Best Snare Wires for LM400?

DizzyApps

Recently acquired an LM400 that came with the original snare wires from 1978, but I’m looking to eventually replace them. What would you guys suggest? Is 30-strand too much for a 5” drum?

In my opinion yes, 30-strands is too much. I prefer 14 or 16-strand sets on my snares. A 16-strand Gibraltar set is what I'm using on my aluminum snare and it has plenty of snare response but also lets the shell tone come through as well. In my experience the larger sets overwhelm the sound of the drum and are harder to control.

Solely, entirely depends on the sound you're looking for and the heads you have on (a thinner snare side head will give you a bit more sensitivity but a bit less crack for example).
I personally don't think a 30 strand is too much for a 5" drum, more to the point I remember an LA (I think it was LA at least) drum rental service offering a 14x5" worldmax black-nickel-over-brass snare fitted with die cast hoops and 30 strand snare wires, they call it the "Hitmaker".
If you're not sure I suggest you get the 30 strand wires and try it out, worst thing that can happen is you don't like it and will have a spare to use on another snare in the future.

I have a LM402 with 30 strand Puresounds on. Sounds stunning. On a 5 I would probably go for 24 strand maximum.

Nice thing about Ludwig metal shells is the wide shallow snare beds, so you can use pretty much any number of wires. Personally I like 16-20 strand on that type of drum, but lots of loud rockers enjoy a 42 strand.

Im hoping to get some insight from this thread. I have never changed snare wires on any drum I've owned and always felt like I was the only one who didn't. I see a lot of posts for new snares and the owners change heads and wires right away. I use a 5 inch LM400 and i like the sound it makes but will new wires actually do? do they help sensitivity or just the sound?

For greater articulation try Puresound 12-strand Concert wires. For greater snare presence Canopus Vintage Nickel-Plated 20-strand wires are incredible!

I highly recommend Tama's MS20RL14C Hi Carbon wires. (They're also referred to/described as super sensitive or snappy wires). These are stock on all Tama's high end Star, Starphonic and some SLP snare drums. I have these on my LM400, LM402, Black Beauty and most of my other snares. These are extremely sensitive and to my ears, add body to the overall snare sound. I've me$$ed around with a lot of wires - DFD, Sonor, Ludwig, Gibraltar, Fat Cat, Puresound, etc. The secret? The Tama wires are just a bit shorter than most standard 14" wires, so there's rarely any residual buzz and they accommodate the snare bed better. Just my opinion of course but check them out if you can. A close 2nd would Canopus wires. I've only tried the vintage type but with great results. Good luck!

Im hoping to get some insight from this thread. I have never changed snare wires on any drum I've owned and always felt like I was the only one who didn't. I see a lot of posts for new snares and the owners change heads and wires right away. I use a 5 inch LM400 and i like the sound it makes but will new wires actually do? do they help sensitivity or just the sound?
Both the sensitivity and the tone can potentially change. Sometimes a lot, sometimes just by the finest hair of difference. I also recommend trying different cords or ribbons, because their different thickness and elasticity can also change how the wires respond and sound.

My favorite brands are Fat Cat, Canopus, and Tama. I also love the old Ludwigs with the amber plastic ends.

Thought this was a great comparison video which LM400 and LM402 get covered. Time stamps are in the description.

I believe the VF wires are Canopus wires just made to VF's specs. I got the 26 strand which sound fantastic for what I have (not a supra).

I'm in the minority, but I have the best luck using the cheapest snare wires I can find. I've had 2-3 sets of Pure Sounds, and I've used them on a handful of snares, and I can never get them to sound good. Sets that cost about $10 always sound the best to me. As always, YMMV.

Stock Ludwig snares. Seriously. I'd go for the 18-strand sets they're making these days, but I haven't found anything I like better on my LM400 than standard chrome Ludwig snares; mine came with 20-strand and I'm thrilled with the way it sounds. Fancier snare wires start to stray from "that" LM400 sound. And attach those snares with cord.

I've ran everything between 42 strand and the old stock Ludwig snare wires on my 400. They all sound great so tailor it to the music you're going to be playing.

I have 20 strand puresound blasters on it at the moment and they make the snare a bit drier but the sensitivity is still there.

There are no set rules. Do you tune high or low? Do you like your snare ringy or dry? What do you play for music? Do you hit hard or soft? Those questions need to be answered. I like 30 to 42 strand snares because I like the sensitivity. I use a set of 30 strand on my Supra because it's a naturally dry sounding shell. Brass & steel shells are a little more ringy tone wise. But I have a few drums I run a 16 or 20 strand. Unless you try some things you won't know what sounds best. We all play different. Good luck with your new drum.

Btw-I have a 30 strand on a brass Pearl Sensitone 1st gen drum that sounds amazing.

Back