMG_3628.JPG
    681.8 KB · Views: 22
I had an old Pearl World Series kick and a couple orphan MIJ toms that I picked up for free that redid with $50 "Forged Composite Carbon" print car wrap from VViViD via Amazon.
After removing old wraps, I cleaned up the bearing edges and just sanded and primed the shells exteriors with a flat black, then applied the wrap. Added new heads, and voila - 10/10 would do again.
Have you had any issues with the wrap around the lugs? Did you do anything to prevent the bubbling/wrinkles?

Have you had any issues with the wrap around the lugs? Did you do anything to prevent the bubbling/wrinkles?
I had zero issues with the lugs - just tighten each lug bolt evenly instead of cranking one, then the other, without overtightening. As long as you roll the wrap out slowly (like in video someone posted) you can smooth out any wrinkles with a credit card. If you really screw it up you can peel it back off and try again, too, and use a hair dryer to warm and stretch it if needed

Thanks. I'm thinking of doing this to my DW kit for a change in its looks and I'm dealing with 112 lugs, so it's a realistic concern. I've had the kit for almost 25 years and have a mismatch 18" floor tom that I can't find a match for the wrap because Delmar doesn't make it too frequently. Now I've got to figure out if I want to jump.off this cliff and put in the work to do it.

Thanks. I'm thinking of doing this to my DW kit for a change in its looks and I'm dealing with 112 lugs, so it's a realistic concern. I've had the kit for almost 25 years and have a mismatch 18" floor tom that I can't find a match for the wrap because Delmar doesn't make it too frequently. Now I've got to figure out if I want to jump.off this cliff and put in the work to do it.
Thats some lug count. You must be running 2 bass drums. Im trying to summon the will to do a 38 lug kit

I love that it doesnt damage the surface underneath so the kit can be returned to its original finish

It's not pearlescent, but "Atomic Orange" close.

pen_STAR_MAPLE_00_01_AMO_set.png

3M company that makes auto stuff, advertises this wrap specifically for drums:

54 different colors/patterns, and not too expensive.

Back