Can someone explain why my pearl eliminator double pedal is like this?

For some reason when my eliminator doubles are set evenly, they are at completely different board height settings. The pedal board on the slave is all the way up and can't go nearly as high as the main pedal.

I am aware of both the board adjustment and the beater angle adjustment. Ultimately the problem seems to be that the angle of the shaft is different for each pedal. It's hard to see in the pictures, but camshaft of the main is at a steeper angle than the slave.

I bought them used, and luckily I like where they're at, but I did want to try a little higher angle on the boards, what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20160422_123713.jpg
    IMG_20160422_123713.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_20160422_123725.jpg
    IMG_20160422_123725.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_20160422_123735.jpg
    IMG_20160422_123735.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 533
Could we see a picture of the left pedal with the driveshaft unattached? I'm just curious if it's like other Pearls where there's only one place per 360º you could attach the driveshaft, or if it's a square peg in which case you would just detach the shaft, rotate it 90º, and reattach.

Essentially you have to make sure it's around the right height before you attach the shaft to the sub pedal.

I believe what you'll need to do is rotate the hex shaft where the left side inserts into the center piece. Loosen the two left lock screws, pull the left piece of the drive shaft all the way out, rotate one flat, and then reinsert it.

I forgot to mention, I tried that. There's no mistaking it's on the correct spot because going either way makes the pedal unusable.

I'm starting to think that the cam angle may be due to the play in the pearl link system, it's pretty significant. This still doesn't really explain why my footboard height settings are so different.

I have a very basic double pedal that had the same problem. I discovered a set screw on the back of the slave cam that when loosened allowed the cam's chain section to be rotated on the cam which changed the footboard height.
Take a closer look at that slave cam.

I have a very basic double pedal that had the same problem. I discovered a set screw on the back of the slave cam that when loosened allowed the cam's chain section to be rotated on the cam which changed the footboard height.
Take a closer look at that slave cam.

Haven't found anything like that.

Still a little confused about this. Anyone know what happens when you loosen the nut to the left of the slave pedal? It rotates when you use the pedal.

Could we see a picture of the left pedal with the driveshaft unattached? I'm just curious if it's like other Pearls where there's only one place per 360º you could attach the driveshaft, or if it's a square peg in which case you would just detach the shaft, rotate it 90º, and reattach.

Essentially you have to make sure it's around the right height before you attach the shaft to the sub pedal.

I think I am saying the same thing here as Porter, but remove the connecting shaft, adjust the slave pedal, then reconnect the shaft. Make sure both pedals are where you want them and then connect them. If that doesn't work you have to adjust the chain and cam on the horizontal pedal shaft for each pedal.

See if this will help.. http://pearldrum.com/support/spare-parts-catalog/2015-spare-parts-catalog.pdf

As far as I know, they have to be connected to be adjusted. If you remove the connecting shaft, the slave pedal flops down to the floor.

I need the cam of one of the pedals to rotate forwards or backwards independently of the beaters. There's no user-adjustable way to do this.

It would also work if I could change the angle that the connecting shaft goes onto the slave (same thing), like porter mentioned, but it only goes on one way.

There is a nut on the left of the slave and two small allen wrench screws where the slave attaches to the connecting shaft, but I don't want to mess with those until I know what they do exactly.

Attachments

• IMG_20160429_102813.jpg
    IMG_20160429_102813.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_20160429_102752.jpg
    IMG_20160429_102752.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 400
Can you loosen the slave chain adjustment bolt on top and slide the whole chain back 1/4" using those placement/marker indents for reference? (The first slave pic doesn't show the indents as well as the second slave pic from the left side.) That would lift the pedal just as removing a chain link would do.

For some reason when my eliminator doubles are set evenly, they are at completely different board height settings. The pedal board on the slave is all the way up and can't go nearly as high as the main pedal.

I am aware of both the board adjustment and the beater angle adjustment. Ultimately the problem seems to be that the angle of the shaft is different for each pedal. It's hard to see in the pictures, but camshaft of the main is at a steeper angle than the slave.

I bought them used, and luckily I like where they're at, but I did want to try a little higher angle on the boards, what am I doing wrong?

I think the answer is in the pictures you posted.

In the left pedal, the chain is connected lower to the cam. On the right pedal, it is all the way, on the left, the adjustment cluster for the chain (not sure what it's called), is at the lowest position.

Just loosen the screw and set the chain on the left to the highest position.

EDIT: Just realised that it's the other way around on your pedals. Weird.

