Can't take PDP seriously somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just requested a quote from the website @someguy01 linked above, using the graphic that @J-W made. I just enlarged it to about 5" so it'll work for a bass logo and it doesn't look blurry at all, haha. Fingers crossed!
You'll get more decals than you order. Happens every time I get custom stuff from them. No extra charge, just extra decals. It's a nice bonus. Their CS is super helpful and responsive.

This whole thread is based on a dislike of a product the OP has never owned, and there are many other posts disparaging a product they also have never owned. It is a troubling thing to me.
I will speak on things I've owned or have practical world experience with and will disparage products that are poor.
I like to bust @Darth Vater about stage customs, but I respect his disdain as it comes from real world experience and those drums failing him. Even the folks who have aesthetic issues (lugs, finishes, etc) that's fair, but to throw an entire brand under the bus for no reason other than it's a budget line from a larger company that makes high end kits is silly. It's like throwing Chevrolet under the bus because GM also makes Cadillac and a Chevy isn't a Caddy. Which leads to why DW would brand a budget line with another name: if they didn't DW fans would bemoan a loss in brand name superiority because there's now an affordable line wearing their precious badge.
Like the Cadillac Cimarron.

This whole thread is based on a dislike of a product the OP has never owned, and there are many other posts disparaging a product they also have never owned. It is a troubling thing to me.
I will speak on things I've owned or have practical world experience with and will disparage products that are poor.
I like to bust @Darth Vater about stage customs, but I respect his disdain as it comes from real world experience and those drums failing him. Even the folks who have aesthetic issues (lugs, finishes, etc) that's fair, but to throw an entire brand under the bus for no reason other than it's a budget line from a larger company that makes high end kits is silly. It's like throwing Chevrolet under the bus because GM also makes Cadillac and a Chevy isn't a Caddy. Which leads to why DW would brand a budget line with another name: if they didn't DW fans would bemoan a loss in brand name superiority because there's now an affordable line wearing their precious badge.
Like the Cadillac Cimarron.
well is it really my fault they give such a bad first impression... many people in the thread agree that it doesn’t have the “factor” other brands tend to have and were literally created as a worse and cheaper alternative to DW’s normal lineup. your car analogy doesn’t really work, because cadillac was always the elite brand that was higher up than others, and then there were chevys on the normal level. cadillac was never the normal line. now if BMW had a shittier lineup of cars and they decided to make a new brand for those cars and call it say, AGC for Affordable German Cars, not many would be tempted to choose it over a proper brand like a VW. because VW will have original designs and ideas while AGC’s cars will always be a watered down version of a BMW.

eh but why should i even open my mouth. it’s not like it’s a discussion forum.

p.s if you actually read my posts i also talk about finishes and appearances.

BMW had a shittier lineup of cars
Mini. Wholly owned by BMW. BMW purchased Mini to increase market share to another consumer demographic. Business 101.
Cadillac made the Cimarron, a rebadged Cavalier, and it hurt the entire bottom line of the brand.
VW is the budget brand of VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group). The Toureg, Q7, and Cayenne are the same platform, same for the Jetta and A4. A Lexus ES300 is a Camry with trim upgrades same for the GX 470, just a Landcruiser with trim upgrades. Why? Because people think trim finishes equal a better quality vehicle when all they really do is increase the manufacturer's bottom line.

As for finishes on the PDP line, the Concept line has some very nice finishes. The simple stains on to some of the wilder wraps. The lugs, well, just as many people don't like the DW turrets as don't like the PDP double lugs and lugs are an easy swap.
I fully appreciate DW introducing the line and forcing the other manufacturers to make better entry and mid-level kits. They changed the game and as a budget constrained drummer, I couldn't be happier with that outcome.

Last edited:
Mini. Wholly owned by BMW. BMW purchased Mini to increase market share to another consumer demographic. Business 101.
Cadillac made the Cimarron, a rebadged Cavalier, and it hurt the entire bottom line of the brand.
VW is the budget brand of VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group). The Toureg, Q7, and Cayenne are the same platform, same for the Jetta and A4. A Lexus ES300 is a Camry with trim upgrades same for the GX 470, just a Landcruiser with trim upgrades. Why? Because people think trim finishes equal a better quality vehicle when all they really do is increase the manufacturer's bottom line.

