Search results

1. dairyairman

Metronome Practicing Back in the Day

In the olden days (early 70s) I practiced with a mechanical metronome, but only on the practice pad.
  2. dairyairman

If you could start over

I quit drumming when I was in my mid 20s and took it up again when I was about 40. When I look back I wish I hadn't dropped out for 15 years. What was I thinking?
  3. dairyairman

Losing the Feel.

I listened to Lil' Devil and I see what you mean. It's a little tricky because it starts on the "+" beat of "1" and has a lot of off beat notes. For me, the best way to deal with something like that is to count along with it in my head until it's my time to come in. Someone else mentioned the...
  4. dairyairman

Tripod leg spread question

I usually have mine open about halfway, except for my ride cymbal stand which is open flatter because the cymbal is on a boom reaching over my bass drum. I don't like them too flat because they will take up more stage space than they need to and create something else to trip on.
  5. dairyairman

similar band names

hey all you band experts, i have a question for you about band names. recently i embarked on a new original band project (here we go again!) with some guys i've played with in other bands. we've rehearsed a few times and come up with some songs that sound like hits to us (of course!) sound...
  6. dairyairman

what is a stage plot?

hey knowlegeable types! my band is about to participate in a large-ish music festival. today i got an email from the organizer telling me they need me to send the sound engineering company a "stage plot" and a "microphone input list". what exactly are those things and what should go in them...
  7. dairyairman

Drum Gloves

that's exactly what i'm talking about! it always happens in the winter time when it's cold and dry! that's when the gloves are the most useful to me.
  8. dairyairman

Drum Gloves

in my case, i don't think i'm doing anything wrong. i have a very loose grip and loose style. i never get blisters, only weird splits in my skin, usually on my right pinky finger. i think it's because i practice for long periods on my electronic kit which has hard rubber pads. i believe the...
  9. dairyairman

Drum Gloves

i was having problems with my skin on my fingers splitting so i got a pair of meinl drumming gloves. i thought they were going to be terrible, but they're not. it's surprisingly easy to play with them and they really help keeping my skin from splitting open.
  10. dairyairman

Drum Gloves

ok cool! so i'm not alone. i thought i was the only person in the world who got these skin splits. before i bought the gloves, i'd tape my little fingers with medical tape or small bandaids. that works fine, but it's not as convenient as the gloves.
  11. dairyairman

Drum Gloves

for some reason when the weather starts getting cold and dry i have a problem with the skin splitting open on my little fingers, like paper cuts. it's not from abrasion but i think the shock of the stick splits my skin. i do a lot of practicing on an electronic kit with hard rubber pads and...
  12. dairyairman

can you help recommend a PA for my band?

my band already has a PA that we share with two other bands, but we want a new one. the one we share is too big and heavy to carry around conveniently. i'd like for us to get an easier to deal with PA that has good fidelity and is still loud enough to be heard above the band (especially me)...
  13. dairyairman

solo by my teacher, Rion Smith

my drum teacher rion smith is amazing. i think he's as good as anybody, but he's practically unknown outside my town. there are no youtube videos of him soloing, until now. i took this video of him this weekend doing an awesome solo based on a "songo" groove...
  14. dairyairman

fans can be a pain sometimes

i love our fans. they are the bomb. they are what keeps us going and enable us to play live and get paid for it, but i'm telling you they can be a pain sometimes. i'm in a new band now that is an outgrowth of another band i was in that became fairly popular and had a lot of fans. many of...
  15. dairyairman

i'm think of joining this band

what do you think of this band? should i audition? would you audition? http://orlando.craigslist.org/muc/1499098447.html
  16. dairyairman

Should I use a port hole in a DW bass head?

that was my first thought, that the tension might be too low on one or both heads.
  17. dairyairman

Cymbal Angles !!

have you heard of the indie band "yo la tengo"? i saw them live last year and was surprised to see their drummer with cymbals angled away from her: to each his (her) own.
  18. dairyairman

why do they call hoops "triple flanged"

what is meant by the term "triple flanged" when referring to drum hoops? are there single and double flanged hoops too? what about quadruple flanged? would that be even better?
  19. dairyairman

practicing on an electric drumset...

i practice on an electronic kit for noise reasons. it's a great practice tool, and it definitely will not hold you back. however, there are some things that can only only be done on an acoustic kit, or that work a lot better on an acoustic kit. for example, you can't practice brush technique...
Back