What are the best Over the Ear, plug-in headphones for big ears?

I have a pair of Sony bluetooth headphones that are suitable for my big ears, but I'm planning on getting a Yamaha EAD10 and will need to get corded headphones.

Does anyone have a recommendation for noise-cancelling headphones that would suit this, and that have very large cups that would fit comfortably?

Thanks muchly.

The best isolation phones out there are the GK Ultraphones - you won’t need the noise cancelling feature because they isolate so well. They’re basically Peltor Shooting muffs with Sony MDR-7506 drivers built-in. So if your ears fit in those they would be the best choice.

The best isolation phones out there are the GK Ultraphones - you won’t need the noise cancelling feature because they isolate so well. They’re basically Peltor Shooting muffs with Sony MDR-7506 drivers built-in. So if your ears fit in those they would be the best choice.
I second this. Cannot go wrong with this choice. Care for them, and they will last for many years.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of those GK Ultraphones some day, but MAN I don't like how Sony 7506s sound. Just way too bright; not an accurate representation of how things actually sound.

I much prefer the Beyerdynamic DT-770, which are super comfortable and sound like my NS10s with a subwoofer. Helps keep sonic surprises to a minimum.

I also recommend looking into Sennheiser 280s, which isolate better than the Beyers but aren't as comfortable. Most big box music stores should have both of these in stock, which is a good place to start for comfort anyway.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of those GK Ultraphones some day, but MAN I don't like how Sony 7506s sound. Just way too bright; not an accurate representation of how things actually sound.
You could always call Gordy to see if he'd be willing to fit them with the drivers you prefer.

'

I much prefer the Beyerdynamic DT-770, which are super comfortable and sound like my NS10s with a subwoofer. Helps keep sonic surprises to a minimum.

I also recommend looking into Sennheiser 280s, which isolate better than the Beyers but aren't as comfortable. Most big box music stores should have both of these in stock, which is a good place to start for comfort anyway.
They're not for mixing music or critical listening. The Peltor housing isn't designed to create the perfect acoustic housing. But the first time I wore them while tracking I wondered why they aren't a staple in every studio. I could finally play as hard as possible, hear the music clearly at a lower volume and not get ear fatigue.

I'd had mine for over 20 years and the covering on the ear muffs was beginning to crack. I sent them in and Gordy had 'em back in less than a week with new ear muffs. I forget the repair cost though...🫠

I use my cheapo Alesis DRP100:

Which are very neutral (not bass heavy which works perfect for drum monitoring because they don't color the sound).
They also provide pretty decent isolation and they are super cheap so if you don't like them you didn't spend a lot.
Also they are very comfortable. Yes I use them for electronic drums, but can use them to monitor acoustic drums just fine too. I had mine for about 10 years and they are still in perfect like new condition. Another thing, you have to be careful with the volume because they can go really loud and not distort at all, I have never had them full volume.

From an Amazon review:

Closed Headphone:
1st: JVC HARX700: Spacious, clear. Well rounded. Maybe a bit sharp and less warm. Very comfortable.
2nd: Alesis DRP100: Warmer than JVC HARX700, but less spacious. Excellent isolation. Comfortable.
3rd: Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO: Very balanced and warm. Not comfortable due to on-ear design.
4th: Audio-Technica ATH-M20X: Thin sounding. Worst performer.

Open Headphone:
1st: Philips SHP9500: Best sound quality to me. Extremely comfortable, but little loose fitting.
2nd: Samson Technologies SR850: Very close runner up to the SHP9500. Very comfortable.
3rd: AKG Pro Audio K240: Higher impedance, so little harder to drive. Less open sounding. Definitely a step behind the above two.

That last part, you might need a headphone amp for some of those to actually take full advantage of the large drivers:

The advantage you get with that headphone amp is that if you record video with multiple cameras, you can send audio to 3 of them and have the 4th output to be your headphones and all of them can be independently volume controlled.

Last edited:
'
But the first time I wore them while tracking I wondered why they aren't a staple in every studio. I could finally play as hard as possible, hear the music clearly at a lower volume and not get ear fatigue.
I now take my own GK's to studio sessions. The Beyerdynamic cans most studios supply aren't that great sounding anyway.

I don't find mine bright at all. They do not sound great I agree, but they are for monitoring the song and hearing the click without deafening myself, so I neither need audio accuracy or a hi-fi sounding headphone.

I'd had mine for over 20 years and the covering on the ear muffs was beginning to crack. I sent them in and Gordy had 'em back in less than a week with new ear muffs. I forget the repair cost though...🫠
I just had the cushions replaced on mine; it cost $40.

I'd love to try a set of those GK's. I've only heard great things about them.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. It seems that GK Ultraphones don't have any retailers stocking their gear in Australia, so no chance to check if they fit my ears or not.

The ATH-m50x is stocked at JBHiFi, so I will check them out next time I'm in town.

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that GK Ultraphones don't have any retailers stocking their gear in Australia, so no chance to check if they fit my ears or not.
Gordy Knudtsen, the owner/operator for GK-Music (his company) promptly answers emails and inquiries. Ask him about the size of the ear muffs and whether or not he ships to Oz (I'm guessing he does).

Back