Better Late Than Never

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
When my daughter was 5-years-old she wanted an end table for her bedroom. I built one and painted it with flowers. In 2013 my daughter asked me to repaint her bedroom when she moved off to college. She requested a "tattoo" studio feel and gave me full reign. After repainting and acoustically treating her room I refinished the end table using the three colors in her room: Mandarin Orange, Red and Blue. I only got one side of the end table done with koi fish (after seeing a similar design on a high end commissioned leather wallet) and then got super busy with work. Fast forward 10 years and the guilt of an uncompleted project was hanging over my head. So I got around to finally completing the table top for her. I'm trying to decide on a design to finish off the left hand side of the table this week. Better late than never! (Apologies in advance to all the real artists, graphic designers, tattoo artists and woodworkers here on the forum. I'm a total hack!)

EndTable2013.JPGEndTable2023.jpgTiger2023a.jpg

Whoa!..wish you lived close. I'd have you do a snare case for me you name the fee. What a lucky daughter..what a lucky Dad. That means so much more than buying it already done. It's a forever tribute to papa loves his baby girl.

Last edited:
that tiger is freaking crazy!!!!

I have a ton of unfinished projects you are welcome to here at my place!!!

Soo, taking that long to finish up does remind me of a joke - the one where the Husband says to the Wife, "Don't nag, I told you I'd get it done! There is no need to remind me every ten years..."

Soo, taking that long to finish up does remind me of a joke - the one where the Husband says to the Wife, "Don't nag, I told you I'd get it done! There is no need to remind me every ten years..."

so true story:

my parents moved in to our family house in 1977. It was definitely a fixer upper, and dad was hell bent on doing all the work himself. He was an electrician by trade, and good with his hands in general. So, he started tearing things out, including all of the light fixtures. As the years passed, he literally redid every inch of that house, and made it better than they had found it when they moved in....except for the light fixture in the upstairs hallway.

So the years went by, and mom nagged him all the time about the hallway light. He always said "I'll get it when I get this project done", referrign to whatever curren thing was going on. At about age 65, Alzheimers started setting in, and the projects slowed down, and eventually stopped. They had to move out of the house 5 years ago due to it being too big for them to upkeep. They moved out after 45 years, and when the house got sold - to a very cool couple who we are so glad that they got the house, I told them the story of the "45 year unfinished project", and they laughed about it....and swore to leave it unfinished in honor of him. You can see it from the street if the blinds in the front room are up, and to this day, it still sits unfinished.

Beautifully done, sir!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Here's the beginning of the other side (pictured below). I chose an eye of providence design. As far as my daughter is concerned she thinks it's officially done. But when I have time I'm going to add one more design arching across the top of this side and two small mirrored images on the lower right and left.

Now accepting applications for the Procrastination Club.

Eye of Providence 4.jpg

Back