Bass Drum Size

Wikki

Hello there,

This is my first post. I am in the final stages of buying a new kit but am getting cold feet, or feeling anxious, regarding bass drum sizes.

The new kit I am looking at is a Ludwig Classic Maple in Blue Sparkle : 16 x 22, 9 x 13 and 16 x 16.

I spent a long time trying to decide out of 14 x 22, 16 x 22 and 14 x 24 for my bass drum size.

To provide some context, my previous kit was a Pearl Masterworks in 16 x 24, 10 x 13, and 16 x 18. Although I play in a rock band, and am known as a hard hitter, I still craved some dynamic range and resonance as my playing also has some subtler moments and quieter songs that the big drums just couldn't deliver.

I play in a range of venues and found that in the smaller venues my kit was far too loud and hard to control.

As a result, I started investigating different sizes. My music and playing has become even more dynamic since, with influences ranging from Hal Blaine, Levon Helm through to the rockier drummers, Keith Moon, Bonzo, Mitch Mitchell, et al

In addition to this, I should state I am NOT a fan of the deep kick drums of today. It is like a fad, and I just hate the excessively deep kick drums. I do however enjoy a bit of boom, and a lower pitched bass note. As a result of this I started the debate with 14 x 24 as a preference, low fundamental with short note. More attack, less boom. I then started worrying about versatility and started looking at 14 x 22 vs 16 x 22.

I have settled on 16 x 22 for now, but there seems to be a lot more 14 x 22 kits out there in the makes and models I prefer (Ludwig, C&C, Rogers, Slingerland).

As far as $$ goes I have roughly $2,500 (USD) to spend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I should also close by saying I relaise heads and tuning contributes a lot to bass drum sound. Any advice regarding heads would also be appreciated. I am currently a Remo Emperor man.

I too am fed up with overly deep bass drums. My current 18x20 lacks the umph of my old 14x20" bass drum. Were I you I'd go with 14x22, but I am not you and you must decide for yourself.

Welcome to the forum.

Count me as yet another non-fan of the deeeeep kick trend. The last kit I bought was 10 years ago and it has the 18x22. It sounds good all by itself, but quickly gets lost after the band plugs in. I had a 16x22 before this one and it wasn't as bad. Before that I had a 16x24 and a 14x24 and a 14x22.

My favorite was easily the 14x24, followed by the 16x24.

I'm not thinking of getting a new kit, but I am thinking of getting a new kick that (roughly) matches my kit and it will for sure be a 14x24.

I can't stand the deep bass drum trend... I own 2 14" deep bass drums and one 16" and I really prefer the 14's.

The deeper bass drums 18" or more all seem to sound like sub woofers to me... no attack or definition.

I think shallower depth bass drums got a bad rap, because the trend in music around the time they were used in rock music (early 70's through mid 80's) was to cut giant holes in the front head or take off the front head entirely and stuff a pillow in too. This dried the sound so much it was no wonder that people hated them. Guilt by association. So many people were also using coated heads on their kicks too. Nothing wrong with that, although it doesn't make for as deep a sound as from a Superkick or PowerSonic head.

You know, put a solid front head on (or minimally ported), select an appropriate batter head, tune the drum properly, and use a good bass drum mic, and you get a great, punchy sound from a shallower size. I can even make my bebop kick sound huge.

I'm not an overly huge fan of deep bass drums, but the fact that I now have 2 22"x20" bass drums (Sonor Force 2007, Tama Superstar Hyperdrive) says alot. lol!

yeah, I hear ya MikeM, the 22x18's sound deadly (IMO) but with guitarists and those bloody amps the insist must be so loud, a lot the low end of the 22x18 gets lost.

I'd love to try a 22x16 or a 22x15 and just feel the difference for myself.

My drum teacher has a 24x14 bass drum with a coated PS3 (i think) on it and that thing sounds soooo nice I can't even describe it. the warmth and puch it delivers is inspiring!

-Jonathan

It occurred to me as I was fading off to sleep tonight to just have my 22x18 cut down to a 14, and obviously cut a new bearing edge . That should work. They're Keller shells and the guy who put them together and cut the edges is still in town doing this kind of work... hmmm.

Edit: I just sent off an email to the drum maker to see what his thoughts are.

Last edited:
Back