Anybody use concert toms?

I have a mixture of both on my kit: rack tom has both heads, but floor tom has no bottom head. To be honest, the decision was 100% practical - I put the rack tom inside the floor tom (yes, I use padding 🙄) and carry them in one case.

As far as sound goes, I don’t really miss the bottom head. My floor tom sounds full & resonant, and sustains well. I doubt even my band notice.

🙂

One workaround for that is to leave the bottom heads mounted on the drum. But just a very big hole in the head - like only leaving an inch of head around the perimeter. Just enough to hold the rim on.

I've tried that, but it's like installing a giant circular razor blade on the bottom of the drum. I only grazed that edge once, and I put bottom heads back on almost immediately.

I no longer own a concert tom kit but I had one for a while. It's a lot of fun, and it's nice having such an immediate and pure tom sound.

Front 1.jpg

I'm still thinking of putting some mesh heads on some of my double headed toms to see if it is as close to a concert tom sound as I hope it will be.

Maybe those who are careless, but why does a bearing edge matter if there’s no lugs and head to place over it?
Because it's still possible damage to the bottom of the drum, regardless if there are no lugs or rims. Haven't you ever dropped a drum? I certainly have.

Last edited:
I no longer own a concert tom kit but I had one for a while. It's a lot of fun, and it's nice having such an immediate and pure tom sound.

View attachment 144115

I'm still thinking of putting some mesh heads on some of my double headed toms to see if it is as close to a concert tom sound as I hope it will be.
I've done the mesh reso thing several times and it's very interesting. So you get basically the same sound as a concert tom, most people wouldn't notice a difference. However you can still "tune" the mesh which has a surprising effect on both stick feel/rebound and resonance on the batter head. I don't know how this happens but I've experienced this first hand with several drums.

I'd love some Hal Blaine Blaemires but as a 4 piece disciple you can't have anything less than a huge setup otherwise it's not worth bothering.

Because it's still possible damage to the bottom of the drum, regardless if there no lugs or rims. Haven't you ever dropped a drum? I certainly have.
Ahh Man that sucks I hope it didn’t ruin or ding the shell.
I never dropped a drum (knock on wood) especially my Vistalites I’m extra careful with those.

Yes it’s still possible to damage any shell that’s dropped but my question was - why would a concert tom have a reso bearing edge, I could be wrong though.

As you can see below, the bottom edges are like the Sonor concert tom kit OP posted squared off and flat bottomed.

Due to limited microphones, I consolidated one mic a couple of inches under two drums. Sound ok - If I had enough mics I’d certainly put inside each shell.
IMG_3256.jpeg

Ahh Man that sucks I hope it didn’t ruin or ding the shell.
I never dropped a drum (knock on wood) especially my Vistalites I’m extra careful with those.

Yes it’s still possible to damage any shell that’s dropped but my question was - why would a concert tom have a reso bearing edge, I could be wrong though.

As you can see below, the bottom edges are like the Sonor concert tom kit OP posted squared off and flat bottomed.

Due to limited microphones, I consolidated one mic a couple of inches under two drums. Sound ok - If I had enough mics I’d certainly put inside each shell.
View attachment 144117
I have damaged drums that I've dropped. You touch them up or get them fixed. Sh** happens if you're klutzy. 😖

I'd love some Hal Blaine Blaemires but as a 4 piece disciple you can't have anything less than a huge setup otherwise it's not worth bothering.
Well....... for about 10-12 years, I found that to not be the case... at least for me.

The funny thing is... the main inspiration for this small concert tom kit - besides what I was hearing from Hal Blaine, John Guerin and others - was seeing Joe Porcaro playing a concert with the Roger Kellaway Cello Quartet. A group that usually didn't even have drums - being comprised of cello, piano, string bass and Emil Richards on mallets and percussion. But for this concert, they were playing as a quintet with Joe added on drums. Wonderful concert with simply exquisite playing all around.

But the kit configuration Joe was playing (in reverse obviously - Joe being left handed) just seemed really cool and versatile. I mean, this was a near chamber music setting - and it worked great but also just seemed like it would work for far more than that.

All of this happened just as I was considering buying some Blaemire shells and putting them together myself. So I bought 4 toms - 7x8, 7x10, 8x12 and 14x14. Drilled them to be concert toms (stealing the hardware from a Fullerton Rogers kit that I really didn't like at all) - and paired them with my Oaklawn Cameo 14x20 bass drum and Aristocrat 5x14 snare. Resulting in this....

