Are Young Drummers Sounding So Fast Because of Their Kick Foot?

I guess one thing, or myriad of "things" I'm hearing with very fast super-duper machine gun fast kick is being able to lay down something equivalent to a very precise roll on the kick, and then play over it on snare and toms. To me it's an impressive sound when Annika does it with a band. I appreciate it when layed down in the context of a jazz/ fusion band. Now, I don't like fusion jazz at all I think it's boring and meanders and often goes no place, but as a style of playing drums I think it sounds remarkable. And you can take that lightning fast kick and play traditional jazz doing it, too, in solos and trading. I can't but a good player could. I like that sorta jazz that's my cuppa. Anyone have any videos of a drummer trading or doing solos with a more traditional jazz band playing those machine gun kick licks?
Checkout Naked City should be some live stuff on YouTube I'd find a full live concert and just watch.

Billy Jean or Oakland Stroke?
answer: both..

Last edited:
Honest questions—

Which approach do you feel gets you more paid gigs?

If you don’t think paid gigs matter, how and why are you supporting your drumming habit?

Kinda off topic, but I like to play gigs in front of people. I like playing with mates in the two bands I'm in. A few blues gigs we played last year were just for tips and I took home maybe $20 each time. Other were paid, but pay was somewhere between $20-$40 for both blues band and jazz combo. But each band played big festivals last year and those paid me $100. I'm playing gigs, they matter, but most of the time the "pay" is irrelevant. Which is true for 99% of drummers in real world who haul their beat up Gretsch Catalina kit out to bars and restaurants and make $25. They're not hanging out on forums like this. The people on these forums represent 1% or less of real world drummers who play gigs, they matter, but most of the time the "pay" is very little.

Back