Dave Grohl

I don't know if that's actually true ...

My feelings about Grohl are about the same as my feelings about his band, The Foo Fighters: seem like nice guys, certainly technically capable, but ...

Someone posted a video of the isolated drums for "No One Knows". You know why I don't think Grohl is like Ringo? Because if nobody had told me those were the drums for "No One Knows", I wouldn't ever have guessed it. Sounds like a pretty standard drum beat to me, could be the drums to any of 1000 songs.

Nothing against the guy, and everyone has the drummer (or drummers) that inspired them to play. But if everyone were a legend the term would be meaningless.

Did you listen to the whole song? I could sort of see saying that about the verses, but could you name 100 songs with drums like the chorus?

I don't know if that's actually true ...
Well, my statement was true. Nirvana changed rock n' roll and defined a generation.

My feelings about Grohl are about the same as my feelings about his band, The Foo Fighters: seem like nice guys, certainly technically capable, but ...
Firstly, we're mostly talking about Dave's drumming... He doesn't drum in the foo fighters, but regardless... It might not be your preferred listening style, however, the Foos are more than just capable. There's some really interesting music ideas and giant list of hit songs that traveled the world selling out 50,000 seats easily.

Someone posted a video of the isolated drums for "No One Knows". You know why I don't think Grohl is like Ringo? Because if nobody had told me those were the drums for "No One Knows", I wouldn't ever have guessed it. Sounds like a pretty standard drum beat to me, could be the drums to any of 1000 songs.
I don't think you listened long enough. If you could come up with a better drum part that wasn't so "standard" as you say to that song, let's hear it. You've got a large mountain to climb since that song went bonkers popular and still hits the radio to this day. It's a damn fine drum track that fits the song exceedingly well. Have you done much listening to the rest of the album?

Nothing against the guy, and everyone has the drummer (or drummers) that inspired them to play. But if everyone were a legend the term would be meaningless.
Sure, but Dave should probably qualify if you just look at his accomplishments, what he's been involved with, the stuff he's come up with and the generations he's influenced. I say again. Ask people on the street to name some famous drummers. I'm positive that Dave Grohl would be very high on the list in their heads.

Know what tons of teachers around the bay area here use as an intro for kids learning flams? Smells like teen spirit. That iconic intro doesn't need to be complicated because it kicks ass and gets the song off to a raging start.

Sure, but Dave should probably qualify if you just look at his accomplishments, what he's been involved with, the stuff he's come up with and the generations he's influenced.
Generations? Generations? Really? You know what is considered a generation? A time-span of 30 years. Grohl ain't that long in business, dude.

And why the heck - really, why the heck do some people insist that he needs to be considered a legend(!) by everyone now(!)? Does it make you horny or what? *lol* Let's just wait fifteen years. If people are still going crazy because of him then, if critics say he was a really important piece in drumming history, then hell yeah, you have the right to consider him a legendary drummer. But now? Pffff... This is ridiculous.

Ask people on the street to name some famous drummers. I'm positive that Dave Grohl would be very high on the list in their heads.
Nah. They would mention Lars Ulrich. Legendary drummer. Hands down. Best drummer ever. Then maybe some guy called Ringo. "Common people" (that is non-drummers) don't know many more drummers. I bet that most people will rather say: "Grohl? A drummer? Go away, he's a singer for the Foo Fighters".

Generations? Generations? Really? You know what is considered a generation? A time-span of 30 years. Grohl ain't that long in business, dude.
From the wiki on the word "generation":

"Generation" is also often used synonymously with cohort in social science; under this formulation it means "people within a delineated population who experience the same significant events within a given period of time".

So, no. 30 years has nothing to do with the fact that Nirvana has influenced several generations of kids growing up and even becoming musicians.

Nah. They would mention Lars Ulrich. Legendary drummer. Hands down. Best drummer ever. Then maybe some guy called Ringo. "Common people" (that is non-drummers) don't know many more drummers. I bet that most people will rather say: "Grohl? A drummer? Go away, he's a singer for the Foo Fighters".
Hate to break it to you, but yes, in spite of his lack of flashy skills, Lars is a legend in rock music. Just the same as ringo. You don't need to "innovate" or have the chops to play ridiculous 128th note fills like Weckl, you basically just need to be in the right band at the right time and do a good job of making that music awesome. Lars is right there in the Rock n' Roll hall of fame, right next to Dave. He (or at least the engineers pasting all his parts together) made some kick ass inspirational, popular and time-enduring stuff.

Humans live ~90 years. At any single point in time, an action can affect three generations. The 30 year metric is only useful for distinguishing one generation from another.

So, no. 30 years has nothing to do with the fact that Nirvana has influenced several generations of kids growing up and even becoming musicians.
Well, in my mother language, a generation is considered a 30 year span. So be it. Different languages, different interpretations.

you basically just need to be in the right band at the right time and do a good job of making that music awesome.
Then ... why is Mike Botts not a legend? He was at the right time with the right band and did a good job of making music awesome. Same for Brad Wilk. Same for John Keeble. Alan White. John Coghlan & Jeff Rich. Alex Napier. Paul Cook. Pete Spencer. Brian Downey. ... There is more to it, for being considered a legend.

