24 + 15 giant beats vs. k lights

K Lights for the win, for sure.

They're both great cymbal lines. The Giant Beats have been around for longer, more people have played them, and they have the Bonham association, so I assume they'll get some votes. Their main downfall is that they aren't a very complex-sounding cymbal. Nice and shimmery, but not much more to them than that. That, and the rides wash out easily. The K Lights have some variety of tones in each cymbal; some smokey sounds, some toney sounds, some gongy sounds, etc. If you like to see how many different sounds you can get out of cymbals, like I do, then they are like a drummer's playground. They just sound phenomenal!

.... Their main downfall is that they aren't a very complex-sounding cymbal. Nice and shimmery, but not much more to them than that....

I've found this to be the case with every Paiste I've tried. Very pleasing, seductive sound - clean and focused, but very one dimensional.
You'd better really like that one sound though, because you won't get all that much more variety from it.
Maybe I just haven't tried the right Paiste cymbals - IDK.

I've found this to be the case with every Paiste I've tried. Very pleasing, seductive sound - clean and focused, but very one dimensional.
You'd better really like that one sound though, because you won't get all that much more variety from it.
Maybe I just haven't tried the right Paiste cymbals - IDK.

Yeah, I've tried them all, and only the 602s have any sense of "depth" to them. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, if you like that kind of thing. I had a Paiste 404 ride that I wish I wouldn't have sold. It looked like an old A in color and lathing, but sounded very crystal-like in tone.

I lean firmly the other way....at least with respect to the rides. I just can't cop the K Light. Lord knows I've tried. I reckon I've hit every single 24" ride I've ever come across. I want to like them, I really do. I feel as if I should because everyone else seems to....and I have no shortage of Zildian cymbals in my arsenal that I have a huge appreciation for. But that dry "tah tah tah" sound just leaves me cold. All I hear is stick on corrugated tin.

I much prefer that rich mid-range swell of the Giant Beats.....at least with respect to the ride. There is a complexity there....predominantly across the mid-range. Very washy with a massive swell. Almost like a rolling thunder, but in a cymbal if that makes any sense. But as noted, it's nowhere near the same complex tones as you'll get from any K at all......especially a K that is designed to be on the drier end of the sound spectrum. Nor is it designed to be. They are completely different animals by nature.

At the end of the day, there is nothing similar about the two series at all, save for them being round, bronze and hit with a stick.

They are completely different animals by nature.

At the end of the day, there is nothing similar about the two series at all, save for them being round, bronze and hit with a stick.

I'd agree completely there.
The 15 GB hats do not measure up to the light K hats. Light K hands down,
On the other hand, the GB rides are just simply beautiful. I'd agree they don't have the variety of sounds or complexity (if 'diverse tones' are a definition of the latter) but I can't think of any two more different cymbals than a 24 GB and 24 light K. Both have their own place. Luckily one can always buy both.

Ya - semantics again. IMO - complexity when referring to cymbals usually means the interplay of shifting overtones and harmonics as the result of one strike of the cymbal.

Pretty different than the obtaining of a variety of sounds from different striking techniques in different areas that I was referring to. Probably have to call that versatile or something.
Although I think both apply to the Paiste cymbals I've tried. Despite their alluring, pinpoint sound, they lack a bit in both those areas.
That said - I have no real experience with the 24 GB other than occasionally toying with it in a store.

And yep - when in doubt, get both - LOL

Last edited:
Anyone who can't hear the complexity in Paiste Dark Energy line must have some wax they need to clean out of their ears.

I prefer the Paistes (Zildjian always leave me cold), but I'm not exactly fond of the Giant Beat Hats. I'd go for a slightly heavier pair of 2oo2s, myself - probably some 15" Sound Edge Hats. In the end, the Ks will be more jazzy whereas the Giant Beats will be better suited for rockier styles - I've heard lots of people try to use Constantinoples and K Light Rides for rock stuff and I think they sound terrible for those styles, like there's not enough high-end clarity and it all sort of turns into midrange mush. I could see the Giant Beats being acceptible for jazz, if not great.

I'll pile on here. I like Giant Beats, except the hats. The hats, in all my research among people that have heard or play them, are hit or miss with drummers.

I will admit that my first run in with the 24GB I was both amazed and a little let down. I struck it and was like "that's it! the Bonham sound" but then I just started playing my normal old technique (which has not alot of touch) and found it to be washy. So I've bought and resold 3 24GB, and I have one permanently in my collection now that I understand the dynamics of the cymbal. Just because its big, doesn't mean its a garbage can lid. I also have the 24 602 ride, and the GB has way more shimmer. Both are great rides though.

I in general have fallen out of love with Zildjian. After I found Agop, there's not alot I get excited about in Zildjian, although I thought the K Custom Dark line is well done, and I like the K Dark Medium Thin crashes.

Back