Anyone else have REALLY little kids?

My son also showed no interest in potty training, despite being very well behaved in most ways.

What worked for him was a chart on which we put stickers every time he went in the toilet on his own. After every week's worth of stickers, he'd get a little treat. Nothing fancy, really. An ice cream, or something like that. But I kid you not, as soon as we started doing that, he never had another accident. He just needed a goal.

I worried that it would be hard to ween him off the "reward," but it wasn't. We just gradually moved away from the treat, but still encouraged the stickers. Then the chart was phased out, and by then he had moved on to other interests.

I just think you have to find out what motivates them. Admittedly, that can be a real challenge.

this is one of the reasons i never had kids of my own....I wanted no part of any of this!!!

more power to y'all!!!!

I have 3 girlz oldest 36, 31, and 28. Two married and one grand daughter who is 5 (we adore each other lol). Youngest has been living with her boyfriend for years and thinking about marriage. I never thought I’d marry or have kids because I was a wild and crazy guy. My wife wanted 4-5 kids and I was skeptical with first but by third she was done and I was all in for couple more. Turns out I love kids- we had lots of adventures , we did lots of art, I taught them odd science facts ( they impress their friends), and I could do no wrong- till puberty and then I was a loser phase lol. It doesn’t last. Kids are our future so teach your children well. The benefit of potty training is no mo diapers/pull ups- can I have an amen. LOL The first two potty trained before 3, but youngest was just plain stubborn about it and persisted till 3 and half (it was becoming a problem with daycare) then in one day she decide she was trained and done with pull ups. BAM!

Last edited:
My oldest son was potty trained pretty much normally - I don't remember when he quit having accidents. My middle son would pee in the potty with no problem, but waited too long to poop, so had accidents until he was about five. My youngest son took off his diaper one day when he was about two, and that was that. They are 37, 39 and 43 years old now and have potty trained kids of their own.

I wouldn't worry about the potty training too much. See if you can get him on a schedule where he makes "potty trips" at regular times of the day. If nothing happens after a bit, "Good boy - thanks for trying!"

I think what's going to be worse for me is when somebody has to change my diaper... 😬

My son is in that age group. A little late to potty train. He also drooled for a long time, just developing in other ways. He can do +5yo puzzles, doesn't want to have to stop. My wife's approach was nigh on abusive, though there was something to get him to sit on the toilet. IMO he just didn't have the body control yet. What did work was timing. First thing in the morning, at the same time each morning, not long after big meals, etc and a little positive role model. Daddy needs to... Ah feels good.

My eldest son was like that. He refused to potty train.

Then right after his 4th birthday, he announced he was done with diapers. And that was it. There was never a transition period. He never wet the bed or had an accident.

My kids are 14 and 17 now.
Hey there's still time.

I used to have a REALLY little kid. He’s 21 now. Sort of related to potty training story. My wife and I went into the city (NYC) to see a show with my brother and his wife. My parents came to babysit our then 3 year old. On the way home from the city we called my parents to see how things went. My mother told us there was an issue. Apparently he had soiled his diaper and my mother couldn’t find the diapers. What she did find was a diaper used underneath a swimsuit. Apparently my son wasn’t having any of that and proceeded to say to her “What the f***, I told you I don’t wear those swimmie diapers.” When she told us this she was on speaker. Needless to say the four of us were laughing hysterically. That didn’t sit well with my mom who proceeded to say “You think this is funny?” Um, hell yeah it was funny. The WTF comment was definitely my wife’s (now ex-wife) fault as she was known to use that phrase regularly. It WAS effing funny!

Last edited:
Back