Search results

1. toddbishop

Berlin - What's Fun?

I've been there several times in the last ten years, mostly on cymbal related business. I just run around and do little stuff, I like being there. Get a Welcome Card or other metro pass. I like Cafe am Neuen See, biergarten by a small lake in the Tiergarten. Victory column is not too far from...
  2. toddbishop

Maple Drumsticks 🍁🥁

I used them for years. They get a prettier sound, but eventually felt they weren't cutting enough. Now using hickory 7As.
  3. toddbishop

What's going on with Slingerland?

Just heard some scuttlebutt about this, apparently Roland is about to revive the brand, they've just taken someone on to head it...
  4. toddbishop

I know I’m not playing this correctly, but --

That's why it's called "your gig", you get to play it the way you want. Sounded good to me. Cool venue there.
  5. toddbishop

What’s one thing you wish you could improve about your drumming right now?

Lol, it's so hard not to make this thread into a big lightning round with all these issues...
  6. toddbishop

Pronunciation thread

In Americanese, CO-lay-OOta, in Italian co-lie-OOta.
  7. toddbishop

Looking for Information about drummers who recorded with Acrolite

I wouldn't be trusting any AI on any statement of fact. Or get receipts if you do-- get a citation and look it up.
  8. toddbishop

Pronunciation thread

You guys have been saying all these wrong: Pearl = peeral Vater = VA-truh Yamaha = hahaha Tama = [screaming] TAAAA MAAAA Paiste = pah-EEEEs-tchee Sonor = sNOCCH Zildjian = zil DA jee in Drum Workshop = drim wÖrkshoop [New Zealandish/Scottish brogue] Gretsch = grets ck tch Ludwig =...
  9. toddbishop

Solving Paiste for jazz

"You don't really want a flat ride do you?" 😆 I took an 18" 602 flat on a little tour and it would make this godawful obnoxious squeal if I played it too hard. I can't use them.
  10. toddbishop

"Snare Drum" training and "Drum Set" training

Thanks for reading that-- I just rounded up and edited my comments on this thread-- I think they stand ok on their own. Maybe better because there aren't a lot interjections drawing wrong conclusions from what I'm saying. There's also this post that deals with similar stuff.
  11. toddbishop

CB700 older maybe 1970's? Should I buy new heads?

The heads are fine, someone who knows how to tune them should be able to get an acceptable sound out of them. I wouldn't spend any money doing anything except making the drums playable-- like if there's a piece of hardware missing. Get in touch with a teacher who can show you how to tune them...
  12. toddbishop

Solving Paiste for jazz

I think the solution is just put some cymbals in your bag and play the gig on them. I've played 602s and Sound Creations on jazz gigs, and played somebody else's 2002s, they're not all equally great and they have to be handled a certain way, but they're fine. I don't use them any more because I...
  13. toddbishop

Whole My Life.."Folk Forms, no.1"

The players know each other really well and play together all the time. Almost, a lot of what he plays is in that book. More or less. See also the book Syncopation, look for similarities with what Dannie Richmond plays on the group solo parts.
  14. toddbishop

Bots listening to bots

Neat trick, that also shows how ludicrous the whole business model is-- for an act to make any money, fans have to be listening to them and no one else many hours a day, every day. They could have made the same bread selling ~2000 CDs. It took about 24,000 hours of "listening" for them to...
  15. toddbishop

Playing drums and music- a low barrier to entry compared to other occupations?

People who are committed figure out a way to make it work, one way or another. Surviving as a musician, not necessarily big money/fame success. People work it out individually. That is success as far as I'm concerned.
  16. toddbishop

I made a single tension kit from scratch!

That's great, beautiful instrument there.
  17. toddbishop

Watching gig drummers as a learning experience

From the point of view of the people you're playing with, overplaying usually means playing selfishly, making people support you while you do your stuff, and not leaving any room for them to do their stuff. Playing obtrusively, not playing enough structure, playing a lot of stuff with not-great...
  18. toddbishop

"Snare Drum" training and "Drum Set" training

I don't know about sound effects, but it was interesting reading Stone's Technique of Percussion-- a compilation of his articles in International Musician-- he would respond to letters from people (incl. some names I recognized), and they were mostly show drummers, vaudeville drummers. They'd be...
Back