Snare Recommendations!

bird.furniture

I'm on the market for a new snare, and I think I know what I want but with limited access to in-person testing I'm not sure quite how to get there.

My current main snare is an old Rogers COB 5.5" which I adore, but its age really prevents it from enjoying lower tunings (buzz, rusty lugs, etc.). I've decided I want to keep it at higher tunings where the metal sings in my opinion, and get a deeper, wood drum for the low stuff.

I know that with the right combination of tuning, treatment, recording, and production most any drum can achieve most any sound. But owning a lot of older drums that are well past their prime, this time I'm shopping more for fit and finish, feel, and reliability for gigging and recording weekly.

Right now in my price range I'm looking at the used market for Tama SLP's and the new Ludwig Universals. Listening to lots of demos, I'm really into the former's fat spruce and the latter's mahogany offerings. The warm and fat descriptors are almost meaningless at this point, but they both have a kind of deadness that really speaks with more character than a dampened drum. There are some key differences though, including Tama's die cast hoops and better stock heads. For the price, I'm wondering if there are any opinions on what kinds of hardware appointments to look out for or shell out for. Also have my eye on a couple of Pork Pies and a C&C drum.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Like cymbals - if there's anywhere near you to try some out, that's your best bet. There's tons to pick from.
Sweetwater currently lists 870 snare drums (both metal and wood).
I'm most definitely not the most knowledgeable about snare drums, but I know what I like when I hear it.

The fat spruce and Ludwig mahogany would both be good choices.
Ludwig also has a cherry snare on sale now at a lot of places for $388. That might be one to check out.

The Tama hardware looks a little nicer with die cast and double ended snare adjustment.
I got a 13" G-Maple that's real nice.
My favorite wood snare is a 14x6.5 Classic Maple, but that's a little above your price point.
Hopefully, you'll get more input, because mine isn't real helpful. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I've found that:
  • A 6.5" depth snare delivers more body (technically more "shell" sound) to its sound than a 5" or 5.5" depth shell.
  • A brass shell delivers more high-frequency overtones than a wood shell. Aluminum shells (I've used Tama SLP Dry & Starphonic, & Ludwig Acro) has brighter overtones than wood, but not nearly as much as brass or steel.
  • For a very low thud sound from any snare, I use BFSD rings.
  • For flexibility between a crispy snare wire sound and one with a bit more body (lower frequencies), I use a Fat Cat Adjustable snappy.
Tama SLP:
  • The strainer/butt system is very nice. The snappy tension can be adjusted from both the strainer and butt. The adjustment knob is notched so there's no loosening.
  • The die cast hoops reduce high frequency overtones a bit, creating a more "focused" sound (the term was used by Tama back in the 1980s). I have a set of 2.3mm hoops, a set of die cast hoops and a set of brass Mighty Hoops simply to get different sounds from the same drum.
Good luck with your hunt!

I'm on the market for a new snare, and I think I know what I want but with limited access to in-person testing I'm not sure quite how to get there.

My current main snare is an old Rogers COB 5.5" which I adore, but its age really prevents it from enjoying lower tunings (buzz, rusty lugs, etc.). I've decided I want to keep it at higher tunings where the metal sings in my opinion, and get a deeper, wood drum for the low stuff.

I know that with the right combination of tuning, treatment, recording, and production most any drum can achieve most any sound. But owning a lot of older drums that are well past their prime, this time I'm shopping more for fit and finish, feel, and reliability for gigging and recording weekly.

Right now in my price range I'm looking at the used market for Tama SLP's and the new Ludwig Universals. Listening to lots of demos, I'm really into the former's fat spruce and the latter's mahogany offerings. The warm and fat descriptors are almost meaningless at this point, but they both have a kind of deadness that really speaks with more character than a dampened drum. There are some key differences though, including Tama's die cast hoops and better stock heads. For the price, I'm wondering if there are any opinions on what kinds of hardware appointments to look out for or shell out for. Also have my eye on a couple of Pork Pies and a C&C drum.

Ive tried many snares and have 5 of my all time faves..decide if you want metal or wood..i recommend tama starphonic ally..ahead brass 6.5..starclassic maple or if your budget can stretch to it ludwig hammered bronze..the world max brass is good for the money..really you have to live with it for a few weeks before it comes home.👍

Mapex Black Panther...I bought one recently, and I REALLY like it. Peace and goodwill.

That’s what they’re supposed to do, Bob ;)
Well, I know that now. After reading their promotional literature, I thought there would at least some resonance left, but there wasn't. My "sales engineer" willingly gave me a credit.

The BFSD is just that, a speciality effect. Maybe think of it as an "effect pedal" for drums. You still need a good basic tone.
A Ludwig Legacy seems to be a great choice for your tone. The Mahogany version esp. can get FAT but might be looser. The new Tama Artwood also sound nice and round to me, but with a bit more clarity.

Well, I know that now. After reading their promotional literature, I thought there would at least some resonance left, but there wasn't. My "sales engineer" willingly gave me a credit.
I made my own out of an old head, so I found that out for free. And while actual BFSD lovers seem to think it’s not the same, having heard BFSD recordings, it’s the same.

I was gonna recommend the Ludwig Universal.
I mean, if you're gonna get a snare drum, it's pretty hard to beat Ludwig and their 115 year legacy.
I like the sound of the Cherry model, but check them out for yourself and let your own ears guide you.

Last edited:
...P.S. Gretsch's version is called "Full Range".
The 14x8 "Swamp Dog" is a pretty cool mahogany shelled snare drum, too....

...nice thing about deeper snare drums, you don't lose sensitivity, you just get a deeper voice. (y)

...P.S. Gretsch's version is called "Full Range".
The 14x8 "Swamp Dog" is a pretty cool mahogany shelled snare drum, too....

...nice thing about deeper snare drums, you don't lose sensitivity, you just get a deeper voice. (y)
Deeper drums do in fact have less sensitivity than shallower drums. There are some very sensitive deep drums, and the difference between deep and shallow drums isn't always that noticeable, but generally speaking, the extra distance between the top and bottom heads will result in less sensitivity.

Deeper drums do in fact have less sensitivity than shallower drums.
Sorry, but that is flat WRONG.
I have a 13x3 Ludwig Classic Maple snare drum (which I modded with a 20 strand snare) and (for a while anyway) I had a generic 14x10 MIJ, probably made in the early 1970's.
I test that very thing and could NOT discern the 13 being any more sensitive than the 14x10.
This backs up my experience with one of Gregg Keplinger's infamous cast iron snare drums. The particular version was a 14x8 fitted with a later P70 mechanism and it is the only snare drum I've ever seen where I could snap my fingers a few inches above the batter head and the snares would react.
I know, it's a hard thing to accept (and one reason I initially bought the little Ludwig snare drum), but I've done the testing and it backs up prior experience.

Tama SLP:
  • The strainer/butt system is very nice. The snappy tension can be adjusted from both the strainer and butt. The adjustment knob is notched so there's no loosening.
Depens on the model. Not all SLP drums have the double end ratchet-type strainer. Some have the “lesser” regular type strainer that is found on the cheaper series.

Back