20" Dream Contact ride cymbal...

kallewille

Just bought a 20" Dream Contact ride cymbal this weekend. I didn't even know they existed until this weekend. I have been in the process of building up a new acoustic kit for the first time in about 15 years and got my shell kit about a month ago. At the time I bought a 22" K light ride, a set of 14" K light hats, and an 18" K Custom Session crash. I love all those cymbals, but the 18" crash died down a little quicker than I wanted, and the 22" ride doesn't like to crash so much, so I was looking for a crash I could do sustained, heavy carrying with. I was also hoping to find a 17" K China while I was out.

First stop was Guitar Center. Every time I go there I'm reminded why I avoid that place. They didn't have anything I was interested in. So then I go to a local place that recently relocated. Their pickings were rather slim, and as I was browsing through the selection, I saw the Dream cymbals but walked right past them since I'd never heard of them before. The salesman told me to at least give them a shot. First cymbal he put up was the 20" Contact ride. Wow! Apparently they're made of the 80Cu20Sn alloy bronze many of the big guys use, but made in China, and are a Canadian company. Based on sound alone, this thing is amazing! I think it actually sounds better as a crash than a ride, but it's not a bad ride either, so now I have some options. The bell is very clear, and I actually like it better than the bell on my 22" K. And then there's the price! ~ $190. That's less than half of what I paid for the 22" K! I tried one of their smaller Pang chinas and wasn't really all that fond of it. They also had some unfinished looking cymbals with heavy patinas on them that were more expensive, but I'm in love with this Contact ride. The salesman gave me a brochure/catalog and there is a Crash/Ride 20" Contact cymbal offered, but this thing sings beautifully when crashed. The shimmer...makes me smile!

They come with a 2yr warranty, whatever that means. From the reviews I read after buying them, there seems to be quite the variety amongst even the same models as they're hand made and hammered. So I don't think it's something I'd buy online, but if your store has them in stock, I highly recommend at least giving them a go in the store. I was very pleasantly surprised by the find. And should they go bad and crack, well, I didn't drop all that much money on it. I remember buying a few Wuhan chinas back in the mid to late 90s with the same attitude. I loved their sound, but they weren't exactly durable. Time will tell with this Contact ride that I'm pretty much using as a 20" crash.

I also got an 8" Contact splash. Not the greatest thing I've ever heard, but then again, I've heard much worse. And for the price, I figured why not.

Anyone else have experience with these cymbals? The salesman said a Dream rep was coming to do a demonstration with a boat load of cymbals in August I think. I'm eager to go and see what's offered.

Cheers!

Dream cymbals are very competitive. I have 15" Bliss hats, that are just like Light K's half the price. I had a 22 Bliss crash/ride, but it was too trashy, so let it go.
I like the Contact series as well, especially the rides.

Dream cymbals are very competitive. I have 15" Bliss hats, that are just like Light K's half the price. I had a 22 Bliss crash/ride, but it was too trashy, so let it go.
I like the Contact series as well, especially the rides.

Yeah, the hi hats they had set up were pretty nice sounding. I did bring in my 18" K custom session crash for comparison, but left the hats at home, so I can't say I made a direct comparison.

I work in a material characterization lab and should the Contact ride crack, I'll take a piece of it for analysis. I have a broken Wuhan somewhere in my basement too. I hope my Ks never crack, but if they do I'll do some of them as well to see if the Chinese made Dreams differ greatly from the Zildjians, given the claim to similar alloys. I should also be able to get a look at the microstructure too. I'm curious to know, but not about to damage a cymbal just to know.

I guess the Wuhans and Dream splashes are cheap enough to where it might be worth sacrificing them, but I'm not that rich :p

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's become infatuated with these cymbals.

I use a 16" Bliss Crash and an 18" Bliss Crash/Ride. They're great, and I'm into the pair for $165. Can't beat it.

Dream cymbals are the most underrated cymbal, IMO. Well, maybe not underrated, but certainly not as popular as the major three. For a fairly newcomer though they have a gained a fair size footprint. If they only had the matching dollars for advertising and marketing as the BIG BOYS, they, no doubt, would almost be an equal.

For years I had used Bos/Istanbul/Meinl Byzance series. Out of a fluke 2 years ago wanting a pr of 16" hats, but unable to afford the 'Turks', I purchased 2 used 16" Dreams..one Bliss crash, one Contact crash....They turned out to be the BEST pr of hats I ever used

Back