Best Lug Options for Custom Drums?

RobertM

Platinum Member
I’m planning to put together some tom toms and would like to what lugs folks recommend. Ideally, I’d like solid brass lugs with swivel receiver so that there’s no lug splay, but I also don’t want to be paying $15 per lug, for example.

Any good recommendations?

You could always see if there's a drum kit for sale in your area that has the hardware you want for a good price. You can always buy the drums and then strip the hardware off of them. Sometimes this is cheaper!

I hate lug splay. I see it everywhere. Drum Factory Direct has some cast lugs with anti splay (self alignment) inserts.

These guys!!

I've bought so many hard to find or complimentary parts from them for my drum builds that I practically own stock in their company. :ROFLMAO:

They may be pricey for some things, but what they offer in one place would take you a few places to gather up.

These guys!!

I've bought so many hard to find or complimentary parts from them for my drum builds that I practically own stock in their company. :ROFLMAO:

They may be pricey for some things, but what they offer in one place would take you a few places to gather up.
Ross: do you recommend any particular lugs? I was looking at Eames shells but I am not fond of the house lug hardware.

You could always see if there's a drum kit for sale in your area that has the hardware you want for a good price. You can always buy the drums and then strip the hardware off of them. Sometimes this is cheaper!

^^^. This can work.....

I have not done it for a full kit but I built several snares over the years and my first test was with a Keller shell and I picked up a Gretsch Catalina snare in the same size for like $50 used......that drum still sounds great.

Just have to be really spot on with your drilling layout........

But for all other builds I have used DFD or similar for lugs and hardware.

Ross: do you recommend any particular lugs? I was looking at Eames shells but I am not fond of the house lug hardware.
He uses the center mount or tube design, so if your shells are blank, you could go the individual route. I did this with a mystery shell that I happened to have 16 small lugs that fit. It's the drum I'm holding in my avatar. I built that one from scratch & did all the off-set drilling to make those lugs work.

DFD will have every size & color combo you could want, so the question is: What color do you plan to make the drum & what lug color compliments that? ;)

I was looking at Eames shells but I am not fond of the house lug hardware.
What kind of Eames were you thinking? I've fantasized of getting an Eames shell and have it finished at N&C. Since they restore and refurbish, I thought they would entertain the idea.

What kind of Eames were you thinking? I've fantasized of getting an Eames shell and have it finished at N&C. Since they restore and refurbish, I thought they would entertain the idea.
If I go with Eames, I’d probably get the Naturaltone shell (9 ply/9mm).

I’m planning to put together some tom toms and would like to what lugs folks recommend. Ideally, I’d like solid brass lugs with swivel receiver so that there’s no lug splay, but I also don’t want to be paying $15 per lug, for example.

Any good recommendations?

OK RobertM.. What did you finally purchase and get put together ??.. We have all been waiting for the reveal !!!

Back