As for finishes on the PDP line, the Concept line has some very nice finishes. The simple stains on to some of the wilder wraps. The lugs, well, just as many people don't like the DW turrets as don't like the PDP double lugs and lugs are an easy swap.
I fully appreciate DW introducing the line and forcing the other manufacturers to make better entry and mid-level kits. They changed the game and as a budget constrained drummer, I couldn't be happier with that outcome.
mini is a very different brand to BMW. their cars look nothing alike and if you ask the average person about mini, they won’t know that it’s a BMW owned company. the same can’t be said about PDP, everyone knows that it’s a lesser DW. and minis are not cheap at all. if you look at an A1 and compare it to a polo you would never guess they are from the same brand, while if you look at a PDP you know immediately that it’s a DW sub brand.

i think PDP doesn’t have its own identity. i think its identity is too much based off another successful brand that it doesn’t do its own thing and make things that stand out. that’s why i will buy from manufacturers with an established identity that make their own stuff. i guess i am knocking the brand more than its products.

I personally like that DW didn't cheapen their themselves by having kits like Gretsch Blackhawk or Ludwig Accent bring down their good name. Please remember, when they created PDP they only offered the Collectors Series at the time. Performance and Design came later on. They made a conscious effort to keep DW a professional product while offering something to beginner, intermediate and semi professional players that was good quality at a more reasonable price. Both brands are widely popular and each have a cemented place in the drumming world.

i think PDP doesn’t have its own identity. i think its identity is too much based off another successful brand that it doesn’t do its own thing and make things that stand out. that’s why i will buy from manufacturers with an established identity that make their own stuff. i guess i am knocking the brand more than its products.
Every time someone says brand x by brand y, they are attempting to either distance themselves or lift the brand up. Lifting usually fails. You don't see Lexus by Toyota (or would it be Toyota by Lexus at this point?) Genesis by Hyundai or Mini by BMW. They develop and market them separately. The biggest error I see with PDP marketing is the "by DW" designation. There was absolutely nothing wrong with selling PDP as PDP. They have their junk bottom end line like others, but their mid-level stuff is quite nice and certainly a good value. If DW started marketing "Gretsch by DW", we'd see the same disdain for the brand. PDP is different from DW. Not sure why John Good has insisted on not developing it as it's own brand. He could have left the Platinum series be their own thing, but they were just too good.

Hey! I'll have you know skoda and seat are the budget brands from VAG.

Hey! I'll have you know skoda and seat are the budget brands from VAG.
They don't sell either of those lines in America. I had to go with what's available here and what I've worked on.
Thanks for the intel though!

Well there are always naysayers for every brand but PDP is used and endorsed just like other brands and they seem competitive with other machine mass produced drums. So they have a market and likely financially allowed DW to buy Gretsch, LP, and Slingerland. I wager DW is profiting off all even though it would seem competiting with itself. Reality seems to argue against PDP being that bad in general .

The newer releases from PDP no longer say "by DW" the badges say "Concept series, pacific drum company, pdp"

The newer releases from PDP no longer say "by DW" the badges say "Concept series, pacific drum company, pdp"
This may be true, but the sweetwater add has "DW" in it 9 times, and the heads still say "by DW" on them, including the kick reso.

They should make up their minds, is it Pacific Drum Company or Pacific Drums and Percussion?

This may be true, but the sweetwater add has "DW" in it 9 times, and the heads still say "by DW" on them, including the kick reso.

They should make up their minds, is it Pacific Drum Company or Pacific Drums and Percussion?
They're gonna compete with Pearl and the ridiculous naming nomenclature. PDCPDPDW

...if you ask the average person about mini, they won’t know that it’s a BMW owned company. the same can’t be said about PDP, everyone knows that it’s a lesser DW.
You're right, everyone knows about PDP. I put this to the test yesterday with several of my coworkers, my mother, my mailman, the waitress at the restaurant, and the elderly gentleman that walks his dog by my house. I asked, "Did you know that Mini is owned by BMW?" And they all said "No, I had no idea!" THEN I asked, "Have you heard of PDP drums?" and almost all of them said, "Of course, they're made by DW", the waitress said, "Yeah, those are the DW's made overseas." and the old man said, "Oh, you mean the lesser DW's?".......... all with a look on their face like "Well, duh!".

Just to see if by some crazy coincidence I happened to poll a group of drummers, I then asked them if they'd heard of Ludwig, almost all of them said "Who?" My mom said, "Of course! That's the name of your band. I saw it on the front of your drums." And the old man said, "You mean the German guy that lived around the corner?" I said, "No, the drums......like Gretsch". And he said, "Yeah, Gretchen, that was his daughter's name!"
He's a little bit hard of hearing.

They're gonna compete with Pearl and the ridiculous naming nomenclature. PDCPDPDW

Oh no! Then they won't be a household name! :rolleyes:;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back