Black Beauty 6.5” vs 8” - is the difference real?

LittleLegs

Hi

I’ve just got an old beat up Ludwig Classic Maple 26” bass drum and 18” floor and love them. So I’m after a snare that can match them for depth and projection.

I’ve a Tama Starphonic Cooper which I like for its deep tone, but I also like lively drums and lively it ain’t!

I’ve been thinking about 8” deep wood snares but I’m worried that they won’t have the projection and might get overwhelmed.

There’s something telling me that brass and deep is the way to go. So how deep? Is there really much difference between the 6.5” and 8”? I’d love to hear what people who know these drums well think. (Also, I’m not wedded to the Ludwig brand but for the one metal snare in my life, why go anywhere else?)

Thanks!

I recently bought a Universal Brass in 14x8" and couldn't be happier.

Specifically for recording, under the mic the 8" covers a ton of ground. As I mentioned in the metal snare thread, when I tune it high to 200-220Hz or so, I get the classic crack but due to the 1mm shell vs. the thicker BB combined with the 8" depth there is still a lot of buddy under the initial transient crack. Then when I tune it down the spectrum it can do the "fat" thing as well as anything.

I have other snares in that 6 -6.5" range (all over the depth range really) but I am growing really fond of recording with 8".

I recently bought a Universal Brass in 14x8" and couldn't be happier.

Specifically for recording, under the mic the 8" covers a ton of ground. As I mentioned in the metal snare thread, when I tune it high to 200-220Hz or so, I get the classic crack but due to the 1mm shell vs. the thicker BB combined with the 8" depth there is still a lot of buddy under the initial transient crack. Then when I tune it down the spectrum it can do the "fat" thing as well as anything.

I have other snares in that 6 -6.5" range (all over the depth range really) but I am growing really fond of recording with 8".
I didn't even know the Universal was a thing until I went drumstore browsing a few weeks back. They seemed pretty cool and not that expensive. Are they like a cheaper version of Supras/BBs?

I didn't even know the Universal was a thing until I went drumstore browsing a few weeks back. They seemed pretty cool and not that expensive. Are they like a cheaper version of Supras/BBs?

It's a quality drum in its own right, at least the Universal Brass is......and yes, for $300ish I will take this drum all day long......while I could have purchased a BB........I asked myself "why?"......and I do actually like thinner shells as I prefer lower pitch....so I figured I would try the Universal and if I didn't like it, I could grab something else and get my $ out of it.......but this drum is staying.

Swap out the crap stock head and it is impressive.

The rest of the Universal line are meat and potatoes snares with quality components......check out DCP's video on them a while back

Last edited:
I personally think 6.5" is the sweet spot.

If I only had to have one, it would be 6.5". No doubt.

That being said, I am infatuated with the 8" right now with some 6.5" around if needed, they both cover a lot of ground, the 6.5" covers slightly more ground overall making it a great choice as a primary snare if needed.

Also, if you don't wanna spend Black Beauty money, check out the 14 x 8 DW Performance steel shell. I'm not a fan of steel shelled drums at all, but this one is fantastic.

I went through this dilemma back in 2019 trying to choose which Black Beauty to get. I've always wanted a 5" Black Beauty for specific applications, but I also wanted a 6.5" Black Beauty. Initially I was leaning toward a single purchase by getting the 6.5" Black Beauty and calling it a day. Bermuda walked me through another option: getting a 5" Black Beauty and an 8" Black Beauty to cover more bases. After auditioning the 5", 6.5" and 8" I liked all three sizes. But to my ear, the 8" depth has a bit more body and presence than the 6.5" It's not a huge difference but I ended up preferring the 8" depth and I crossed the 6.5" off my list. But I also pulled the trigger on a 5" Black Beauty as well. Both the 5" and 8" were B-stock models. No regrets at all. I had an extra pair of Joyful Noise Nickel Over Brass hoops so I threw those on both snare drums as well as a new INdE strainer on the 5", and swapped out stock heads on both to Aquarian and went with Canopus Vintage chrome plated snare wires.

It all comes down to personal preference when considering the 6.5" and 8" Black Beauties. There's no wrong decision to be made between either model . . . they're both great. Trust your own ears as to what you like. For me there was enough of a difference to go with the 8" depth. But if I already owned a 6.5" Black Beauty I would be hard pressed to get the 8".

I own and use the 5, 6.5 and 8" deep black beauty's in a professional studio environment often. and my opinion... after so many sessions with various types of styles and players is, the deeper you go... the better they sound... under the microphones anyway. as an aside (to add depth to this rabbit hole) the 14x8 copper has fast become the crown jewel (or Black Beauty killer) in the studio world...is the current sleeper in the Ludwig line up.

You know, those drum manufacturers they’re kinda smart! Why sell you one, when they know damn well you might end up buying 3! I think the 3 depths do offer a tonal difference. With each having their place in the lineup, depending on song. More choices the better IMO.

I own and use the 5, 6.5 and 8" deep black beauty's in a professional studio environment often. and my opinion... after so many sessions with various types of styles and players is, the deeper you go... the better they sound... under the microphones anyway. as an aside (to add depth to this rabbit hole) the 14x8 copper has fast become the crown jewel (or Black Beauty killer) in the studio world...is the current sleeper in the Ludwig line up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the 8" really shines under a mic.

As I mentioned, (and maybe you have experienced the same) the 8" will give you the high end crack while still having plenty of body that provides mixers a lot of sonic information to leverage while mixing vs using the crack and then having to blend in a sample for additional body etc.

Glad I wasn't losing my mind. The wave form of the 8" is like a candy store when you go to touch it up with EQ, and honestly in many cases they don't need much EQ.

I kinda scratch my head when people are like "I love the 5" or 6.5" for the crack. Then I blend in a sample for some added body"...... or you could just hit the damn 8" snare and be done with it.

Then again, the more snares the merrier......

I will have to check out the copper.....

I'm extremely happy with the crack and ring (resonance) my 6.5" BB. I agree that the 8" provides more sonic content which helps recording.
My snare doesn't leave my house. The rimshots sound like someone fired a .38 cal. LOL

No experience here but I do remember trying the 14x8 black magic years ago and it was a little too much, good for a loud outdoor gig but perhaps it might overpower the rest of your kit if just playing at home.

No experience here but I do remember trying the 14x8 black magic years ago and it was a little too much, good for a loud outdoor gig but perhaps it might overpower the rest of your kit if just playing at home.
I'm in the camp that likes the faster response and focus of the 5" or 6.5". For the big, fat, and fuzzy sound, I just use a Big Fat Snare Drum "Steve's Donut".

I know I'm being a little ignorant, but it works great for me. Plus I haven't had the opportunity to test out many 8" drums.

Back