When an orphan gets adopted

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I absolutely love the sound of my Radio Kings I just bought a little while back.

1707078625870.jpeg

The configuration is a 26, 13, 14, 16. I looked all over the place for an 18 or even a 20 floor tom to add. When I perused old catalog, I saw that they offered 18s and 20s in this finish, but I have yet to see any evidence that they even exist. So as I was looking around, I found this rusty beast about 4 hours away.

1707078833792.png

A 20” Radio King, but I passed over it for a few weeks because I was convinced that a sparkle version existed. After weeks of searching, I decided to make an offer on this drum. Long story short, I got it, de-rusted it with evapo-rust (a miracle product if there ever was one), added some modern hardware, and here it is. There’s only one problem with it. I have to always play it on carpet because when I hit it on a hard floor, it vibrates away like an out-of-balance washing machine. I’ve NEVER seen a floor tom do this. What an absolutely wonderful drum. I think it looks just fine.

1707079187231.jpeg

you found/got the FT brackets?

20" floor toms are something else.

Last year, I found my buddy a 20" Rogers XP8 floor tom to help round out his set, and that thing is like thunder.

Just wondering what size depth your 14" is, and if you're considering mounting that instead of the 13".

beautiful..

20" floor toms are something else.

Last year, I found my buddy a 20" Rogers XP8 floor tom to help round out his set, and that thing is like thunder.

Just wondering what size depth your 14" is, and if you're considering mounting that instead of the 13".

I did for a little while. I’m pretty sure it’s 12” deep.

1707084175242.jpeg

A 12" deep 14" floor tom would look out of place on a 24" kick, but, seeing the pic in your other post, looks great with your 26" kick.

Back