DC Blaemire set 1977.jpeg

That kit ended up being my primary gigging and recording kit for pretty everything - well into the 80's. And though it only had 4 toms, it sufficed for doing many disco sessions.... many 70's cop show car chases and fight scenes.... along with everything else I was doing. And as this was back before being able to rent decent backline gear was really a thing (and you could check 7-8 cases of drums as extra baggage by simply slipping the Skycap $30-$40!!!), I even took this set on the road a bunch of times.

One such time was for this performance/recording... please excuse what could seem like flagrant self-promotion... I'm just thinking there might be some interest in hearing what these Blaemire toms sounded like in a live setting, properly recorded but with minimal processing.

please excuse what could seem like flagrant self-promotion...
Funny, I've seen your posts on another forum for years and never knew your background. I'd say you are quite modest about your accomplishments.
Cool kit you put together. I'm surprised the Swivomatics held those rack toms for so long. I have some Pearl fiberglass drums from the 70s and they have some serious weight to them.
Looks like you were into the fashion of the time, too. Sharp. I can imagine you doing tracks for a Starsky and Hutch chase scene. lol!

Attachments

• DAVID-vintage-playing-2.jpg
    DAVID-vintage-playing-2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 11
Well....... for about 10-12 years, I found that to not be the case... at least for me.

The funny thing is... the main inspiration for this small concert tom kit - besides what I was hearing from Hal Blaine, John Guerin and others - was seeing Joe Porcaro playing a concert with the Roger Kellaway Cello Quartet. A group that usually didn't even have drums - being comprised of cello, piano, string bass and Emil Richards on mallets and percussion. But for this concert, they were playing as a quintet with Joe added on drums. Wonderful concert with simply exquisite playing all around.

But the kit configuration Joe was playing (in reverse obviously - Joe being left handed) just seemed really cool and versatile. I mean, this was a near chamber music setting - and it worked great but also just seemed like it would work for far more than that.

All of this happened just as I was considering buying some Blaemire shells and putting them together myself. So I bought 4 toms - 7x8, 7x10, 8x12 and 14x14. Drilled them to be concert toms (stealing the hardware from a Fullerton Rogers kit that I really didn't like at all) - and paired them with my Oaklawn Cameo 14x20 bass drum and Aristocrat 5x14 snare. Resulting in this....

View attachment 144121

That kit ended up being my primary gigging and recording kit for pretty everything - well into the 80's. And though it only had 4 toms, it sufficed for doing many disco sessions.... many 70's cop show car chases and fight scenes.... along with everything else I was doing. And as this was back before being able to rent decent backline gear was really a thing (and you could check 7-8 cases of drums as extra baggage by simply slipping the Skycap $30-$40!!!), I even took this set on the road a bunch of times.

One such time was for this performance/recording... please excuse what could seem like flagrant self-promotion... I'm just thinking there might be some interest in hearing what these Blaemire toms sounded like in a live setting, properly recorded but with minimal processing.

That little kit sounds massive!

How do you tune concert toms to where they have good tone and attack, but don’t sound boxy and dead? Or is it primarily the heads that one chooses?

This kit virtually sounds perfect.

I've never been a fan of single-head toms, but those sound great.

View attachment 144121

Flagrant self promoting? You're excused, sir. Great playing and great sound!

Tama!
PURPLE!
CONCERT TOMS!!

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF
Homer Drool GIF
Share Orgasm GIF
Cameron Diaz Im Gonna Be Wet For Hours GIF

Now THAT's how it's done! (y)

It could use more cymbals, though..........or is that the kit from Peter Gabriel's self titled album? ;)
My band just covered Intruder recently, great fun to play live. The whole time we practiced it I used my regular kit just like the song. The day of the gig I quietly pulled out my drum machine without telling them and finger banged the whole thing lol.

View attachment 144121

Love the story, love the video, love everything.

Groovy!!!

I do. I started liking concert toms when I discovered my Ludwig floor tom resonated MORE without its bottom head. I'm also a fan of the Keith Moon and Phil Collins sound, both of which incorporate a mix of normal and concert toms to fit in different songs.
A problem with concert toms is a difficulty to find a matching set to your drum kit. AFAIK only Ludwig offers it in its Classic Maple range. DW and Gretsch may be able to make bespoke ones at astronomical prices. The 3 big Japanese companies offer them as Concert Percussion, but these only come in 1 or 2 finishes, and only in power sizes.
A makeshift solution could be to remove the bottom lugs, plug the holes with a nut-and-bolt each, and protect the bearing edge with some rubber lining.

Back