Adam Nussbaum

_-_

I heard Adam Nussbaum last night at a Minneapolis club called Crooners. He was drumming for Jerry Bergonzi, one of the finest tenormen the jazz genre. It was a quartet, who used two young locals of astounding abilities--Charlie Lincoln on bass, Will Kjeer piano. Nussbaum is a wonder. Plays swingtime with a rubbery, Elvin Jones feel. He plays unselfishly, always blending with the other musicians, yet sometimes displaying incredible power, especially in his rimshots, which threaten to loosen your fillings. Nussbaum has fine technique, but it's his interplay with the other musicians that makes him a standout. And that's a skill you'll not find in a drum book. It comes from years and decades of touring, playing in a wide array of styles.

Not sure if I've met him in person, but he's a regular on a weekly Zoom chat hosted by Michael Vosbein. Adam is knowledgeable, and hilarious!

My first and only time seeing Adam Nussbaum was in 1989 during my freshman year in college. He played at my school with Michael Brecker. I didn't know squat about good drumming back then and he introduced me to a whole new world.

Great John DeChristopher interview to the amazing Adam Nussbaum

Last edited:
Back