Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

I believe credits weren't really a thing on pop recordings back then, not to that extent.

There are quite a few Beatles songs on which Ringo didn't play — such as "Yesterday," or "Eleanor Rigby" or "Julia," which are without drums — but I assume you mean Beatles recordings of songs that do have drums but which are played by others.

Session drummer Andy White played on "Love Me Do" and "PS I Love You" ... as did Pete Best and Ringo. Producer George Martin correctly assessed that Pete Best wasn't good enough, so he hired Andy White, not knowing that the Beatles had since replaced Pete with Ringo.

Paul plays drums on "Back in the USSR" and "Dear Prudence," because Ringo had temporarily quit the group; John and George also play drums on "Back in the USSR" in one big melange of drumming. Paul played drums on "Martha, My Dear," just 'cuz, apparently, since Ringo had already rejoined the band by then.

Paul plays drums on "The Ballad of John & Yoko," because Ringo (and George) were unavailable and John wanted to record it right away.
Thanks for the breakdown 👍

Yeah I tend to agree credits weren't a big thing back in the early 60s on LPs. I guess my point is there are probably thousands of songs where the masses believe that a certain musician played on a certain song when it was someone else. And the masses were led to and allowed to believe it. Usually in a well established band where fans have an attachment to the members. No bigger example of that then The Monkees. As for Purdie I personally just don't care about it. Jimmy Page was sued successfully over credit for the song "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" and for 30 years he took credit (and cash) for writing it but when I'm listening to When The Levee Breaks Im not like...damn that Jimmy Page! The business side of music can be rotten and ruthless and if we knew one tenth of the dirt we'd all be quite disappointed in many. And as far as I know neither Purdie nor Ringo ever suffered financially or professionally for anything Bernard said about playing on Beatles records.
I know I've been warned but I'm still a Pretty Purdie fan.

read Reason 2 in full

that's the most succinct way to put it case closed

read Reason 2 in full

that's the most succinct way to put it case closed
I love Ringo too.👍

Re: Bernhard Purdie

Some people on youtube posted this:

flapsnappy (4 months ago)
I was a Purdie fan until I did research on the artists and records HE said he played on/with. Turned out he's a patalogical liar. He claims he played on mostly all of the Beatles records! Most of the Bowie records. McCartney and Bowie laughed when I brought this up. Sometimes you dig yourself so deep ya can't get out. The sad thing is he doe's have the groove from hell and should just let the drumming do the talking. Take the 'AJA' record for instance.

CLWarunki (2 months ago)
You might have a point there, but nobody can prove wether or not he did or didn't ghost on any beatles sessions etc... so it's still a mystery, but with all his credentials WHY WOULD HE NEED TO LIE!? Oh and "Aja" was not just Purdie... remember Gadd? I think there was a 3rd drummer on that record too. So you know Bowie and McCartney personally eh?

theonlyrealMugsy (2 months ago)
I think Bernard was the no.1 drum call in L.A. It's a documented fact that there were some ghost drums on Beatle Albums. Just who remained a secret so youngsters weren't disallusioned with their heroes. BP wouldn't have to lie about a thing. His talent lies in laying it down under pressure of tape rolling without choking. That's why he's the man.

Anyone knows if some of that is true?? Or did these guys just wanted some attention?
Hal Blaine was the the number one drum call in LA. The post was right, Purdie is a great drummer but unfortunately a pathological liar. Some people are making a very misguided assumption about pathological liars. Having that disorder doesn't mean that the person doesn't have a great deal of talent and legitimate success.

I would have more respect for Pretty Purdie....

IF HE DIDN'T PLAY ON THE BEATLES ALBUMNS.

Let's face it, the Beatles were great poets. THEY WERE NOT KICK ASS, TAKE NO PRISONER MUSICIANS.

Ringo Starr is like Don Brewer - Garage band drummers. Nothing more and nothing less. Name me 5 complicated grooves from Ringo. Now name me 5 grooves from Jabo Starks, David Garibaldi, Jeff Pocaro, Steve Gadd, etc. Get the point?

If BP said he played on James Brown ablumns that actually had ground breaking new grooves then we would have something to talk about. But the Beatles? No drummer ear candy comes from Ringo.

jason
Jason, pathological liar Purdie does actually claim to have played on classic James Brown songs. He is a great musician but he has a serious mental disorder. The man is on video, and you can see it on YouTube, speaking at a drum clinic or event answering questions and he makes the statement "The Beatles had four drummers who played on their recordings and Ringo wasn't one of them." Purdie also said a similar thing in Max Weinberg's book. He said that Ringo didn't play on any of The Beatles songs. Purdie also said that he played on alll the Stones early recordings, not Charlie Watts. Purdie is so full of BS it's unbelievable.

More Purdie awesomeness:

Here's an interesting thing from Wikipedia about BP's claims of being a hidden Beatle - I hadn't seen this before:
In the same year original Beatles drummer Pete Best and guitarist Tony Sheridan recorded tracks in Hamburg with the Beatles. Later Bernard Purdie added drum overdubs to tracks from these sessions,[6] including "Ain't She Sweet", "Take Out Some Insurance on Me Baby" and "Sweet Georgia Brown".[7] The main reason for this was to give them a punchier sound for the US market. These tracks were eventually released on January 31, 1964 by Polydor.[8] Ringo Starr's physical approach to drumming was probably influenced by Purdie's Motown style.[9]
That is a very likely possibility and it could be the reason that this whole tall tale by Purdie started. But Purdie didn't stop there. He not only embellished this story beyond belief, he out and out lied and that is disgraceful. I have no respect for him as a person.

That's the rumour.

Although how he managed to pull that off given the Beatles recordings of that era were all done on 4 track, is beyond me. How the hell does one manage to track over drums that have already been bounced down numerous times already?

