Beater weight issue..

So, being a fairly new drummer (6 years) i never put much thought into beaters, i have used a few vintage bombers since i started playing. Recently i bought a DW 2 sided rubber/felt beater. I have never put anything thought into beater weight at all but since getting this beater i cannot pull off triples on the bass pretty much at all, and doubles i had to work back up.

My main question is, is it the heavier beater that is giving me the issue, or is it me just needing to build up to be able to do the same stuff with a heavier beater? It just feels kind of sluggish to me now. I LOVE the sound of the felt side though.. Should i build up my leg and hope it gets better or just cut the rubber side off on a bandsaw since the sound is kind of bad anyway..

I had never even thought about different weights of beaters, seems there is always more to learn :)

It's just like a stick. If you add weight, something has to give. Your foot is moving more mass, the muscles have to build to meet the requirements. Or like weightlifting, you add weight, reps become harder.

Someone makes a weight for beater shafts. If you have one, you can negate the extra mass by putting the weight UNDER the beater holder. If you put it above, it just adds more mass.

EDIT: Pearl, Tama, and DW all make a beater weight. They are less than $20.

Yeah, beater weight can be tricky. Something I've recently discovered is that when you move to a heavier beater, loosening the spring tension can give you a similar feel to what you had before. And the reverse goes for moving to a lighter beater. It will still be a different feel but it should make it easier for you to adapt your technique.

So, being a fairly new drummer (6 years) i never put much thought into beaters, i have used a few vintage bombers since i started playing. Recently i bought a DW 2 sided rubber/felt beater. I have never put anything thought into beater weight at all but since getting this beater i cannot pull off triples on the bass pretty much at all, and doubles i had to work back up.

My main question is, is it the heavier beater that is giving me the issue, or is it me just needing to build up to be able to do the same stuff with a heavier beater? It just feels kind of sluggish to me now. I LOVE the sound of the felt side though.. Should i build up my leg and hope it gets better or just cut the rubber side off on a bandsaw since the sound is kind of bad anyway..

I had never even thought about different weights of beaters, seems there is always more to learn :)

You can also shorten the length of the rod in the mechanism. That will give you the same result as going lighter. Whatever you do, trade offs will follow.

1/2 inch should be about all you’d need to get the same feel.

Pete

Man, if you adjusted my spring tension i might not notice right away.
But if you swapped my beater, I can feel it immediately.

I own multiple beaters because they all have a different feel. Not just the material but the weight & balance.

Thanks a ton guys :) And pete, i hadn't thought of cutting it down a little if need be. But i think remove some of the rubber side might be the way, i'm going to use it for a bit though and see if i can get back to where i was first, i like the sound of the heavier one, just not the feel so far.

Thanks a ton guys :) And pete, i hadn't thought of cutting it down a little if need be. But i think remove some of the rubber side might be the way, i'm going to use it for a bit though and see if i can get back to where i was first, i like the sound of the heavier one, just not the feel so far.
Give it a week. You wont even notice next saturday.

P.S. i should have weighed my beaters, will do tonight just out of curiousity, i found a webpage that lists some beater weights, most are 85-92g this one 105g. I never would have thought bout that.. but of course it makes sense..

Whoa, don't cut it. There are adjustment screws in every pedal. Just loosen them and slide the beater down 1/2. That way you don't change anything permanently.

Pete

FYI I Have a Vic Firth felt beater (lolly pop shape) and this beater has beautiful balance,tone, and feel to it, only draw back if you use the edge beater position it dents your bd head very fast , need heavy bd patch

FYI I Have a Vic Firth felt beater (lolly pop shape) and this beater has beautiful balance,tone, and feel to it, only draw back if you use the edge beater position it dents your bd head very fast , need heavy bd patch

Yep. I use that same one on a Yamaha gig pedal. My fav so far.

I can’t stand DW beaters precisely because of how heavy and sluggish feeling they are. I guess if you only play 4-on-the-floor bass drum grooves they’re probably fine, but for playing quick doubles or triples, forget it. That’s why I only play Yamaha or Iron Cobra beaters, which are very lightweight yet can be fine tuned with beater weights.

Last edited:
I LOVE the sound of the felt side though.. Should i build up my leg and hope it gets better or just cut the rubber side off on a bandsaw since the sound is kind of bad anyway..
That DW beater is quite heavy. I don't like it. Get the Yamaha beater, which is WAY lighter:

P.S. i should have weighed my beaters, will do tonight just out of curiousity, i found a webpage that lists some beater weights, most are 85-92g this one 105g. I never would have thought bout that.. but of course it makes sense..
Curiosity got to me. The Pearl DuoBeat beater weighs 87g. I weighed it 3 times all with the same result.

Thanks, i might get the yamaha.. it's looking like i will have to take a break from drumming for a bit though, bout a month ago i crashed on my mountain bike and broke something in my back/left shoulder, was hoping it would heal but everytime i drum i feels some shift under my skin, than hours of stabbing pain.. :(
Might have to take time off to see if this heals up.. worried it's going to be a lifetime of this though.

If you like the sound you get with the new beater, just build your foot up to do what you want again.

It'll probably take less time than you think. Then when you're up to speed with the heavier beater, you can switch them out for different sounds and be able to do anything you want.

I'm usually the odd man out on gear--seems so with beaters as well! I used a DW duo beater with a weight under the beater head for almost 25 years!
Now I endorse Creative Percussion products and favor the heavier beaters a bit more.
Their beaters have a pivoting beater and the Elite model has a shock absorber type thing inside.
The main beater I use is a Poplar "stealth" Elite model. It has a black coating that has a sound in between a wood/plastic and hard felt.Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 1.12.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-01 at 1.48.29 PM.png
It's really great. I can get a standard volume, or a heavy sound, and it feels very smooth and easy. There is no fatigue in my foot/ankle/shin at any time since I switched to the CP products a couple years ago.

I hope your injuries heal up quickly!

Back