Baby Quiet Cymbals

RVC

I think I’ve documented it here in other threads, but after twenty or so years of chasing big, dark, exotic, dragon’s breath sounds, I got a hankering for some good ol’ vanilla sounding cymbals. My quest for pure vanilla extract led me to Paiste reissue 602s. No vintage stuff for me - I wanted all new so I could be the one to put all the miles and tell all the stories on my gear.

Over the last couple of years, I’ve acquired a nice little stable of reissue 602s. I have a couple of bags worth of ‘em that I pull from to put together sets based on the size and type of gig I’m playing on any given day. A lot of my gigs are ultra-quiet affairs where having a drummer probably doesn’t make much sense and my duo partner should be doing them solo. That being said, I WANT those gigs, because money is money and I love playing, as well as the challenge of giving even the most cynical of skeptics a great experience.

Lately, I’ve taken the pure vanilla concept a step further and have put together what has quickly become my go-to uber-quiet cymbal rig. I’m still waiting on the final piece(s) - my 14” 602 Medium Hats still haven’t come in yet but when they do, this Death Star will be fully operational. Tonight’s Oildale honkytonk gig was my first getting to use my 18” 602 Thin Flatride in conjunction with my 16” 602 Paperthin.

These two cymbals are so polite, so quiet, and giving me exactly what I’m seeking. Delicate, lovely little pieces. Rounding out the rig were my 15” 602 SE Hats, which seemed downright clumsy next to these two tiny fellas. Can’t wait for the smaller, thinner 14’s to come in.

I’m completely sold on the flat ride sound and may do like Charlie and make this 18” flat my go-to for every gig I do. If the gig is big enough, there’ll be overhead mics anyway. The music I play barely, if ever, requires a bell sound, and this little flat is simply crystalline goodness. Too pretty to not have in the lineup at every gig, methinks.

OK, that’s enough effervescence for one evening! 🤪 Sorry for the ramble. Was feeling schoolgirl giddy about some gear and wanted to share with my brothers and sisters of the drum. 🙏

IMG_3834.jpeg

I think I’ve documented it here in other threads, but after twenty or so years of chasing big, dark, exotic, dragon’s breath sounds, I got a hankering for some good ol’ vanilla sounding cymbals. My quest for pure vanilla extract led me to Paiste reissue 602s. No vintage stuff for me - I wanted all new so I could be the one to put all the miles and tell all the stories on my gear.

Over the last couple of years, I’ve acquired a nice little stable of reissue 602s. I have a couple of bags worth of ‘em that I pull from to put together sets based on the size and type of gig I’m playing on any given day. A lot of my gigs are ultra-quiet affairs where having a drummer probably doesn’t make much sense and my duo partner should be doing them solo. That being said, I WANT those gigs, because money is money and I love playing, as well as the challenge of giving even the most cynical of skeptics a great experience.

Lately, I’ve taken the pure vanilla concept a step further and have put together what has quickly become my go-to uber-quiet cymbal rig. I’m still waiting on the final piece(s) - my 14” 602 Medium Hats still haven’t come in yet but when they do, this Death Star will be fully operational. Tonight’s Oildale honkytonk gig was my first getting to use my 18” 602 Thin Flatride in conjunction with my 16” 602 Paperthin.

These two cymbals are so polite, so quiet, and giving me exactly what I’m seeking. Delicate, lovely little pieces. Rounding out the rig were my 15” 602 SE Hats, which seemed downright clumsy next to these two tiny fellas. Can’t wait for the smaller, thinner 14’s to come in.

I’m completely sold on the flat ride sound and may do like Charlie and make this 18” flat my go-to for every gig I do. If the gig is big enough, there’ll be overhead mics anyway. The music I play barely, if ever, requires a bell sound, and this little flat is simply crystalline goodness. Too pretty to not have in the lineup at every gig, methinks.

OK, that’s enough effervescence for one evening! 🤪 Sorry for the ramble. Was feeling schoolgirl giddy about some gear and wanted to share with my brothers and sisters of the drum. 🙏

View attachment 145545
Vid or it didn't happen, sorry 😉

Just curious, RVC. What is your preferred sticks to use on those cymbals?
I play so many different types of gigs - I’m using a ton of different implements depending on the size of venue and crowd. Most of my gigs are super low volume situations. In those gigs I’m often using brushes and rods. I use Headhunters brushes that have a plastic loop added on the bristle portion and I also use Flix products. Their medium gauge FlixTips are a favorite of mine.

In that last picture at the larger event, I used Ahead 5AB sticks and the little cymbals still gave me everything I needed. Pretty high energy, high volume material and the 18 Thin Flat still gave me all the stick articulation I wanted. To be fair, I only use a ride sound a very small percentage of the time. I’m playing pop/country and soul material where the featured timekeeping cymbals are usually always hi-hats.

I was never a real fan of flat rides, but lately, I've come around. Both these Paiste's and the Istanbul dry flat ride have me thinking I need one in my life.
Thanks for this info, man. :cool:

Back