Bass Drum Reso Head

drumforfood

I'm looking into buying a new reso head to complement my new EQ3 batter head. So far I've looked at the Aquarian Regulator, Evan's Emad, and the Powerstroke 3, but I still can't decide and I don't want to waste 30-40$ on a head I won't like. I'm also hoping for a head that requires minimal muffling, seeing as I really need to ditch the pillow thats gathering dust inside my bass drum. Brand really doesn't matter to me, but sound does.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As I wrote in another thread, I just use PS3's front & back with no other muffling and a small offset hole in the reso. It kills. I've also used a non-ported PS3 reso and it was also awesome. I'm not familiar enough with the Evans EQ3 but if it's the same style head as a PS3, then get another for the reso.

Aquarian Regulator has a small felt/foam strip around the port to help reduce overtones a little. Been running one with a SK1 for 10+years, I really like it as a reso!

As I wrote in another thread, I just use PS3's front & back with no other muffling and a small offset hole in the reso. It kills. I've also used a non-ported PS3 reso and it was also awesome. I'm not familiar enough with the Evans EQ3 but if it's the same style head as a PS3, then get another for the reso.

I completely agree with the comments on the PS3. I use that setup on both 22" and 24" drums.

The EQ3 is basically a 2ply PS3 so I see no reason why an EQ 3 wouldn't be a great pairing

Can I go all old-school on everyone and just suggest coated ambassadors on both sides of the drum... small t-shirt rolled up between the batter and pedal frame and another shirt inside the drum to muffle the reso. You can adjust reso muffling by tipping the drum forward or back so the shirt gives you the contact you require, and the batter muffled by playing around with the rolled shit. Coated ambs give you more tone then any other head

Alright after looking at some other kits and doing a bit of research, I have narrowed it down to the Aquarian Regulator or the PS3. The Aquarian is cheaper and has one of the best muffling systems built right into it. But I keep hearing all this praise about the PS3, which I haven't really had any experience with since I stopped using Remo heads(I switched to G2's).

I'm thinking of going for the Aquarian, but thats only because of the price difference. Is there anything that the PS3 has over the Regulator in terms of sound?

Back