13X7 Walnut snare

Hey, let's not pick on poor Dave, he just hates trees. Must come from listening to so much Rush.
I like how he congratulated Porter because he thinks Porters kit has somehow been "coloured".
This guy is priceless. By reading his posts, it becomes obvious he cannot even operate a screwdriver. He also does not read peoples posts because he is so hell bent on showing everyone his great epiphany on drum finishes.

By the way Dave, how old are you? Just curious.

It's so amusing. The poor man obviously needs reading comprehension lessons and/or a hug.

Having done some basic refinishing work I only have a basic understanding of what goes into the finishing of these drums but I like the fact that they're 'brown'. They have interesting wood grain! That's the point!

If anyone thinks that buying a can of tung oil and or a can of wipe on poly will give you a decent drum finish, this person has obviously never opened a can of wipe on poly. I have a pretty good automotive spraying set of tools and a some experience using it. Sometimes, I just brush on the poly from a can, because it is such a pain to clean the guns and do all the set up for one drum.
The result turns out the same because the difficulty lies in how you turn the dry clear coat into a smooth shiny piece of kit, not on how the clear is applied.
Most people will not endure the hours it takes to wet sand and then more often than not, having to go back and repeat the spray because the base was still not thick enough.
There are lots of serious builders out there better than me, mostly, it hinges on better tools, a lot of my tools, I built from scratch or modified less expensive versions to cater to the job. But, regardless of the amount of tools or size of your shop. You will not get this from wiping on any old clear coat

I frequent a few guitar-building places and the experienced builders all say the same thing - that most of the skill in building a quality instrument that is high-quality is in the finishing process. You can make a very good functional instrument without high-class finishing skills but to produce something that is top-class requires a lot of time and effort in finishing. To the point that you can get the building finished in a couple of weeks but spend two months or more getting the finish right.

Will that new jig you built for a lathe be used in sanding. I have seen many videos of shells being rotated while holding sandpaper to them to smooth them out or polish them.

If anyone thinks that buying a can of tung oil and or a can of wipe on poly will give you a decent drum finish, this person has obviously never opened a can of wipe on poly.
Agreed, but I'd like to point out that it's not just the high gloss finishes that are difficult / require lots of work / preparation. I recently finished a kit with a combination of different woods & grain presentations. To my horror, the result wasn't "clean" enough. It didn't deliver the depth of beauty in the wood, & there were minor shade differences born of different absorption rates. The result was, I spent 3 days taking the entire kit back to bare wood & starting again. Soul destroying, but ultimately worth it.

To the untrained (or otherwise unappreciative) eye, the difference between the first attempt & the second attempt may have been minor / inconsequential, but to me, it was night & day. The first attempt was flat by comparison. It didn't capture the 3D of the solid wood, nor did it highlight the change in hues due to view angle & light source. These are attributes that set quality wood apart from the rest, & it takes real skill to bring that out through different finishing methods.

Will that new jig you built for a lathe be used in sanding. I have seen many videos of shells being rotated while holding sandpaper to them to smooth them out or polish them.

Yes. Gretsch has something similar in their shop. But I imagine theirs has a one touch actuator so anyone can mount up a shell in seconds. Mine was built for free, but takes time to get things in place.
Who knows, as time goes on I might build a better model, tinkering with stuff amuses me.

Having the snare thats being built for me done in oil.... Cause i like how oil finish looks compared to gloss..

To the untrained (or otherwise unappreciative) eye, the difference between the first attempt & the second attempt may have been minor / inconsequential, but to me, it was night & day. The first attempt was flat by comparison. It didn't capture the 3D of the solid wood, nor did it highlight the change in hues due to view angle & light source. These are attributes that set quality wood apart from the rest, & it takes real skill to bring that out through different finishing methods.

Worth repeating:

Class Dismissed

Worth repeating:

Class Dismissed

What are you trying to prove Dave? It's evident you know nothing about drum building.

This has been quite entertaining and head scratching at the same time.

Obviously Union and KIS know tons more about building and finishing drums than most folks.......so having only built and finished 2 drums at this point in my life there is nothing I can add above and beyond their thoughts however.....

Dave, if you don't like "brown" or wood-colored drums, don't buy a ferking brown or wood colored drum....

If the folks that were buying and playing stave drums felt the same way in large numbers, then the market would have responded with more wrapped and color treated stave drums.....

Buy what you want, play what you want.....there isn't a right answer to someone else's opinion, and it can't be "wrong" per se........

Last edited:
Having the snare thats being built for me done in oil.... Cause i like how oil finish looks compared to gloss..

On some woods, totally agree. Steve Smith plays a beautiful burl Sonor kit in his video "standing on the shoulders of Giants". The satin finish does the kit justice.

I am building a Radio King shell right now and buffed oil so far is going to be it.
Looking forward to seeing your snare.

How would you describe the sound of the walnut stave? I've never played a stave drum, but I'm dying to check some out.

As far as finish goes I can see how woodworkers/craftsmen find natural beauty of woods to be most appealing. A woodworker's medium is wood after all...much of the allure must surely be the beauty of the medium.

How would you describe the sound of the walnut stave? I've never played a stave drum, but I'm dying to check some out.

As far as finish goes I can see how woodworkers/craftsmen find natural beauty of woods to be most appealing. A woodworker's medium is wood after all...much of the allure must surely be the beauty of the medium.

I can't wait to find out honestly.i am buying mine on a whim. so a bit of a gamble. Mine will be walnut with rounded bearing edges.. i am looking for a fat thick tone.. not a ton of CRACK.. from everything i have read this should do it..

What Icetech says is generally correct. The drum is not harsh, it has a lingering deeper than most tone. You do not get any shrill high end after shocks when you hit it hard, the note seems a little fatter because of the lingering low end tone.

That being said, any builder has a number of options that can shape the final sound, so just using the wood as the only sound barometer is never that accurate.

Thank you, that was funny, let's countdown the minutes before Grunter or Andy find that. Those guys take this moderator job really serious.
Whoa there - I'm not a moderator here. Never have been, never will be. Grunt, Bermuda, & that coastal vacation guy (who's name escapes me), are more than enough ban hammer muscle for this place :)

Back