Bass amp for e bass drum only?

TMe

I want to trigger an electronic bass drum sound, and play it through a small bass amp. I wouldn't be sending any other sounds through it.

Do you see any problems with that idea? Do I really need a drum amp or keyboard amp if all I want is a fairly quiet bass drum sound?

The idea is to accompany acoustic guitar with snare, brushes, hi-hat, and kick. I need to have a very small footprint so I can practice in a buddy's living room, and perform on stages intended for acoustic duo's. I figure I could use a trigger on a little suitcase, an e-drum module, and a small bass amp tucked beside my chair.

I've was geeking out on suitcase drums and mini-kicks, but I've made a couple prototypes and didn't like the sound at all.

For the stage, a small bose pillar or similar option will work better + the vocals and guitar can go though that to(or just use the house PA if that's an option). For rehearsal, just a regular small speaker will do the trick.

Just the bass? Might be "OK" if it's got a decent sized woofer. Sound bad for a whole kit, though, obs (no top)

For live use the venue PA.

For the kick itself, something like a TM-2 and a beaterless kick would be good, flexible and compact, or even an SPD-ONE::KICK or SPD::ONE WAV.

Last edited:
Just the bass? Might be "OK" if it's got a decent sized woofer.
Do you have any idea what I'd need to accompany acoustic guitar, in terms of watts and cone size? I don't need a great bass drum sound, but something better than a suitcase drum. I was thinking of trying a stomp box, to simplify things further.

Do you have any idea what I'd need to accompany acoustic guitar, in terms of amps and cone size? I don't need a great bass drum sound, but something better than a suitcase drum. I was thinking of trying a stomp box, to simplify things further.
A Stompbox might be easiest alternative, get at stomp box and just run it through a small speaker(most decent speakers bought at an electronic store will do the trick), maybe a small mixer is required.

I recorded this song with my single mic Zoom and played the song through my laptop, amp, and Cerwin-Vega speakers along with my inexpensive Alesi played through a small Fedder bass amp. It works for home fun, but not the best sound from ekit.

Do you have any idea what I'd need to accompany acoustic guitar, in terms of watts and cone size? I don't need a great bass drum sound, but something better than a suitcase drum. I was thinking of trying a stomp box, to simplify things further.

million $£€ question.

Depends on loads of things, not least the venue.

or get a cajón with a kick pedal. I do that - with an acoustic cajón (with or without a built-in pickup, or an add-on mic, or I'll use my cajón mic processor - a Roland EC-10m[1] - which usefully has a trigger input for a kick pedal/trigger etc, as well as FX and a looper), or a full e-cajón - a Roland EC-10.
--

[1]
ec-10m_02[1].jpg

I recorded this song with my single mic Zoom and played the song through my laptop, amp, and Cerwin-Vega speakers along with my inexpensive Alesi played through a small Fedder bass amp. It works for home fun, but not the best sound from ekit.
That sounds fine to me. All I want for now is a dull "thump" that will sit underneath brushes on a snare drum - just something to remind the guitarist where "1" is. If I put the trigger on a small suitcase, that should create the impression that the sound is coming from the suitcase.
...or I'll use my cajón mic processor - a Roland EC-10m[1] - which usefully has a trigger input for a kick pedal/trigger etc, as well as FX and a looper)...
Thanks for the suggestions. These are things for me to consider later, if the basic concept proves viable. I can see myself sitting on a cajon, using a remote pedal to play it as kick-only, and reinforcing its sound with a triggered electronic sound.

This will work much better:

and when you get more $$ you can add this:

Then you can literally monitor your entire kit, not just the bass drum, you should be able to do it with the first speaker alone, but of course if you want bass the 18 is where is at.

$320 (for the first speaker) is not too expensive.. and if you want to be sure, just got to the store, test one (with an e-kit) and see how you like it. but DO NOT get their credit card their interest 24% or some crazy similar amount is just too ridiculous, just pay cash or use your own credit cards with better interest rates.
Good luck.

This will work much better...
I didn't think of using a powered speaker. I'll try renting a small one and see how that works. I'm hoping I don't need 2,000 watts to match an acoustic guitar, though.

I didn't think of using a powered speaker. I'll try renting a small one and see how that works. I'm hoping I don't need 2,000 watts to match an acoustic guitar, though.
You don't need to rent, just go to the music store, and try one there (with an e-kit) and see usually a 12 is good (and loud enough) but if you want to be on the safer side, a 15 is better because you can push it a little more and not have to worry, but of course the perfect world is the pairing of an 18 bass, plus a 15 top. The only reason I suggested powered is because you don't need a PA with those, they have it built in, but not powered speakers are much cheaper but you will need an amp to power them so the price goes up, might as well get the powered ones to begin with..
The extreme setup is two pairs (18+15 x2) so you can have stereo imaging, and basically a system more than capable to handle a medium size club no problem. but back to basics a single 15 will do just fine. And... there are drum monitoring speakers Alesis and Simmons sell them. they are basically the same as the 15 powered speaker... but more expensive.

