Jazz Musicians Playing the Music of Rush

On the subject of Jazz guys doing POP TUNES, what do you think about this JAZZ version of Sade´s Song:

Please listen to Herbie´s beautiful solo starting at 1:20

Of course the rest of the soloists are amazing too...

what was the guy Eddie Harris ... here is Bill Stewart doing his interp of that era w/ Mike Brecker

"Time is of the Essence" Lp
@Paul Blood
3 drummers -massive Elvin presence on that Lp - a must have bitd)

Find the Reverse
Rock musician doing a jazz standard
Niel Peart with the Buddy Rich Big Band. I’m pretty sure Eric Clapton has done a few standards too, not sure on that though…. Didn’t Charlie Watts lead a jazz big band for a while? And course Steve Smith has done both styles quite well.

Last edited:
I like this easy listening version. I really like jazz funk fusion and though I like this I’d call it rock pop fusion more than jazz rock fusion. Kind of what I’d expect in some elevator music version of a Rush song. But hey that’s just my opine and I appreciate others may see it differently.

I like this easy listening version. I really like jazz funk fusion and though I like this I’d call it rock pop fusion more than jazz rock fusion. Kind of what I’d expect in some elevator music version of a Rush song. But hey that’s just my opine and I appreciate others may see it differently.
Maybe because they’re no distorted electric guitar, it sounds smoother. But in my opinion, it’s definitely jazz due to the improvisation section and interaction between the rhythm section and soloist , and there’s probably some harmonic movement that is not normally found in standard rock and modern pop. I think some of those elements would have to be toned down a bit to make on the Muzak elevator play list :)

Back