Buying From Music-Go-Round

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
When I search for drum gear, one of the many sources that comes up is Music-Go-Round. I have never purchased from them.

Have any of you purchased from Music-Go-Round? How was your experience?

When I search for drum gear, one of the many sources that comes up is Music-Go-Round. I have never purchased from them.

Have any of you purchased from Music-Go-Round? How was your experience?

Back in the day before the internet, they were sort of known for "overpriced junk" at the one that's closest to me (which is still 1.5 hours away). With that said, I don't think I ever bought anything there.

I will have to say that I've emailed particular stores, and they've been very quick to respond and incredibly helpful. Quality may vary from store to store.

I tried to buy something from them once.

I was told it was only offered in store until after a certain date. After that date if it was still around they would sell it online.

I went elsewhere.

Mine has a lot of junk, just absolute garbage. But, I still go in there every weekend to see if I can find any jems. The used cymbal selection is actually pretty good. I’ve also found a few cymbal stands that cleaned up nicely

I tried to buy something from them once.

I was told it was only offered in store until after a certain date. After that date if it was still around they would sell it online.

I went elsewhere.
I think it’s like a pawnshop in that regard. You have to give the seller like a week or two a chance to buy it back. Believe it is some kind of law

Before Craigslist I had to sell some guitar gear at Music Go Round. It was a tough lesson in economics. The stores I've been to were hit or miss as far as drum gear went, but you never know.

I bought 2 80s era Yamaha tour racks Toms. The price was pretty good, and structurally they are good but they were a little more scuffed up, then what I anticipated

Prices are good but the shipping fees usually stated are crazy expensive so I've backed off buying from them on a few recent prospective purchases.

There is one locally where I live. I have bought a number of items from them. I love it. It's basically like buying from craigslist except you can't barter with them and you can return items. The guy who does guitar set ups is also really good at his job and the guitars I've bought from there all play really nicely.

They’re interesting to deal with. I’ve bought a few vintage A Zildjians from different stores. As someone said, they’re independently owned.

They offer a 14 day return policy (you pay the shipping) and I took advantage of it once and sent back a ride cymbal I didn’t dig.

They don’t negotiate until the item has been listed for (I believe) 30 days. The prices are hit or miss. Sometimes very reasonable and other times unrealistic.

Our local store is worth a visit monthly. Today they had a K Constantinople ride, a newer Premier Heritage kit, and an older Premier XPK in beautiful blue lacquer. They always have great selection of used stands and kick pedals.

I bought a Slingerland Shelbyville kit from one of their stores. Price was reasonable and it was in great shape, but packing for shipping was awful. The bass drum was rattling around in a box much too large. Luckily everything arrived undamaged.

Also got a great deal on a set of hats from them.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy, but would be prepared to return an item if necessary. Just like Guitar Center used gear.

Lots of dealings with MgR especially while I lived in Colorado.

Here’s was my experience outside of MgR in Colorado.
Back in 2018 I Picked up my Ludwig Vistalite in St. Louis location.
Prior to buying these I made sure to ask all the routine questions since I couldn’t see them in person.
Of course I asked if there were any cracks or major issues and got the green light that there were none.

I get to the store I was pleased and excited. The kit looked great for its age and better than the photos online.

I started to comb over and all looked good, then I get to the bass drum and see a crack about 1 1/4 inch long along the seem at the bottom, it’s not deep as it’s not going all the way through to interior.

I just about lost my marbles (but rather calmly and bit miffed) told the guy I had even asked this specific question.
I was on my way out and my wife is like we are already here you’re not gonna get them?
I said if I’d known there was a crack, never would’ve come for the kit.

Anyways the lead or manager comes outside where wife and I were talking and offers me a $150 discount, so thinking of what my wife just said and the discount I ended up getting it, but wasn’t too thrilled as I should’ve been.

Just be careful, I think my initial inquiries were overlooked, the franchise in Colorado Springs are cool folk but kind of quirky. You can find some good deals though.

For example back in 2021 they had a Pearl Jupiter accompanying a DiY snakeskin rewrapped late 60s early 70s Pearl kit for $500. I offered to buy the snare for half and they said it all goes together.

I still look online from time to time.

Prices are good but the shipping fees usually stated are crazy expensive so I've backed off buying from them on a few recent prospective purchases.
Ditto. No stores around me to compare with the live experience, though.

Thank you so much gang. Now I understand how they operate. There are no stores here in Arizona. That is sad but also might be fortunate for me. LOL

Back