Buying a new kit soon...need some advice...

Drumz

I'm just hammering out the details in my mind and I'd like some professional advice. I've decided to buy a pretty large kit. Three up/two down toms. And I'm just pondering the rack tom selection. I have a choice between...

10x8, 12x9 and 13x10

OR

10x7, 12x8 and 13x9

For years now I have played two up two down with 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms on one kit (Ludwig Classic) or 12x10 and 13x11 on the other kit (Yamaha RC).

Of course, the old power tom sizes like my Yammies have gone the way of the dodo. Just as well as they are a bear to tweak/tune right imo. They look cool as hell. But they're a struggle. Also, they require me to angle the toms rather awkwardly to get them off the kick drum while still having them at a (barely) playable height.

The one inch difference with the Ludwigs makes a HUGE difference in that regard. New heads tune right up easily and require little to no tweaking. And I can get them down closer to me for a more comfortable playing reach. And therefore can angle them flatter.

Here's my question. On my new kit do I go with the sizes I have on my Ludwigs - which are the 'new' rock standard sizes I guess? Or do I go with even shallower rack toms? What I'm looking for is feedback on the difference in sound between - say - a 13x9 verses a 13x10. Will I hear a dramatic difference in depth of sound/low end? Or is the one inch difference in depth pretty negligible? I don't want to lose bottom on the toms. But at the same time, I like the idea of the greater flexbility in tom placement I would get with shallower toms. And how thin could they sound after all? If it's good enough for Neil Peart...

In other words, if it were your decision, which would you choose and why?

Anyway, enough of my blather. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I say go with more shallow toms. I have a 12x8, and it sounds great. It can go low or high, and I can make it resonate long with the right heads and tuning, You can also have them lower, one inch seems to be a lot as far as being comfortable on a set.

Thanks for the feedback slowrocker. I'm definitely leaning in that direction.

No one else has any thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

It's up to you. Is it worth the extra inch of depth that will make them harder to position, but look "cool as hell"? I don't think the audience will notice either way, but it's YOU who will be playing/showcasing them.

Personally, I would go for the shallower depths, and if I had a choice, I would have all of the rack toms be similar depths. If you could do 10x8, 12x8, and 13x8 and have them mounted in uniform angles, that would be pretty snazzy-looking!

It's up to you. Is it worth the extra inch of depth that will make them harder to position, but look "cool as hell"?

I think you may have misunderstood. I was referring my old Yamaha's...power tom depths. I don't think many companies even make those sizes anymore. I do think they look cool. But I've already noted their obvious placement difficulty. And while the look isn't everything, I think aesthetics do matter.

Personally, I would go for the shallower depths, and if I had a choice, I would have all of the rack toms be similar depths. If you could do 10x8, 12x8, and 13x8 and have them mounted in uniform angles, that would be pretty snazzy-looking!

Yeah...I've considered matching depths too. That look is very nice.

You're assuming that extra depth means more bottom end from your drums. conversely, you're assuming that shallow drums will deliver less tonal depth. Size is only part of a complexed equation, & in isolation, isn't that important. Sure, there's a range that you would be advised to keep within to maintain flexibility of tuning, but beyond that, it's dependent on the drums/tuning, etc.

Basics: Assuming all other elements are equal - a more shallow drum will have a clearer fundamental. This helps it find a sonic space in the mix more readily than a tom with a diminished fundamental. A deeper drum usually delivers more overtones, both the ones you want (lower) & the ones you typically don't want (higher). The deeper drum can give the impression of more bottom end. That's because the lower tones act almost like a chorus, although it's debatable as to wether that "fatness" will translate to the audience. Again. it's down to construction & tuning.

On the subject of matching depths - tread very carefully. Unless the drums are constructed specifically to take that into account, you can end up with a set of toms that have little "family" feel to them.

I'm a big fan of shallow tom-toms. If Pearl offered kits with "fast toms" I'd be all over it.

Thomas Lang's new DW kit has fast toms and that thing sounds killer.

Back