Car wrap...

KenDoken

...as drum wrap. Waddaya think?

Lots of finishes. Economical ( £50 for materials ). Made to take UV,water,abrasion etc. Easy to apply

I don’t see why not….but if this is for wood shell drums….you would want to make sure the adhesive process is applicable to that type material surface…autos are made out of quite different intended surface

Considering what wrap SJC uses, I'm sure anything is possible. As long as the shell is smooth enough, it'll look great!
I'm thinking of getting wrap printed to look like metal trash cans. Then just see what kind of reaction I get. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

...as drum wrap. Waddaya think?

Lots of finishes. Economical ( £50 for materials ). Made to take UV,water,abrasion etc. Easy to apply
I did a bunch of kitchen cabinets with it. at the time I didn't know this but later I saw a set for sale for $14000 dollars, basically identical to the ones I did! you have to decide, the cabinets were fine to be cleaned with a wet cloth, but they were a fingerprint magnet so you had to only use the handles and avoid touching the wrap. it cleaned well but I wouldn't say it was tear resistant. It will look good as long as you keep it from tearing.

The only thing that is not wrapped is the island because it was too big so I just painted it. (and the pantry doors). You should be able to get a small sample to test it and see how you like it before you commit.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 33
I’ve used the VViViD wrap I nabbed off Amazon. It works surprisingly well. I’ve also used the same material for port hole protectors.

Are there any downsides to using a car wrap instead of a regular drum wrap? Why glue on a drum wrap when you can simply put a car wrap on instead?

Car wraps are reversible. Drum wraps, not so much.

@ineedaclutch, you reminded me of this video...it looks nice!

Last edited:
This guy kinda answered my question. It looks like car wrap can possibly get kinked up under the lugs. At least the cheaper wrap does this, but he figured out a solution by putting a small incision under the lugs to relieve the tension.

I'm curious if Vvivid vinyl wrap has this kinking problem.

So after thinking about it for a few minutes, I've come up with 2 possible downsides of a car wrap...

1) Car wraps are extremely thin, so they offer no protection against blunt force damage on a wooden shell. Imagine dropping a cymbal edge-on onto your bass drum. Car wraps may not save it from a crack in the shell, but a thick drum wrap might? I'm not sure this is a big concern though. The main concerns people have are scratches, nicks and dings, and protection from UV light, which car wraps seem to be great at.

2) Car wraps (at least the cheaper kind) can get kinked up behind the lugs when under pressure.

Does anyone know if the higher quality car wraps avoid these kinks?

L1po1YA.png

No i asked this car wrapping company to do it for me, i only took off all the hardware etc and gave them the bare shells to wrap. The only thing i did myself is painting the bassdrum hoops white
It looks outstanding. It really is not that hard to do and you can do it for very cheap.

This guy kinda answered my question. It looks like car wrap can possibly get kinked up under the lugs. At least the cheaper wrap does this, but he figured out a solution by putting a small incision under the lugs to relieve the tension.

I'm curious if Vvivid vinyl wrap has this kinking problem.

So after thinking about it for a few minutes, I've come up with 2 possible downsides of a car wrap...

1) Car wraps are extremely thin, so they offer no protection against blunt force damage on a wooden shell. Imagine dropping a cymbal edge-on onto your bass drum. Car wraps may not save it from a crack in the shell, but a thick drum wrap might? I'm not sure this is a big concern though. The main concerns people have are scratches, nicks and dings, and protection from UV light, which car wraps seem to be great at.

2) Car wraps (at least the cheaper kind) can get kinked up behind the lugs when under pressure.

Does anyone know if the higher quality car wraps avoid these kinks?

L1po1YA.png

Whoa…the wrap wrinkling is sad….but that tuning rod is misaligned something terrible lol

Back