Heading to the STATES! Want to visit drum shops, etc.

TheJarvis

We are finally as a family having a holiday and attending Disney World and Universal as per my late mothers wishes.

Even though it won't be a drum shop or heavily based drum holiday we are heading to the following areas so if you have some shop suggestions or places to visit please let me know.

LA: Have been to Pro Drum and Sam Ash and will be there again.
VEGAS: Potentially reliving the poker scene from Swingers.
TEXAS: Seeing some friends in Austin.
NEW ORLEANS: Cocktails.
BOSTON: DCP and might grab a N&C snare.
NEW YORK: Maxwells Drum Shop.
WASHINGTON: Usual sights etc.
ORLANDO: Bank account will get a hammering.

Any stores or sights you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

As an Aussie who has visited New York for a few days I would suggest the following.as some ideas. Walk through Central Park, take a subway to Brooklyn and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge for a great view of the city. Staten Island ferry for a great view of the Statue of Liberty. Sit in Times square with a beer .Take in a Broadway show. I didn't visit Maxwells Drum Shop but I would have loved to. A lot of things to do in the Big Apple.

Are you driving to all those places? If so, the road itself can be a huge part of the journey. I just did a two month road trip around the US and I have a lot of thoughts and suggestions about this.

A couple of points. Maxwell's in NYC is now Good Hands Drum Shop, owned by Jess Birch, who managed Maxwell's. Jess is a super great guy.

DCP is 60 miles/1 hr 15 mins from Boston and depending on what time you go, could take 2 hours each way so plan accordingly. But well worth the drive!

Always double down!

68 years I been to five of the eight listed states
you are taking in a lot!

Last edited:
Hi Jarvis,

Sounds like you have quite a family trip planned. Coast to coast, north, south, and all points in between.

I don't have much to add to your itinerary other than seeing the usual sights, but I do wish you and your family a safe trip, and it sounds like it will be a fun time. :)

Last edited:
I'm jealous! Get any good pics? Meet any new friends?
So many good pics. And we re-connected with a ton of old friends, mostly. We took the trip because we were grieving the loss of our son and it was incredibly good for us. Lots of (captioned) photos here:

Click on the circled letter i in the upper right to reveal the comments.

Man, if I ever make it to NY, the first place I'm going to is Long Island Drum Center and giving Dennis a big hug. I've never met him in person, but I've done A TON of business with him.

I never bought from them but I like their daily deal web site. I bought a TAMA Bass practice pad from another dealer and a few months later I saw it at a rock bottom price on their daily deal web site.

https://www.drummingdeals.com/

Last edited:
We are finally as a family having a holiday and attending Disney World and Universal as per my late mothers wishes.

Even though it won't be a drum shop or heavily based drum holiday we are heading to the following areas so if you have some shop suggestions or places to visit please let me know.

If you like Sam Ash, Las Vegas also has a Sam Ash store. I drove by it last time that I was in Vegas. From the outside it looked like a good sized store. I never shopped there. Perhaps one of Vegas residents on this forum can chime in and give their opinion of this store.
https://locations.samash.com/nv/las-vegas/53/

I'm jealous! Get any good pics? Meet any new friends?
Not sure were you are from, but I am not really jealous of anyone traveling the US (because I live here and I am biased) but we don't have much to offer here. other places have amazing architecture, amazing historical sites, great museums... we pale in comparison.
For those in Europe and probably most other countries too, We have a thing here called commute. Save for some people in very small towns that kills a huge part of our day. No other countries that I have been have such a bad routine (yes they all go to work, but no one spends 2+ hours stuck in traffic and gets home ready to just plop in the couch and disconnect from reality). I am jealous of those who don't have long commutes to work Although now I drive 26 miles with zero traffic but still about 35 to 40 min on the road one way. People in other countries live a better lifestyle.

You can visit, in the New York area, the "Long Island Drum Center" that, for what I know, is one of the biggest drum stores in a World.

I gave a clinic for SABIAN there in 1989, the store was huge!

That place had Famularo, Perry, Chapin, and many others teaching on steady basis then...

Here is the website: http://www.lidrum.com/

Not sure were you are from, but I am not really jealous of anyone traveling the US (because I live here and I am biased) but we don't have much to offer here. other places have amazing architecture, amazing historical sites, great museums... we pale in comparison.

I mostly agree here-- If you've seen European cities, especially, there's not much reason to go to most US cities. The true gem the US has is the National Park system (and an awful lot of state and regional parks, too). Driving through Utah, the American southwest, the Pacific Coast highway, and across the big northwestern states is just endlessly astonishing. For cities? It's worth seeing New Orleans, Santa Fe, DC, and, despite the traffic and everything else, New York. There are a lot of other cities that are pleasant to be in, but you won't miss anything by skipping them.

TEXAS: Seeing some friends in Austin.
NEW ORLEANS: Cocktails.
BOSTON: DCP and might grab a N&C snare.
NEW YORK: Maxwells Drum Shop.
WASHINGTON: Usual sights etc.
ORLANDO: Bank account will get a hammering.

Any stores or sights you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.
We hope you are able to make it up to DCP!

In Kenner, a suburb of New Orleans, is Ray Fransen's Drum Center, which is a five star drum shop. Peace and goodwill.

@TheJarvis

Texas Vintage Drums

Austin. TX

snare RB Asf SJ Took on road with Stones
came from there

Last edited:
I mostly agree here-- If you've seen European cities, especially, there's not much reason to go to most US cities. The true gem the US has is the National Park system (and an awful lot of state and regional parks, too). Driving through Utah, the American southwest, the Pacific Coast highway, and across the big northwestern states is just endlessly astonishing. For cities? It's worth seeing New Orleans, Santa Fe, DC, and, despite the traffic and everything else, New York. There are a lot of other cities that are pleasant to be in, but you won't miss anything by skipping them.
Agree. I’ve travelled extensively in the US and the National Parks are second to none. I agree big cities are big cities anywhere except NY was so iconic to me I had to see it. I wouldn’t go back but I don’t regret visiting it.

For those in Europe and probably most other countries too, We have a thing here called commute. Save for some people in very small towns that kills a huge part of our day. No other countries that I have been have such a bad routine (yes they all go to work, but no one spends 2+ hours stuck in traffic and gets home ready to just plop in the couch and disconnect from reality). I am jealous of those who don't have long commutes to work Although now I drive 26 miles with zero traffic but still about 35 to 40 min on the road one way. People in other countries live a better lifestyle.
What's banal to you as a native can be surprisingly exciting to a visitor!
Almost everything is 'different' and so much is reminiscent of the American movies and tv we've been watching all our lives. Old cars, trucks, diners, gas stations and the distinct architecture of different eras were fascinating to me.
Driving across the States in my 20s and living in California for 7 months remains the best adventure of my life

Back