His story just doesn't add up. Unless he was in the original sessions, I just can't see how the technology of the day allows for this claim.
Oh Purdie was at Abbey Road for the original sessions. He was at the BBC for those sessions. He was sitting behind the curtain on the Ed Sullivan show actually playing instead of Ringo. And Purdie was actually playing at all the Get Back sessions. They just used trick photography. Seriously, just look up the traits of a pathological liar. It's a legitimate mental disorder and there are a lot of people who suffer from it. My belief is that Purdie made this stuff up because he may have played on the Tony Sheridan Beatle recordings. He then embellished that because it was easier to get away with stuff like that back then. There was no internet in 1962. No books detailing every minute detail of recording sessions for people to read. There were lots of ghost drummers and Purdie is a guy, a talented guy, who unfortunately is full of tall tales. He was also extremely jealous of Hal Blaine who played on more hits and probably made a lot more money.

In my mind Purdie is in the legend category. I remember reading back in the 80s about him saying he played on a few Beatles tracks. I didn't make much of it then and I don't now. If you look back at the body of Purdie's work it's enormous. I was recently watching some of the old Alan Freed Rock and Roll shows at The Paramount Theater from the 1950s on PBS. I'm sittin there watching and suddenly noticed the drummer for all these legendary 50s acts was Pretty Purdie. The guy's a drum legend imo.
So because you don't remember reading back in the 80's about him saying he played on a few Beatles tracks that means it didn't happen? Well, you need to do some research. Because in the 1980's Max Weinberg wrote a book called The Big Beat, and in his chapter and interview with Purdie, Purdie claims that he played on many Beatle tracks in the 60's. Not just "a few." He also claims that Ringo "didn't play on any of the Beatle recordings." He has repeated that claim many times through the years. He is on video at a drum clinic saying that "There were four drummers who played on The Beatles songs and Ringo wasn't one of them." That is a quote. You just can't dismiss something making false claims like that. Taking credit for another musicians work is disgraceful. He also claims to have played on the early Rolling Stones songs instead of Charlie Watts. The fact that Purdie is a legendary drummer with an amazing body of work has nothing to do with the fact that it's wrong to lie about something so important. And Purdie didn't just embellish, he downright lied. His tremendous skill as a drummer has nothing to with it.
Right, Bernard Purdie is a legend, and that’s all that counts in the end.

So because you don't remember reading back in the 80's about him saying he played on a few Beatles tracks that means it didn't happen? Well, you need to do some research. Because in the 1980's Max Weinberg wrote a book called The Big Beat, and in his chapter and interview with Purdie, Purdie claims that he played on many Beatle tracks in the 60's. Not just "a few." He also claims that Ringo "didn't play on any of the Beatle recordings." He has repeated that claim many times through the years. He is on video at a drum clinic saying that "There were four drummers who played on The Beatles songs and Ringo wasn't one of them." That is a quote. You just can't dismiss something making false claims like that. Taking credit for another musicians work is disgraceful. He also claims to have played on the early Rolling Stones songs instead of Charlie Watts. The fact that Purdie is a legendary drummer with an amazing body of work has nothing to do with the fact that it's wrong to lie about something so important. And Purdie didn't just embellish, he downright lied. His tremendous skill as a drummer has nothing to with it.
Right, Bernard Purdie is a legend, and that’s all that counts in the end.
No Joe, the truth matters too!

Actually if you read what I said I said I DO remember...

who cares what he said (or thought who Tony Sheridan was or was told who he was...)
He recorded Royal Scam Babylon Sisters all of which tops "My Bonnie" or "Ain't She Sweet"

Last edited:
Well i searched for it, and i couldnt believe he wasnt on there!

Bernhard Purdie is a drummer that doesnt show off his chops that much, but he plays with more groove and feeling than any other drummer iv seen.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bernard_Purdie.html

not to mention hes hillarios to listen to.

check him out
bernanrd purdies purdie shuffle explanation video is what got me back into drumming after 10 years away. my neighbours have him to thank.

And if you'll look over at Son Of Vistalite Black's post about 26 autobiographies of drummers you'll see I recommended Weinberg's book, before you spouted off BTW... BTW I bought that book new in it's first edition... probably where I DO remember reading about BP and the Beatles. I still don't care.

Read before you speak friend.
joe drum, obviously misread and thought that you said you don't remember reading that Purdie had said back in the 80's. I made a mistake and I want to apologize to you for that. I felt that you were dismissing the significance of what Purdie has been saying since 1967. To me this is a very important issue because Purdie basically started a lie and it's a rather serious issue to say specifically that Ringo didn't play on any of The Beatles recordings. It's an outrageous lie. A lot of people believe this because they don't know any better. But I'm sorry that I misquoted you, there is no excuse for that and it's a mistake on my part. I owe you an apology my friend.

joe drum, obviously misread and thought that you said you don't remember reading that Purdie had said back in the 80's. I made a mistake and I want to apologize to you for that. I felt that you were dismissing the significance of what Purdie has been saying since 1967. To me this is a very important issue because Purdie basically started a lie and it's a rather serious issue to say specifically that Ringo didn't play on any of The Beatles recordings. It's an outrageous lie. A lot of people believe this because they don't know any better. But I'm sorry that I misquoted you, there is no excuse for that and it's a mistake on my part. I owe you an apology my friend.
Hey! STAXfan (I'm one myself BTW)! No sweat my friend... I'd be a millionaire if I got a dime for every mistake I've made...umm... actually make that a nickel! Differing opinions are what keep forums like this going in large part. Gotta expect a few fireworks once in awhile especially on a site dedicated to people who actually enjoy pounding on things with sticks! 😳

Talk soon friend 👍

Back