Washers on tension rods- do I need plastic/ nylon?

I use whatever the drum came with. The only snare I've ever had problems detuning in the middle of a set was my Pork Pie 13 x 5 that came with my USA Custom kit from the late 1990s; however, it detuning was 100% user error because I used to hit like a Neanderthal killing his supper.

Video please. We need proof.

No photo description available.

1707919099233.png
1707919114067.png

I usually use whatever comes on the drums, that being said. I think my 88 model yamaha tour customs do not have nylon only steel, I'm pretty sure that my 2003 model star Classic performers have nylon and steel. And my 2019 ludwig club dates have nylon and steel. I've heard that some people say the nylon washers kill the sound of the drum a little. So if my like my drums, I'll leave them like they are. I have pointed badge era supra with Steel. It probably doesn't make much if any difference.

I just bought a used Gretsch USA Custom bronze snare, and the tension rods felt a bit stiff when tuning. I wanted to take it apart to clean it anyway, so during that process I lubed each lug and added nylon washers to the rods. Now tuning it feels as smooth as silk.

I used to use Canopus leather washers but I found that creative percussion makes brown leather ones as well and they are cheaper and easier to get.

I love them. Do they do anything ? I have no idea but the idea of leather over plastic or metal makes sense to me

Some of my nylon washers are wearing out after 2 years, most aren’t. I don’t know if it makes a lick of difference but I feel like metal not touching metal makes them feel a little smoother. But I haven’t done any AB’s. Maybe I should.

Nah.

I used to use Canopus leather washers but I found that creative percussion makes brown leather ones as well and they are cheaper and easier to get.

I love them. Do they do anything ? I have no idea but the idea of leather over plastic or metal makes sense to me

Do the leather washers prevent detuning? I'd be much more interested in that.

Do the leather washers prevent detuning? I'd be much more interested in that.
Yea for sure. Are they lug locks? No but do they allow you to keep tunings for longer and not have the change in tune be so drastic, yes

Ones that came with the used kit I’ve got are metal.
Will I get any benefit from a different material before I swop out my silent stroke heads for hydraulics that I have ready?
Thanks
Using those same heads, I think you do. I use nylon washers on my snares because they hold the tuning better. Nylon seems to grip the tension rod head a bit better & I have to adjust it less.
I also found to use them on the floor tom as the bigger sizes seem to benefit with using them. You can get a whole bag of those from Sweetwater or Drum Factory Direct for pennies on the dollar.

One angle is if you’re trying to protect the plating on your hoops, like the old NOB hoops I like. Leather and nylon do that. In terms of tone, I would expect a *tiny* amount of damping from thin nylon, and more noticeable damping from the double layer of leather in the Canopus system. The result would be a little less ringing in the harmonics, at least in theory.

One angle is if you’re trying to protect the plating on your hoops, like the old NOB hoops I like. Leather and nylon do that. In terms of tone, I would expect a *tiny* amount of damping from thin nylon, and more noticeable damping from the double layer of leather in the Canopus system. The result would be a little less ringing in the harmonics, at least in theory.
I couldn’t tell a difference on my old L&L maple Standard. It has diecast hoops, but I tried them on my nasty Ddrum snare with 1.6 mm as well, and briefly had those hoops on my L&L, and I couldn’t tell a difference. I will not submit any of it as legit science, but those were my results.

I run the canopus rods and leather washers on my RN2 toms and my Yamaha 13” brass snare. They work well. I have not noticed a significant amount of dampening. They do hold the tune well…but do not expect a miracle because that will not happen. They will still detune. Maybe slightly longer periods.

Word of caution…if you want to run the Canopus washers on your existing tuning rods…and those rods have a “captive” metal washer….you will not be able to run them top n bottom per spec…. unless you can cut that washer off. I just went ahead and bought the entire rod system with the washers in place. They fit the gretsch and yamaha fine.

Word of caution…if you want to run the Canopus washers on your existing tuning rods…and those rods have a “captive” metal washer….you will not be able to run them top n bottom per spec…. unless you can cut that washer off. I just went ahead and bought the entire rod system with the washers in place. They fit the gretsch and yamaha fine.
I ran into the same issue when I recently installed the Canopus washers on my RN2's. I'm glad to know that the tight bolt rods w washers work well on the Gretsch. Thanks for that info!

You measured your RN2 rods to determine what length to get?

I ran into the same issue when I recently installed the Canopus washers on my RN2's. I'm glad to know that the tight bolt rods w washers work well on the Gretsch. Thanks for that info!

You measured your RN2 rods to determine what length to get?

No problem, Tamboreter….here are the sizes you need for your RN2s. BTB-42 for the racks and BTB-52 for floors. Those are the original gretsch rods underneath with the captive washer
53539915375_93e764446f_k.jpg
53539671813_b2111049ea_k.jpg

Back