A touching drum story for all you drum nerds like me

Eman101

So this isn't blowing my own horn or anything. It genuinly makes me feel a special kind of happy.

About a year and a half ago i bought a 1970's Premier kit on a second hand website. It was in a bad way. Missing plenty parts and looking rather sad. But the shells were not in poor condition, they just needed some love. So i decided to buy it for R300 ($30 more or less) and see what i could do for it.

I spent about 8 months restoring the shells and sourcing missing parts until the kit was as close to complete as i could get it. I used it for a few gigs and it sounded great, but it was never my intention to hold onto it. So a few months back, one of my friends who lives in a smaller town bought the kit and off she went.

Before i let it go i happened to run into the guy i bought it from in a music store, and i showed him pictures of the restored kit. He then told me that, on the day i came to see and ultimately buy the kit, another guy was planning on coming later. His plan was to buy the shells and use them in a music video - where they would smash the drums up with an axe or something. He was looking for something he could destroy. That kit very nearly suffered that fate.

Today the kit is playing 2-3 gigs a week and going strong. It makes my heart a little warm to know i played a part in giving it a new life.

There's my nerdy story.

Aww, that's made me go all warm and fuzzy. I'm glad the kit survived and has a new lease of life.

What kind of philistines would smash something up - anything - just for the hell of it?

The Drum Gods applaude you!

The guy shooting the music video should have used the axe on Mapex Saturns.Nobody would have missed those...........wow did I realy just type that?:):)

Steve B

The guy shooting the music video should have used the axe on Mapex Saturns.Nobody would have missed those...........wow did I realy just type that?:):)

Steve B

You better hope Sticks isn't able to track you down! lol

With all of the CB700's and Sound Percussion kits out there, why would anybody buy a quality kit to smash? Kudo's on fixing it up and passing it on. If the shells were worth restoring then the kit abviously had more to give and more joy to be taken in playing it.

Here we go. Just a little background info, when I got it the kit had no bottom rims for the toms, no bass drum hoops, the floortom lugs were missing, no kick drum legs, the tensions rods were rusted to hell and the tom arm and floortom legs were gone. Pretty much just shells and dead drumheads.

The snare is a Remo - living in South Africa it was very difficult to find a Premier snare from the 70's that would ship to SA. When I sold the kit I added a 70's Ludwig Supraphonic to the setup and a Gibraltar hardware pack.

Attachments

• Premier kit 1.jpg
    Premier kit 1.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Premier kit 2.jpg
    Premier kit 2.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 119
Back