Best drum music notation software

I use Reflow (for iPad or iPhone) Larry.
It can do most things a drummer would need (except drags, currently, but I have raised it with them and they are working on it).
It plays back grooves, saves to a variety of formats and prints to PDF...
It's a great app for a great price (about $5).

I mainly use Finale. It is incredibly deep with a serious learning curve. I've been at it since '98 and it still kicks my butt!

All of the music that I have on the Drummerworld main page has been done with Finale.

Larry, if you have any questions feel free to send a message my way.

I've used Sibelius for a couple of Drumhead and Drum mag pieces, and it's a bit easier to learn. In my experience, I haven't found all of the functions that I need with layout, etc so I stick with Finale.

… that's probably too much information, but hope it might help.

Terry

How kind of you Terry, thank you.

I use Reflow (for iPad or iPhone) Larry.
It can do most things a drummer would need (except drags, currently, but I have raised it with them and they are working on it).
It plays back grooves, saves to a variety of formats and prints to PDF...
It's a great app for a great price (about $5).

Yea but Terry is offering support if I use Finale lol. Plus I don't own anything by Apple. But thanks anyway!

What updates or new software has been released now that it's 2019? I'm looking to find a good piece of software that will keep notations in an editable form and be able to cut and paste into other files.

Sibelius First (the freeware version) has all the features you need. I teach "Introduction to Sibelius" classes several times a year, so if you have any questions just ask.

Sibelius First (the freeware version) has all the features you need. I teach "Introduction to Sibelius" classes several times a year, so if you have any questions just ask.

Can it notate flams and drags? I have Reflow, which I find pretty good, but it can't notate drags; it can notate flams, but they sound awful on playback.

Notion from Presonus.
Works even with the touch screen of iPads or Windows laptops.
So you can by hand on the screen and they convert it in the score.
They have dedicated drum charts and I find it rather intuitive, compared to Finale and Sibelius.

Can it notate flams and drags? I have Reflow, which I find pretty good, but it can't notate drags; it can notate flams, but they sound awful on playback.
The free version of Sibelius prints and plays flams and rolls, but not drags.

Anyone tried Pizzicato (Drums & Percussion version obvs.)?
The website looks a bit olde school but perhaps the software is OK.
I've not tried it yet, (still looking), but like the sound of MIDI input if you can connect e-drums and either play to generate the music score or combine playing a music score of what you wanted to play and see what you're actually playing (for practice). This later way of using software is actually what I'm interested in finding so feel free to point me at something able to do that, (currently using Melodics but, deffo' does zero for making music scores, you can't input your own lessons and it shows blobs instead of proper music notation).
Link to Pizzicato drum version is: http://www.arpegemusic.com/pizzicato-percussions.htm
BTW; I am nothing to do with them, just posting the web address to be helpful.

Back