Bring on the Night

SeanMc

Hello, can anyone break down the hi hat pattern Stewart Copeland plays on Bring on the Night please? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If we're calling the kick drums 2&4, the high hat is playing 16th notes accenting on the & (with the bass guitar). The only indicator of beat one is the chord changes in the guitar part.

It's tempting for me to want to hear the hi hat accents as the downbeats. If you're hearing the downbeats in a weird spot too, I'd recommend listening to the second verse after counting through the first chorus.

"Sprits In The Material World" is another one of these.... so is "Hole In My Life".... I still cant feel that one correctly!

I think Dave Grohl went for this idea a bit on the Nirvana song "Milk It"

Last edited:
If we're calling the kick drums 2&4, the high hat is playing 16th notes accenting on the & (with the bass guitar). The only indicator of beat one is the chord changes in the guitar part.

It's tempting for me to want to hear the hi hat accents as the downbeats. If you're hearing the downbeats in a weird spot too, I'd recommend listening to the second verse after counting through the first verse.

"Sprits In The Material World" is another one of these.... so is "Hole In My Life".... I still cant feel that one correctly!

Stewart’s work with The Police never gets old...I’ve been listening to them for 42 years and they still blow me away!! (y) :D

It's tempting for me to want to hear the hi hat accents as the downbeats. If you're hearing the downbeats in a weird spot too, I'd recommend listening to the second verse after counting through the first verse.

"Sprits In The Material World" is another one of these....

Nearly 40 years down the road and I can't get "Spirits" quite right. I know where the 1 is, intellectually, but I can't feel it. Which means even if I get that all important lead-in to the chorus snare crack correct, it's not quite right.

Thank you.

Back