May I suggest the good old Roland KD7 with reverse beater as well if you want to keep a small footprint.

View attachment 137468
The fact that those are still around is a testament to their reliability. but and this is a huge but.... they are so uggggggggly!! it just looks so naked when a drummer uses them instead of at least a tower pad that attempts to look like you are hitting a surface..
I had a friend who had a "double bass" kit using two of those. it sounded great, it look just pathetic.
I would go for this: https://www.amazon.com/LOW-NOISE-BA...84517&sprefix=bass+drum+praci,aps,416&sr=8-15

and the FootBlasters: https://footblaster.com/product/foot-blaster-1-pair/

That or an acoustic bass drum with a mesh head and the footblasters.

May I suggest the good old Roland KD7 with reverse beater as well if you want to keep a small footprint.
The fact that those are still around is a testament to their reliability. but and this is a huge but.... they are so uggggggggly!!
Reliability sounds good. I could use a KD7 to make a faux suitcase drum. I was thinking of putting an e-pad on a suitcase, but I think regular pads wouldn't stand up to being used as a kick drum(?). I tried a stick-on trigger, but that was too finicky and unreliable.
You don't need to rent, just go to the music store, and try one there (with an e-kit)...
Thanks, but I can never tell how anything sounds until I hear it in context, and I want to find the smallest thing that works.

Thanks, but I can never tell how anything sounds until I hear it in context, and I want to find the smallest thing that works.

Smallest? KT9/KT10/KU100 or a Trigger Krigg plugged into a TM-2 plugged into the venue PA ;)

But still a cajón is pretty small as you're sitting on it.... then you can use acoustically or acoustic+amp/PA or acoustic+electronic - it's totally the best for *all* situations.

Reactions: TMe
The fact that those are still around is a testament to their reliability. but and this is a huge but.... they are so uggggggggly!! it just looks so naked when a drummer uses them instead of at least a tower pad that attempts to look like you are hitting a surface..
I had a friend who had a "double bass" kit using two of those. it sounded great, it look just pathetic.
I would go for this: https://www.amazon.com/LOW-NOISE-BASS-DRUM-PRACTICE-PAD/dp/B07MG8H97J/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2GCU9F3WOLDE8&keywords=bass+drum+practice+pads&qid=1691584517&sprefix=bass+drum+praci,aps,416&sr=8-15

and the FootBlasters: https://footblaster.com/product/foot-blaster-1-pair/

That or an acoustic bass drum with a mesh head and the footblasters.
Totally with you there- KD7 is built like a tank but not the nicest looking option (plus the reverse beater fighting against gravity isn't the best feeling in the world).

As for the Footblasters- mixed reports on those. Some swear by them, others have reported multiple failures so if going down the pedal-mounted route On Trigger is apparently the way to go.

Totally with you there- KD7 is built like a tank but not the nicest looking option (plus the reverse beater fighting against gravity isn't the best feeling in the world).

As for the Footblasters- mixed reports on those. Some swear by them, others have reported multiple failures so if going down the pedal-mounted route On Trigger is apparently the way to go.
I just suggest FootBlasters because I don't know how much of DIY people are willing to do, I can make may own, (just don't have as much time as I would like hence why the drum room is not finished, but at least one kit is setup). I have been making my own triggers since the 80's, so of course I am much better with tools now than I was back then so I can make a more professional looking trigger, in fact I made my own splitters which is how I was able to have a TD-11 with 7 cymbals. Those splitters differ from the ones you can buy in that they have an included 100 Ohm Resistor, which is needed to prevent the triggers from being over sensitive when using Roland modules.... The point being , if I make them myself, I can fix any issues myself.
I believe FootBlasters and On Trigger are basically the same setup, so it would come to the built to determine how long each lasts. Also lots of extreme metal drummers endorse both so they can't be that bad...

if DIY inclined something like this can be made:

the base has built in sound proofing (hence the orange layer) and you can make one or two and make them as big as you want. The next step is using real bass drums with mesh heads.

I believe FootBlasters and On Trigger are basically the same setup, so it would come to the built to determine how long each lasts. Also lots of extreme metal drummers endorse both so they can't be that bad...
They are indeed pretty much the same thing. My reason for saying On Trigger was better was purely anecdotal from the members of Metal Drummer Nerdz on FB (most of whom use some type of pedal mounted trigger cos death metal).

Back