BBC Documentary about Rock n' Roll - The Drummer

What I see that's funny is that they're NOT TRUE. That's what makes all those kinds of jokes funny. Drummers are so frequently the Together ones in the band, so much so that I think I could probably count all the truly deserving of the drummer jokes on one hand, if that. Every single profession has jokes like that.

Another thing I liked about the doc was that all the people interviewed had anywhere from a little to plenty self-deprecating humor, and they could roll with the barbs. Roger Taylor knows, even though there are jokes that say so, that it really doesn't take he and 99 of his drummer pals to screw in a lightbulb.

We are drummers. It's not an ethnicity. It's not a skin color. It is ability to play a musical instrument. I can screw in a lightbulb myself, and I know that. I also know that my drums can speak for themselves, and often do. And I always hear the best drummer jokes from fellow drummers.

Mikey, you have resume all this aspect of "drummers jokes" to a tee, a perfect post regarding that "hot" subject being discussed in this thread :)

Thanks for the support Daisy. No one must be sick of the jokes as much as me I guess. Except my girl Daisy. I go into a lot of detail about how I feel here, but outwardly, all I'm saying is if someone tosses me a drummer joke, my whole agenda is about the snappy comeback. Instead of just laughing it off, I am encouraging a smile, with a witty comment designed to give the person a more powerful taste of their own medicine, and let them deal with being the butt. That's all. I wouldn't get all wacky over it like I am here, I would just cut into them right back, that's all. Just offer a snappy comeback, maybe even get a little personal to make a point, perhaps ridiculing a clothing choice, hairstyle, or something of the like. That's all I am saying. Hey it's all a joke anyway, right? I just want to reverse positions with the D-bag, and let him squirm, so I have the upper hand, that's all. That would make me feel good to fire something right back. One small step for a drummer, one giant leap for drumming-kind, that's what I'm talking about.

Long live the snappy comeback. Just as useful as the single stroke, the double stroke and the flam. Drummers should have a whole arsenal of snappy comebacks. Perhaps I'll write a book. Any suggestions?

I know what fun is. I also know what bad manners are. Good manners are rooted in consideration for others. Casual, repetitive piss-taking is not good manners. No "hatred" and "ostracism" involved, no "political correctness" - just bad manners.

Jumping at an easy target for a cheap laugh at their expense ... I don't see what's funny.

Are you an easy target???? I am a drummer, also, and I do not see myself as an easy target at all. Why would you assume that because someone cracks a drummer joke it is aimed at you personally?
Jokes, in my opinion, are merely banter. If you give banter you have to take it. None of it is malicious. If you feel it is, you hang with the wrong people, or your skin is too thin.

Perhaps I'll write a book. Any suggestions?

... for the title or the content :)

The title... "I'm a drummer, what's your excuse?"

The preface... written by Daisy from Drummerworld :)

The content... ask Grea :)

You're cool Larry, you know that, do you?

There is a problem though...drummers aren't a gender , race or nationality.
You guys are really comparing what , people of colour , woman and jews, have gone through...... with ....drummers ??????

What about colorless people, have they always had it good or? I didn't see anyone mention "people of colour , woman and jews,", so are you suggesting that only colorless males can be racist? And what is with the racist "people of colour" comment anyway, are blond, brunette, and red heads devoid of color? How about those with blue, green, gray, brown, and hazle eyes? As a matter of fact, I would even venture to say so called colorless people seem to come in many colorful arrangements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bigbang
There is a problem though...drummers aren't a gender , race or nationality.
You guys are really comparing what , people of colour , woman and jews, have gone through...... with ....drummers ??????
yeah. that is a little heavy ---- and in the past. this is 2012.
i'm colourless - er scottish decent and we were prejuidiced against by the english. i don't gripe. that was great great great grandad's problems.

the fact is any group of people set aside and lumped together and given a rough time in any way due to something arbitrary like race creed religion or ... choice of insrument, that is just wrong. but yeah at least guitarists are not wearing sheets and burning crosses in our front yards.

and at the end of the day - humans rip into things 9/10 out of jealousy. they all know we chose the coolest instrument.

yeah. that is a little heavy ---- and in the past. this is 2012.
i'm colourless - er scottish decent and we were prejuidiced against by the english. i don't gripe. that was great great great grandad's problems.

the fact is any group of people set aside and lumped together and given a rough time in any way due to something arbitrary like race creed religion or ... choice of insrument, that is just wrong. but yeah at least guitarists are not wearing sheets and burning crosses in our front yards.

and at the end of the day - humans rip into things 9/10 out of jealousy. they all know we chose the coolest instrument.

How did this degenerate into a "can you take a joke or not" thread?

