1970’s -1980’s Rock drummers

Atomic Punk

Remember that one. There just wasn’t anything like them in 1978. I had a friend who saw them in Tampa in 78. He was of the opinion that those concerts (VH opened for Black Sabbath) caused Ozzy to up his drug and alcohol intake (he needed a reason?!?) which led to his getting booted out.

Widely agreed that Van Halen handed BS’s arse to them on that tour.

I have listened to Rush but I never could get into it, IMO the multitude of changes don't serve the song it seems as if he just randomly played whatever fill he came up with at that moment and it wasn't ever the same. Not my taste but I can see why others will find it appealing. I like drummers that server the music with solid timing, tasteful fills and just enough changes to have variety but not too many where it becomes annoying. Other bands that I don't care for : Dream Theather and all bands that overcomplicate music yes TOOL is guilty of that too. There is a point where music stops being fun and it just becomes a who can make the most intricate (and fucking boring) song...
I never thought I'd hear someone else say that, especially here, but I completely agree. Those bands and drummers are incredibly talented, but I just can't listen to their music or solos. At risk of being chastised, I think the intricate stuff is boring and doesn't go anywhere. Give me an Eric Carr or Vinny Appice solo any day. They actually have a melody (in a loose sense) to their playing, or as much as you can on a non note instrument. Give me something listenable and melodic first, with good feel. That'll impress me more than just trying to impress me.

I never thought I'd hear someone else say that, especially here, but I completely agree. Those bands and drummers are incredibly talented, but I just can't listen to their music or solos. At risk of being chastised, I think the intricate stuff is boring and doesn't go anywhere. Give me an Eric Carr or Vinny Appice solo any day. They actually have a melody (in a loose sense) to their playing, or as much as you can on a non note instrument. Give me something listenable and melodic first, with good feel. That'll impress me more than just trying to impress me.

I sometimes feel that I am in a bigger minority in that I appreciate and love both kinds of drumming!!! Peart is my most fav, and Rush defined my life, but so did Phill Rudd, Vinny Appice, Bill Ward, and many other "4 on the floor" types.

The only "boring" drumming to me is that which is not inspired....I am moved as much by Bobby Blotzers drumming with Ratt as I am by Elvin Jones with Coltrain because they were IN it...

when I was younger...and less educated about it, I would usually immediately discount one type of playing for others (for me, it was money beat stuff because I was young, and Type A, and needed "shiny things" to keep my mind busy...) I could play money beat stuff pretty easily, and not the technical stuff...BUT, back then, my money beat stuff did not have the passion and interpretation that wisdom brings along....and really the same for my technical stuff...it took attending a Peter Erskine and a Steve Houghton clinic that I went to in my 20's to discover the "shiny thing" that was space...that was the Holy Grail of everything I do musically...

I sometimes feel that I am in a bigger minority in that I appreciate and love both kinds of drumming!!! Peart is my most fav, and Rush defined my life, but so did Phill Rudd, Vinny Appice, Bill Ward, and many other "4 on the floor" types.

The only "boring" drumming to me is that which is not inspired....I am moved as much by Bobby Blotzers drumming with Ratt as I am by Elvin Jones with Coltrain because they were IN it...

when I was younger...and less educated about it, I would usually immediately discount one type of playing for others (for me, it was money beat stuff because I was young, and Type A, and needed "shiny things" to keep my mind busy...) I could play money beat stuff pretty easily, and not the technical stuff...BUT, back then, my money beat stuff did not have the passion and interpretation that wisdom brings along....and really the same for my technical stuff...it took attending a Peter Erskine and a Steve Houghton clinic that I went to in my 20's to discover the "shiny thing" that was space...that was the Holy Grail of everything I do musically...
You have nailed it!: Shiny things are different for everyone. Which is why Baskin Robbins famously offered 31 flavors of ice cream.
I can appreciate every style but they are not all shiny to me. Probably listened to Rudd more than anyone because of the music from the entire band. Technically not going to win any awards but who cares when “the music is good and the music is loud, and the singer turned and he said to the crowd _______________________”

You have nailed it!: Shiny things are different for everyone. Which is why Baskin Robbins famously offered 31 flavors of ice cream.
I can appreciate every style but they are not all shiny to me. Probably listened to Rudd more than anyone because of the music from the entire band. Technically not going to win any awards but who cares when “the music is good and the music is loud, and the singer turned and he said to the crowd _______________________”

I have managed to find shiny things in all music except hip-hop, mainstream pop, and most electronic "rave" type dance music. And it is not from lack of trying, but none of that stuff moves me...I think there is too much non-musical distraction in it...almost like the music is "background noise" in and of itself....

I agree most of the people previously mentioned. However, one not mentioned as he might not be considered rock was Narada Michael Waldon of Weather Report's, Black Market Album. Look him up on line, the guy has done amazing things in his life.

And here’s a blast from the past:

John Siomos - incredibly good live.

I woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand. Who’s wine, what wine, where the hell did I dine?

(I’m betting that after the first few words you could complete the phrase from memory).

Frampton Comes Alive - life changing album.

Edit - Do You Feel Like I Do - also gets my vote as greatest live song ever.
Bob Mayo on the keyboards. Bob Mayo!

And here’s a blast from the past:

John Siomos - incredibly good live.

I woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand. Who’s wine, what wine, where the hell did I dine?

(I’m betting that after the first few words you could complete the phrase from memory).

Frampton Comes Alive - life changing album.

Edit - Do You Feel Like I Do - also gets my vote as greatest live song ever.
There’s a performance video of this song from the Oakland Colosseum (It’s on YouTube) which perfectly illustrates how good Siomos was. At one point Frampton takes over on the drums for a few minutes. He’s actually halfway decent on the kit. But then Siomos returns and you can literally feel the shift in the groove; the pocket just suddenly locks in and it’s a beautiful thing. That’s how you can identify a great drummer.

Back