In Ears Mixer / Setup - Advice Needed

Juniper

Gold Member
My band is looking to explore the possibility of all using in ears.

Currently our mixer is a Behringer Xenyx 2442, which is an analog 12 input mixer.

My question to the forum, is would this mixer be compatible to link up to a wireless transmitter and if so what type? We’d ideally like to push out to wireless receivers for each band member other than me (I’d be happy with a wired connection) five band members in total, potentially 10 channels used (4x drum mics, 3x vox, 2x guitars & 1 bass…etc)

Or should we just look for a digital mixer to replace the above?

Any advice / help would be appreciated as mixers really aren’t my specialty.

Thank you for reading!

Just about every mixer can hookup to an IEM system. We’ve been using the new Audio Technica 3000 series. They have been excellent, they are medium priced and they tune across the entire USA legal band so no matter where you get off the bus you’ll have channels available.

My band is looking to explore the possibility of all using in ears.

Currently our mixer is a Behringer Xenyx 2442, which is an analog 12 input mixer.

My question to the forum, is would this mixer be compatible to link up to a wireless transmitter and if so what type? We’d ideally like to push out to wireless receivers for each band member other than me (I’d be happy with a wired connection) five band members in total, potentially 10 channels used (4x drum mics, 3x vox, 2x guitars & 1 bass…etc)

Or should we just look for a digital mixer to replace the above?

Any advice / help would be appreciated as mixers really aren’t my specialty.

Thank you for reading!
Well, yes. And no.

Usually, when we use an In-Ear Monitor System, that's one set of in-ears for one person. So for five people, you need at least FIVE serperate Auxiliary outputs to accommodate FIVE In-ear monitor systems - one for each member of the band. So the Xenyx looks like it will do three, and possibly four, if you don't use any FX on your mix (who doesn't?).

How I do it in my band, I use a SoundCraft UI24r digital mixer, and this mixer can take as many as 20 inputs (more than you need, but in my band, EVERYTHING goes into the board). This mixer also has your usual stereo outputs (for the house speakers), and EIGHT Auxiliary outputs. So my four band members get their own In-Ear system, and it also leaves extra outputs in case I want to push things to subwoofers or an extra monitor speaker, or even give a feed to a videocamera.

So you need a bigger board that will give you the required amount of outputs so each member can have his own in-ear monitor mix (they get to choose what they hear if everything is coming into the mixer). So any mixer with 8 aux outputs will do for you. Usually when you get that many outputs, you'll be getting at least 16-24 inputs to plug in your instruments and vocal mics.

But do ALOT of homework and even study the basics of sound mixing so you can understand what it is that you need.

Just about every mixer can hookup to an IEM system. We’ve been using the new Audio Technica 3000 series. They have been excellent, they are medium priced and they tune across the entire USA legal band so no matter where you get off the bus you’ll have channels available.
Well, yes. And no.

Usually, when we use an In-Ear Monitor System, that's one set of in-ears for one person. So for five people, you need at least FIVE serperate Auxiliary outputs to accommodate FIVE In-ear monitor systems - one for each member of the band. So the Xenyx looks like it will do three, and possibly four, if you don't use any FX on your mix (who doesn't?).

How I do it in my band, I use a SoundCraft UI24r digital mixer, and this mixer can take as many as 20 inputs (more than you need, but in my band, EVERYTHING goes into the board). This mixer also has your usual stereo outputs (for the house speakers), and EIGHT Auxiliary outputs. So my four band members get their own In-Ear system, and it also leaves extra outputs in case I want to push things to subwoofers or an extra monitor speaker, or even give a feed to a videocamera.

So you need a bigger board that will give you the required amount of outputs so each member can have his own in-ear monitor mix (they get to choose what they hear if everything is coming into the mixer). So any mixer with 8 aux outputs will do for you. Usually when you get that many outputs, you'll be getting at least 16-24 inputs to plug in your instruments and vocal mics.

But do ALOT of homework and even study the basics of sound mixing so you can understand what it is that you need.

That’s great, thank you both very much. Really useful and slowly figuring this all out and your insight helps a lot with that.

I think the band is leaning towards a Behringer X Air XR18, which seems to be ticking a few boxes currently for our needs.

