Can house angle affect drumming?

xsarith

So 7 months ago I moved into a new house, and to be peaceful to the neighbours I set up my ekit to practice on and kept my acoustic at the studio for band practice. A key point I would like to point out is my new house leans forward slightly, just enough to notice , but not enough to cause a problem in the house.

Anyway since I've been in this house my balance on drums has been terrible. At first I thought it might be because I've been using an ekit and I hated the feel of it and did as little practice possible. Anyway balancing became an issue that my playing ability decreased (maybe also due to minimal practice) that I couldn't play most of the songs I wrote, they were already challenging when I wrote them.

So a couple months ago I left my band and brought my Acoustic kit back home and arranged with the neighbours about playing it. Unfortunately some days I have good balance and can play almost everything I've played, other days I have it has just gotten worse, maybe the band actually slowed any deterioration of ability. I don't think its any settings such as throne hight since when I was at my old house I had no trouble, I've also tried adjusting everything to make sure.

It might seem as though I'm looking for excuses for poor technique, but again nothing has changed from my old house, and I even went to a drum teacher to make sure my technique was okay. Right now its starting to get to a point that I don't even want to play any more because no matter how much I practice, I just get worse.

So could my house cause an issue? or is it really a case bad drumming?

I've played some shows where the drum raiser was broken far beyond where they should have gone out and gotten another one. A few times I was leaning one way or the other... Still got the job done.

Why don't you bust out a level and some carpets or even build a little platform and make it even?

A piece of plywood and some shims perhaps?

If you turn the kit facing 'down' the tilt, you can play with less effort. :)

Bermuda

Get Tommy Lee's spinning drum construction, practice for a week and then you'll stop bothering about stuff like that ;-)

Seriously, just make sure your drums are placed on a level platform.

i think you should get out and gig more. no two stages are alike, and you get used to it. worst one i can remember is when i played at a small club on the sacramento delta, that flooded almost every winter. the floor not only tilted, but was irregular, so that i was on the verge of falling over backwards the whole night. i had two open solos that night, and they were both better than usual for me. i had to laugh... it actually ended up being a very memorable night.

So 7 months ago I moved into a new house, and to be peaceful to the neighbours I set up my ekit to practice on and kept my acoustic at the studio for band practice. A key point I would like to point out is my new house leans forward slightly, just enough to notice , but not enough to cause a problem in the house.

Anyway since I've been in this house my balance on drums has been terrible. At first I thought it might be because I've been using an ekit and I hated the feel of it and did as little practice possible. Anyway balancing became an issue that my playing ability decreased (maybe also due to minimal practice) that I couldn't play most of the songs I wrote, they were already challenging when I wrote them.

So a couple months ago I left my band and brought my Acoustic kit back home and arranged with the neighbours about playing it. Unfortunately some days I have good balance and can play almost everything I've played, other days I have it has just gotten worse, maybe the band actually slowed any deterioration of ability. I don't think its any settings such as throne hight since when I was at my old house I had no trouble, I've also tried adjusting everything to make sure.

It might seem as though I'm looking for excuses for poor technique, but again nothing has changed from my old house, and I even went to a drum teacher to make sure my technique was okay. Right now its starting to get to a point that I don't even want to play any more because no matter how much I practice, I just get worse.

So could my house cause an issue? or is it really a case bad drumming?

Honestly, I think you should see your doctor and get your ears checked out if your balance is that far off and that inconsistant

If you turn the kit facing 'down' the tilt, you can play with less effort. :)

This is good advice. My shop where I set up my drums has a slight tilt to it. I didn't know this when I first started practicing out there, and was getting lower back pain (which I'd never had before). After I figured it out, I flipped the kit around to where I'm facing "downhill," and have had no problems since. It hasn't affected my playing in any way.

Take your drum sto the Cape Canaveral runway where the Shuttles used to land. They were level to 1/10th of an inch within 1000 feet.
I can't believe your tilt causes you playing trouble and yet you cant see it.

Or you could get a Drum Frame and negate the downhill tilt.

Back