There seems to be a measure of "Victim culture" in this. I am a drummer so I have to feel like a persecuted minority? What the!!!!! People are not jealous because we are drummers, they don't care, and neither do I. I play the drums cos I like it and If I could think of a good drummer joke, myself, I would tell it to my friends and they would laugh. Not at me, cos I am a drummer, but at the joke, If it was funny.

Despite being on this side of the pond, I've generally liked UK humor, even as a kid.
Benny Hill, Monty Pylon, Douglas Adams.

So I guess it's why I liked this too. LOL.

"I'm a lumber jack and I'm ok..."

You, sir, are the exception that proves the rule... There's always one. On a trip to LA, I stood in the middle of the Hollywood bowl, reciting the albatross sketch for my daughters, and the tour guide got that too. See, it's not lost on all of you.... ;0)

How did this degenerate into a "can you take a joke or not" thread?

There seems to be a measure of "Victim culture" in this. I am a drummer so I have to feel like a persecuted minority? What the!!!!! People are not jealous because we are drummers, they don't care, and neither do I. I play the drums cos I like it and If I could think of a good drummer joke, myself, I would tell it to my friends and they would laugh. Not at me, cos I am a drummer, but at the joke, If it was funny.

so you - er - didn't get my tongue in cheek.

You, sir, are the exception that proves the rule... There's always one. On a trip to LA, I stood in the middle of the Hollywood bowl, reciting the albatross sketch for my daughters, and the tour guide got that too. See, it's not lost on all of you.... ;0)

Actually,you may be surprised how many Americans love British humor.My introduction to it was in the early 70's,watching Monty Python and Benny Hill reruns on public TV on Sunday nights.

I'm also a huge Peter Sellers fan,since seeing Dr.Strangelove,and Blake Edwards Pink Panther movies.Inspector Jacques Clouseau and Herbert Loms portayal of Chief inspector Dreyfus is some of funniest stuff I have ever seen.on either side of the pond.

C'mon really. Clouseau:"Messieur,does your dog bite?

Clerk:"No,my dog does not bite

Clouseau:pets dog,gets bitten."I thought you said your dog does not bite"

Clerk:"Messieur......that is not my dog."

Priceless.Monty Python...the Bureau of silly walks,and the Dead Parrot skit

Steve B:)

Steve B

I think I might have a little chat with the wall - get the same result. I think the joke about how with drum machines you only have to punch the information in once seems to have some merit.

I think drummers were depicted just right for the most part. I didn't feel attacked in the least. Some drummers are ok sitting in the shadows, while others spend their days trying to be noticed. Some in positive ways, and some in destructive ways. They pretty much talked about how important we were through the whole program. Worked for me.

OP Thanks for that.
Overall I'm glad to see the drummers get some attention. I would guess that NONE of the 6 episodes in the series feature "the bassist" lol.

I have to agree it was full of cliches, and spent WAY too much time on Moons and Bonham's excesses and deaths, which are not what drums are about.
On the up-side It emphasized the foundations, that was as strong point.

How great it would be to have every band you've ever been in hear Stings' quote at 1:45..."you're only as good as your drummer....any band is only as good as its drummer".
That is what to take away from this flick.

Actually,you may be surprised how many Americans love British humor.My introduction to it was in the early 70's,watching Monty Python and Benny Hill reruns on public TV on Sunday nights.

I'm also a huge Peter Sellers fan,since seeing Dr.Strangelove,and Blake Edwards Pink Panther movies.Inspector Jacques Clouseau and Herbert Loms portayal of Chief inspector Dreyfus is some of funniest stuff I have ever seen.on either side of the pond.

Steve B

Ah Steve, so you're the other one ;0)

Steve B
Somehow, I just knew you'd get this stuff Steve :)

I thought this was great!!! I see a lot of comments on here saying they'd rather the documentary be done BY drummers, but hey look at it this way, we're not in this business to impress "other drummers" or just playing and performing "other drummers", so the opinions of non-drummers and even non-musicians is extremely important. Yes it was a bit comical and stereotypical but hey all stereotypes are based in at least "some" truth. I think this a great docuntary for non-musicians to learn something about drummers. I loved the short interviews with a lot of different drummers. I loved them quoting John Densmore on his theory of drums bringing us as humans back to that most primal of musical concepts; the beat. The part where they got to John Bonham and Keith Moon's death was very touching, and talking about Jason Bonhams rise and his eventually playing for Led Zeppelin, the scenes they show of him playing with band are very heart warming and make you proud of him. All in all, makes me proud to be a drummer, and I shared this on my facebook page telling all my fb friends that this is a great documentary for non-drummers and non-musicians to watch. Good job BBC.

Back