Looks like I can still control my personal mix via my iPad but run a XLR Cable to a Behringer Powerplay Amplifier to connect my Shure 215’s to, as I’ll be the only one wired for obvious reasons being stationary.

The rest of the band will be wireless and receiving their feed that way, moving around…etc.

Again, really appreciate your responses. It’s a great help! Any further insight is always appreciated.

First, what @Bo Eder said.

Second, if a couple of you don't mind having the exact same IEM mix, then what you have may work.

Our band has the QSC Touchmix 30. It's much simpler and easier to use than the X32. I used to despise digital boards until we go the QSC. We have a couple hundred gigs and rehearsals on ours, and it's been very road-worthy.

From the Zoom Livetrack L-20 manual:

6 MONITOR OUT channels In addition to the MASTER OUT, the also has 6 MONITOR OUT channels. The MONITOR OUT mixes can be set separately for each output, enabling different mixes to be sent to individual performers. Moreover, they support output to both headphones and monitor speakers.

Page 35
Most of the Zoom products I’ve played with are a little convoluted - meaning there’s menus involved since it’s a software product. Find something simpler to use where you have the outputs, and all you need to do is go to a page (like on an iPad app) or physical knob to send a particular channel to whichever AUX output you want. I love technology, but I love it more when it’s easy to use and I don’t have to learn, or re-learn a lot - especially in a panic situation, like using it for a live concert. The Zoom seems better suited to rehearsal halls where you’re also recording. For a little more than the Zoom, you can get the Soundcraft UI24R which, even though tablet/computer/smartphone based, is built for live mixing (recording is secondary).

Just my 2-cents after being an audio mixer for 20+ years.

My band is 5 musicians using a Behringer XR18 digital mixer. We use a laptop and a tablet to control the front of house sound and each musician uses his own tablet or phone to control his in-ear mix. We all have wired in-ear monitors, but the three that are out front are moving to wireless using the Xvive system (see video below). So far they are satisfied with these. They are simple and cheap and you may want to get higher quality, but like I said so far they like them.

Alan Hamilton (the guy that did this Xvive video) has a great playlist about learning and using the XR18 on his YouTube channel.

My band is 5 musicians using a Behringer XR18 digital mixer. We use a laptop and a tablet to control the front of house sound and each musician uses his own tablet or phone to control his in-ear mix. We all have wired in-ear monitors, but the three that are out front are moving to wireless using the Xvive system (see video below). So far they are satisfied with these. They are simple and cheap and you may want to get higher quality, but like I said so far they like them.

Alan Hamilton (the guy that did this Xvive video) has a great playlist about learning and using the XR18 on his YouTube channel.

That’s brilliant, thank you.

Question that’s come up on the band. Do you just use the one transmitter when each having your own mix?

Or do you need one per bandmate for the XR18, if you want to each control your own mixes.

Most of the Zoom products I’ve played with are a little convoluted - meaning there’s menus involved since it’s a software product. Find something simpler to use where you have the outputs, and all you need to do is go to a page (like on an iPad app) or physical knob to send a particular channel to whichever AUX output you want. I love technology, but I love it more when it’s easy to use and I don’t have to learn, or re-learn a lot - especially in a panic situation, like using it for a live concert. The Zoom seems better suited to rehearsal halls where you’re also recording. For a little more than the Zoom, you can get the Soundcraft UI24R which, even though tablet/computer/smartphone based, is built for live mixing (recording is secondary).

Just my 2-cents after being an audio mixer for 20+ years.
You can control the Zoom with your ipad as well.

That’s brilliant, thank you.

Question that’s come up on the band. Do you just use the one transmitter when each having your own mix?

Or do you need one per bandmate for the XR18, if you want to each control your own mixes.
Each one of us uses one aux out and that allows each one of us to control our individual mix via personal tablet or phone. I believe you can connect a transmitter to one aux out and that transmitter could send the same mix to multiple receivers. So, for example, all the horns could receive the mix coming from Aux out 2, but they'd all receive the same mix. I don't know much about this way of doing it. It seems like next level stuff to me. But wireless guitars, mics, and in-ears is pretty nice since it eliminates cables.