Well, in my mother language, a generation is considered a 30 year span. So be it. Different languages, different interpretations.
Fair enough. Most folks I know think of it as generations of children, or use the term very loosely to cover a decade or a few decades.

Then ... why is Mike Botts not a legend? He was at the right time with the right band and did a good job of making music awesome. Same for Brad Wilk. Same for John Keeble. Alan White. John Coghlan & Jeff Rich. Alex Napier. Paul Cook. Pete Spencer. Brian Downey. ... There is more to it, for being considered a legend.
Good question! With the exception of a few of those names, even I didn't know them off the top of my head. I'm sure the reasons each band didn't reach the Nirvana, Beatles, Metallica type levels are different for each, but just the fact that they didn't have great success on the global scale and the recognition that comes with is probably a big part.

Arguments can be made... Wilk for example gets a fair amount of head nod even today and is sought by a good set of musicians for projects or session work on a project. Rage got really big and he had a simple but solid approach that really fit that band. Maybe the bands' anti-establishment stance kept them from really hitting the same stratosphere? I'm sure he's a legend to a lot of people who grew up hating on the machine.

I've seen it repeated a couple times in here, but if you can't listen to a track by players like Bonham, Ringo or Grohl and understand why it's greater than the sum of its parts... you either need to do a lot more listening and studying, or find a new hobby.

And one more thing, being the first to play a lick isn't the most important thing. Making people sit up and appreciate how you played it decades later is.

but just the fact that they didn't have great success on the global scale and the recognition that comes with is probably a big part.
Google the names and the corresponding bands. You will maye surprised that the list of the drummers above is taken from the "Crème de la crème" of rock and pop music. All bands that had a huge success all over the world and sold millions of records. They reached the Nirvana/Metallica-level back then. ;-)

Google the names and the corresponding bands. You will maye surprised that the list of the drummers above is taken from the "Crème de la crème" of rock and pop music. All bands that had a huge success all over the world and sold millions of records. They reached the Nirvana/Metallica-level back then. ;-)

Well, frankly, we drummers get the crap end of the stick when it comes to recognition of our efforts. Good guitar players are way more likely to be named from any of those bands... And none of them were really in the levels of fame we're discussing with Nirvana or Metallica type fame... Bands that basically defined a entire genre in popular music world-wide and sold tickets to people who couldn't even understand the English language.

I also think we've got a different frame of reference, what with oceans between. I just yelled "hey does anyone in the office know what 'Spandau Ballet' is?" and couldn't find any takers. Plenty know what "bread" is, but they had the wrong context. I decided against yelling a third time.

Hehe... Spandau Ballet was a huge success in the 1980's. They filled stadiums all over the world. Same with Bread in the 1970's. One of the "Superstar"-Bands of the mid to late 1970's. But somehow, their music got pretty much forgotten with the (electronic) changes in music in the early 1980s. Status Quo is somehow a miracle 'cause they were a huge success all over the world for several decades, while playing rather "simple" music for most of their career. Most of the bands of those listed drummers are considered legendary. But not the drummers.

I've seen it repeated a couple times in here, but if you can't listen to a track by players like Bonham, Ringo or Grohl and understand why it's greater than the sum of its parts... you either need to do a lot more listening and studying, or find a new hobby.

And one more thing, being the first to play a lick isn't the most important thing. Making people sit up and appreciate how you played it decades later is.
*thumbs up*

On a tangent, when talking about some of the other drummers mentioned in this thread the point has been made that they were just in the right band in the right place at the right time.
Perhaps it's worth considering that the band was only the right band because the input of the drummer made them "the right band", maybe they wouldn't have been in the right place if not for the drummer, maybe it was the band (& drummer) that "made" the time right. I'm talking about the drummer here but the same could be true of any band member or combination of members.

The most obvious drummer to me that this applies to is Lars Ulrich (and bear in mind here that the last Metallica album I bought was Ride The Lightning on its week of release). I genuinely don't know how good or "bad" a drummer he is and to be honest it's pointless arguing over it as a lot of it is down to opinion. However it's unarguable that he founded and drove, and continues to drive, Metallica to the point they're at now, and I'm talking about "drive" in a business sense not driving the music from the drum stool. Without him pushing the band, getting gigs etc etc they may well not have gotten anywhere even with a "better" drummer.

Love this clip but not sure it's worth its own thread so here's to all sorts of revivals!

He's really hard to dislike. His music may not be for everyone, but the man is cool.

The way he structures his drum parts is really clever. Each song has a signature fill that works like a hook, usually before the chorus. I think he's brilliant.

I really like this regular Drumeo feature, but this is one of the most interesting yet. Obviously, Ulysses Owens Jr. Is a monster player but his wheelhouse is so incredibly different that his perspective is miles away. But it's also interesting how when he finally hears the original, he picks up on something that it took pretty much everyone else decades to realize--and only once Dave Grohl himself admitted it--which is how much of Grohl's style is from funk/disco/R&B.

Dave having a go on Charlie Benantes kit:

Back