Can you loosen the slave chain adjustment bolt on top and slide the whole chain back 1/4" using those placement/marker indents for reference? (The first slave pic doesn't show the indents as well as the second slave pic from the left side.) That would lift the pedal just as removing a chain link would do.

The problem is if I move the chain of the slave I can get them to where the pedal boards are the same height and the beaters even, but the cams are at different angles, so you need drastically different board-height settings as shown in the pictures. It's as if the cam of the slave pedal slipped forward on axis (or the main went back). I'm terribly tempted to mess with the nut on the far side of the slave pedal, but I'm resisting that temptation for now due to heavy usage.

I have the same Eliminators, I´ve been using them for years. I have also taken them completely apart and put together several times. For maintenance, greasing etc. Changed roller bearings for instance, because i accidentally damaged one while trying to take it out (be gentle with bearings if you ever need to take them out and put back in).
But I dont get what your problem really is. My english is not that fluent, so I probably misunderstood something, or maybe everything. Could you take a picture from side, so we could see in detail, all the problematic angles that you are talking about? Maybe draw some arrows to indicate the specific details.

You do understand that you can adjust separately and independently the board height, beater angle, and board position (board moves back and forth, bolt is on the bottom)?
Have you tried removing completely the shaft and the cam holder of left pedal - to see whether the cam holder sits on the right angle, on the right position on the shaft? It is easy to put it accidentally back in wrong position once you have dismantled it. I assume previous owner could have done that. Wrong cam holder position on shaft normally results in a very different beater and board angle of the left pedal. You can, up to some extent then try to improve the position by adjusting the beater angle and footboard angle (bolt position on top of the chain), but it will still be off and awkward.
Remove the nut on the left side of shaft and pull the shaft gently to right, it comes off togeher with the bearing on right side. (If it doesnt, give it a gentle hit with hammer on the left side. Really gently, until it starts moving!) Left side bearing can sit where it is, dont try to remove it. Remove the cam holder, and put it back in position, which maches the right pedal. Then you shall need to readjust again all the other angles - beater and board.

Last edited:
I have the same Eliminators, I´ve been using them for years. I have also taken them completely apart and put together several times. For maintenance, greasing etc. I have completely dismantled them several times. Changed roller bearings for instance, because i accidentally damaged one while trying to take it out (be gentle with bearings if you ever need to take them out and put back in).
But I dont get what your problem really is. My english is not that fluent, si I probably misunderstood something. Could you take a picture from side, so we could see in detail, all the problematic angles that you are talking about?

You do understand that you can adjust separately and independently the board height, beater angle, and board position (board moves back and forth, bolt is on the bottom)?
Have you tried removing completely the shaft and the cam holder of left pedal - to see whether the cam holder sits on the right angle? It is easy to put it accidentally back in wrong position once you have dismantled it. But of course wrong cam holder position on shaft normally results in a beater and board angle which is impossible to play, because the pedals will sit of drastically different angles/positions, so im afraid that cant be the case - or maybe???
Have you tried removing the red cams to see whether they are in one piece, not damaged in any way?

I've wondered if perhaps one thing is misadjusted in one direction and another is misadjusted in another. For example, the cam installed incorrectly one way and the linkage installed incorrectly in the other direction. Hard to explain what mean, but I am sure there is a solution.

I have the same Eliminators, I´ve been using them for years. I have also taken them completely apart and put together several times. For maintenance, greasing etc. Changed roller bearings for instance, because i accidentally damaged one while trying to take it out (be gentle with bearings if you ever need to take them out and put back in).
But I dont get what your problem really is. My english is not that fluent, so I probably misunderstood something, or maybe everything. Could you take a picture from side, so we could see in detail, all the problematic angles that you are talking about? Maybe draw some arrows to indicate the specific details.

Have you tried removing completely the shaft and the cam holder of left pedal - to see whether the cam holder sits on the right angle, on the right position on the shaft? It is easy to put it accidentally back in wrong position once you have dismantled it. I assume previous owner could have done that. Wrong cam holder position on shaft normally results in a very different beater and board angle of the left pedal. You can, up to some extent then try to improve the position by adjusting the beater angle and footboard angle (bolt position on top of the chain), but it will still be off and awkward.
Remove the nut on the left side of shaft and pull the shaft gently to right, it comes off togeher with the bearing on right side. (If it doesnt, give it a gentle hit with hammer on the left side. Really gently, until it starts moving!) Left side bearing can sit where it is, dont try to remove it. Remove the cam holder, and put it back in position, which maches the right pedal. Then you shall need to readjust again all the other angles - beater and board.

That's what I needed to hear. I will attempt to do this as soon as I can. Thanks.

Back