Each one of us uses one aux out and that allows each one of us to control our individual mix via personal tablet or phone. I believe you can connect a transmitter to one aux out and that transmitter could send the same mix to multiple receivers. So, for example, all the horns could receive the mix coming from Aux out 2, but they'd all receive the same mix. I don't know much about this way of doing it. It seems like next level stuff to me. But wireless guitars, mics, and in-ears is pretty nice since it eliminates cables.

Thank you, that’s really helpful again.

Appreciate everyone’s responses and insight, looks like we’re going to pull the trigger on an XR18 and other items shortly

I would go for the X32 rack which will give you many more options. Yes I know it is double the price, but you get what you paid for.

Then you can combine that with the personal mixer and have 16 individual channels each, so then all band members can do their own mix from the master mix.

Finally the drummer doesn't need to be wireless but for those that do add one of this:

It doesn't have to be that specific one but you get the idea.

Of course the Xr18 can also use the P16Ms

I would go for the X32 rack which will give you many more options. Yes I know it is double the price, but you get what you paid for.

Then you can combine that with the personal mixer and have 16 individual channels each, so then all band members can do their own mix from the master mix.

Finally the drummer doesn't need to be wireless but for those that do add one of this:

It doesn't have to be that specific one but you get the idea.

Of course the Xr18 can also use the P16Ms
I think the XR32 may give us more than we need.

We’re only looking to use ten channels, at most. (4x drums, 3 vocals, 2 x guitar and 1x bass) with four wireless channels for the standing members and one wired output to me sat at my drums, connecting via a XLR cable to a Behringer Powerplay P1 personal amplifier. I can control my own mix via my IPad still, I think.

That should all hopefully be covered by the XR18, unless I am missing anything obvious of course!

I think the XR32 may give us more than we need.

We’re only looking to use ten channels, at most. (4x drums, 3 vocals, 2 x guitar and 1x bass) with four wireless channels for the standing members and one wired output to me sat at my drums, connecting via a XLR cable to a Behringer Powerplay P1 personal amplifier. I can control my own mix via my IPad still, I think.

That should all hopefully be covered by the XR18, unless I am missing anything obvious of course!
If you have a powerplay you don't need the ipad to control your mix, you just send the master mix to the powerplay, and you control your individual mix using the powerplay, this doesn't affect any other powerplay users or the main mix just your mix.
You can still use the ipad but that would be just adding an extra device not needed in this case, your sound guy should have the ipad to walk around the venue and set optimal levels for the main mix, but for you on stage the powerplay is all you should need and whatever way you connect to it (wired or wireless).

I meant to say you can do this if you have the

Behringer Powerplay P16-M​

If you have a powerplay you don't need the ipad to control your mix, you just send the master mix to the powerplay, and you control your individual mix using the powerplay, this doesn't affect any other powerplay users or the main mix just your mix.
You can still use the ipad but that would be just adding an extra device not needed in this case, your sound guy should have the ipad to walk around the venue and set optimal levels for the main mix, but for you on stage the powerplay is all you should need and whatever way you connect to it (wired or wireless).

I meant to say you can do this if you have the

Behringer Powerplay P16-M​

I think by adding a p16 personal mixer it just adds too much cost (£240+ 😬), for something I can control by my existing tablet.

ie I can set my own in ear mix via my iPad during soundcheck, and then simply use a P1 amp to connect my in ears to and adjust the main volume at times, if needed.

Would be nice to have a P16 but it’s just spending extra money for a function I can already have on my tablet I think.

Again, unless I am missing something obvious 😂

I think by adding a p16 personal mixer it just adds too much cost (£240+ 😬), for something I can control by my existing tablet.

ie I can set my own in ear mix via my iPad during soundcheck, and then simply use a P1 amp to connect my in ears to and adjust the main volume at times, if needed.

Would be nice to have a P16 but it’s just spending extra money for a function I can already have on my tablet I think.

Again, unless I am missing something obvious 😂
An ipad is more expensive that the P16.... and no you don't have to use the P16 you can just use your in ears connected to the XR18 and use your phone or your ipad to control your mix. It is just easier to have a physical device ( actual knobs and buttons) than a wireless interface but both will work just fine.

Back