Your "Ultimate" 13/16/22 Kit

gravyface

Hi all,

Long time drummer, long time lurker.

I'm looking to downsize my current drum collection (gasp, I know!) and looking for a 13/16/22 shell pack to take me to Mordor and Rule Them All.

Kits I've owned/currently own:
Yamaha Stage Customs
Ludwig keystone era (68/69)
Premier (early 70s/african mahogany)
Pearl exports (80s)
Pearl Session Studio Select (current live kit)
Slingerland concert setup

Studio and live, no real budget. Finish, I'm not super picky, but would lean towards a natural finish (i.e. vintage ludwig Thermogloss). Tuning/tone versatility and show-worthy hardware is a must.

I'm leaning towards Legacy Maple, but also looking at some Super Classics from the late 60s, but I'm just not sure I want to take those out to shows.

I have been shopping around for a 22/13/16 kit recently and my short list is now Gretsch Renown, Pearl Masters Maple, Pearl President Series, Ludwig Classic Oak, and Pearl Music City Custom. I am going to use this kit as my gigging kit and leave me Session Studio Selects set up in my home studio for practice and recording purposes. Just super tired of lugging around a 2 up 2 down setup and I feel like if I am gonna play a smaller setup then may as well go with what is in my opinion, the best 1 up 1 down configuration. Just something about a 13 in rack tom that I have always loved. Good luck in your search, friend.

I would say if you lean towards Legacy Maples, then go for them. As far as I can tell from countless videos on YouTube they sound nothing short of stellar. I recall DCP saying in their comprehensive Ludwig USA lines comparison, that Classic Maples have the widest tuning range by far from all their lines and that Legacy Maples have a more narrow sweet spot. A lot of it comes down to personal taste, I would probably go for Legacy Mahogany in that configuration or Gretsch Brooklyn (no real reason, I just think those drums are neat).

My late 60's-early 70's Gretsch round Badge in Olive Satin Flame that I got for $300, and immediately put
about $800 more into with a fresh set of heads all around and new diecast hoops for the toms!
Came to me PURELY by chance and are quickly ascending my list of all-time favourites! Lifetime keeper kit!

i pass those sizes aren't quick enough for 😁
Don Brewer TNUC yea but that was like what 1972?
And you already had them; your third on your list

Lots of good kits and lots of right answers to that question.

I'm fine with the lifetime kit I bought in 1993. Premier Signia Maple. 3 kicks, 2 snares, 6 toms.

Ludwig Classic Maple, then either Legacy (I also like Broadkasters). I have CMs and Legacy Mahogany (both include 13/16/22). The CMs have a much wider tuning range, a purer tone, and more sustain. They cut through a mix live AND record very well. The Legacy kit can be a bit finicky tuning-wise, is more "tubby" with a fuzzy tone, and definitely needs mics to cut through a live situation. If you're after a more modern, pure tone sound, then CMs. If you like a vintage, fuzzy sound, Legacy.

My choice of a natural finish would be Golden Slumbers.

Classic Maples or Noble & Cooley Horizon

Ludwig Classic Maple, then either Legacy (I also like Broadkasters). I have CMs and Legacy Mahogany (both include 13/16/22). The CMs have a much wider tuning range, a purer tone, and more sustain. They cut through a mix live AND record very well. The Legacy kit can be a bit finicky tuning-wise, is more "tubby" with a fuzzy tone, and definitely needs mics to cut through a live situation. If you're after a more modern, pure tone sound, then CMs. If you like a vintage, fuzzy sound, Legacy.

My choice of a natural finish would be Golden Slumbers.
Totally agree with @heartbeat - Classic Maples have a couple of advantages (for me) over the Legacy shells: price, and a wider tuning range with more projection. They can replicate the vintage-y sound pretty well with coated heads top and bottom, or the more modern attack and punch sound with clear heads.

Also agree about the Golden Slumbers suggestion for a natural finish. In fact, I have a CM 13/16/22 set with a vintage hardware buildout in Golden Slumbers gloss lacquer.

20220804_144540.jpg20220804_144622.jpg

Totally agree with @heartbeat - Classic Maples have a couple of advantages (for me) over the Legacy shells: price, and a wider tuning range with more projection. They can replicate the vintage-y sound pretty well with coated heads top and bottom, or the more modern attack and punch sound with clear heads.

Also agree about the Golden Slumbers suggestion for a natural finish. In fact, I have a CM 13/16/22 set with a vintage hardware buildout in Golden Slumbers gloss lacquer.

View attachment 140508View attachment 140509
Wow, that’s great looking. I really like that golden slumbers….especially contrasted against the B/O badge coloring…classy

View attachment 140508View attachment 140509
Those are beautiful drums. Are the bass drum spurs standard?

I'm leaning towards Legacy Maple, but also looking at some Super Classics from the late 60s, but I'm just not sure I want to take those out to shows.
Well, you can't go wrong with the Ludwig Legacy Maples. Very similar to Keystone and B/O Super Classics. I'm a huge fan of the three ply natural maple/thermogloss look and sound. Have a 26, 14, 16, 18 kit. To me ...... THAT is the classic Ludwig sound.

Back