Yess mounts chocking out toms

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I have issues with my stage custom toms choking out when mounted on the bass drum mount but when on a stand.

Has anyone tried anything but the Yamaha bass drum mount?

If the hex rod piece is good on the stand, the bd or the triple tree must be where the issue is

The only time I've ever had problems with the YESS mounts is when the hex rod is actually touching the little thing on the shell. Pulling it out even 1/4" fixes the problem. Could it be that?

I've used Yamaha triple holders YESS and pre-YESS for many many years. One thing I've noticed is that every thing that touches it has a effect on the resonance of the drums, for instance. With two toms on the holder, the position of each drum will effect both drums resonance. Even the placement of a splash cym in the third holder will effect how the drums resonate. I had to angle my splash to certain spot for the toms to resonate fully. Most of the time I had to pull the toms all the way out to the end of the hex shaft in order for them to really sing. I use a 4 pc kit now and have my rack tom in the triple holder on a tripod with cymbals in the other holders. Now with this set up I have to push the tom as far on the hex shaft as possible for the drum to sing properly. So if you haven't tried placing it in different spots on the hex shaft, try sliding it back and forth and see if it makes a difference.

I put mine on the Gibraltar RIMS copy mounts and they sing. The YESS mounts don’t work imho

I've used Yamaha triple holders YESS and pre-YESS for many many years. One thing I've noticed is that every thing that touches it has a effect on the resonance of the drums, for instance. With two toms on the holder, the position of each drum will effect both drums resonance. Even the placement of a splash cym in the third holder will affect how the drums resonate. I had to angle my splash to certain spot for the toms to resonate fully. Most of the time I had to pull the toms all the way out to the end of the hex shaft in order for them to really sing. I use a 4 pc kit now and have my rack tom in the triple holder on a tripod with cymbals in the other holders. Now with this set up I have to push the tom as far on the hex shaft as possible for the drum to sing properly. So if you haven't tried placing it in different spots on the hex shaft, try sliding it back and forth and see if it makes a difference.
RIMS mounts solve the problem
It sucks bc I love the mounts they just don’t make them resonate

I have several Yamaha drum sets and as long as I back out the hex rod a little I have not had a problem with the YESS mounts.

BUT, Note that the more expensive Yamaha drum sets now use the Y.E.S.S. lll mounts seen here:

1614334_762589547085398_1172427876_o.jpg

And Yamaha makes this statement about the above mount: "An evolutionary step up from our Y.E.S.S. II tom mount, the Y.E.S.S. III mount further reduces acoustic dampening, allowing the shell to vibrate more freely and it brings out more of the shell's natural sustain and volume."

AND,
The most expensive Yamaha Drum kit uses this tom mount:

dndmewz7vbtby4ofovms.jpg

So, Yamaha must have thought there was a problem, or else they would not have changed (improved) their design .......... LOL

I have several Yamaha drum sets and as long as I back out the hex rod a little I have not had a problem with the YESS mounts.

BUT, Note that the more expensive Yamaha drum sets now use the Y.E.S.S. lll mounts seen here:

View attachment 141153

And Yamaha makes this statement about the above mount: "An evolutionary step up from our Y.E.S.S. II tom mount, the Y.E.S.S. III mount further reduces acoustic dampening, allowing the shell to vibrate more freely and it brings out more of the shell's natural sustain and volume."

AND,
The most expensive Yamaha Drum kit uses this tom mount:

View attachment 141154

So, Yamaha must have thought there was a problem, or else they would not have changed (improved) their design .......... LOL

They adjusted the yess mount according the newer advanced build of the toms. Not because the old one was bad.

The fact that the original yess is still in use for over 30 years attests to this.

If used correctly, yess works great.

I used to own Yamaha drums (stage custom, recording custom, custom absolute).

Overall, I liked the YESS mounts and never noticed any trouble with resonance. Frankly, I thought the original, through-the-shell mounts sounded fine as is. The only problem I saw with YESS mounts is that the entire weight of the drum is resting on two very small contact points. That always bothered me. Various people "in the know" assured me Yamaha engineers had approved the design and my concerns were unfounded.

But... Whenever I mounted any drum larger than 13" I'd get a lot of noticeable wobble. I didn't like that.

Now I see that Yamaha has gone to a 3-hole YESS mount instead of a 2-hole, proclaiming that the 3-hole will "enhance resonance". Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't see how drilling another hole is going to enhance any sort of resonance. Yes, it will provide a sturdier platform, but resonance? Nope. I'm not buying it.

I love Yamaha drums but I agree that YESS mounts choke toms. You have to mess with them to get them to sound good.

Sadly, I gave up using the accessory holder (where I mounted a splash) to get the most resonance from my Stage Customs. I also figured out that the 12" tom needed to be pushed closer to the ball joint on the hex rod to balance the whole thing. The 10" is lighter so it could be mounted a little further down the rod and that helped to distribute the weight better.

I never did try another mounting system for any of my Yamaha kits so I can't comment on them. I don't gig my Stage Customs anymore so I'm not going to invest in them, but I'm curious to hear the outcome of this experiment.

Overall, I liked the YESS mounts and never noticed any trouble with resonance. Frankly, I thought the original, through-the-shell mounts sounded fine as is. The only problem I saw with YESS mounts is that the entire weight of the drum is resting on two very small contact points. That always bothered me. Various people "in the know" assured me Yamaha engineers had approved the design and my concerns were unfounded.

But... Whenever I mounted any drum larger than 13" I'd get a lot of noticeable wobble. I didn't like that.

Now I see that Yamaha has gone to a 3-hole YESS mount instead of a 2-hole, proclaiming that the 3-hole will "enhance resonance". Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't see how drilling another hole is going to enhance any sort of resonance. Yes, it will provide a sturdier platform, but resonance? Nope. I'm not buying it.

It's a thinker. :unsure:

Its not just the extra hole, but also the spread of weight, and how they are mounted (totally separated from the shell, instead of direct through the shell).

Reactions: A J
Its not just the extra hole, but also the spread of weight, and how they are mounted (totally separated from the shell, instead of direct through the shell).

Since I've never even seen the new Yamaha YESS mount, I'll defer to your wisdom. Until I actually do, I remain a bit skeptical. What I DO know is that the original YESS system worked flawlessly for me albeit my two concerns:
- Large toms were wobbly.
- The two-hole system seemed to put too much stress on a very small part of the shell.

Back