hardest to play popular songs?

I don't like it either, and in general am not a FF fan (sorry, not sorry, lol). Had to learn it for a cover band several years ago and I modified some of the parts because all the busy-ness of the drums would overpower the rest of the band in a small bar, which is where this band primarily played. I didn't stay with them very (ever)long. (Rimshot!) 😜
I love it - and the FF.
Can't play it though!

I'll shake the Trees. I'm only a "light" intermediate hobbyist old timer "drummer" but to this day I have a difficult time with Good Lovin by the Rascals. And many others already cited (Black Dog, Roundabout, etc.).

I'll shake the Trees. I'm only a "light" intermediate hobbyist old timer "drummer" but to this day I have a difficult time with Good Lovin by the Rascals. And many others already cited (Black Dog, Roundabout, etc.).
That one gave me a little frustration, as well! And even if we manage to nail it, if the rest of the band are not in sync, much of our work doesn't seem to come through in the mix anyway!

The Black Crows. Hard To Handle. Sometimes I nail it. Not often though. Bullet Boys. Smooth Up In Ya. Same thing. 3 Doors Down. Loser. I can't do 16ths with one hand. Played it alternating hands, sounds okay. Doesn't feel right.
Smooth up in ya is two handed 16ths. At least it sounds that way and all their 4,754 drummers play it two handed as well. Maybe practice playing a song with slower one handed 16th's? You can use apps on your phone to slow songs down too. Maybe Gorgey Porgie by Toto or Tom Sawyer by Rush or better yet, the songs you already have to know. I wish I had that option when I was young and learning sheesh.

"Tangerine"?

😬 the 1942 version

Last edited:
The Black Crows. Hard To Handle. Sometimes I nail it. Not often though. Bullet Boys. Smooth Up In Ya. Same thing. 3 Doors Down. Loser. I can't do 16ths with one hand. Played it alternating hands, sounds okay. Doesn't feel right.
Hard to Handle is the reason I started using my Tama Rhythm Watch again. I had a tendency to start that drum groove too fast (should be at 105 BPM). By the second verse I'd get a dirty look from our bass player - who sings that tune. It's a lot of words to sing and if the song is too fast it's a little....ummm, hard to handle. ;)

Smooth up in ya is two handed 16ths. At least it sounds that way and all their 4,754 drummers play it two handed as well. Maybe practice playing a song with slower one handed 16th's? You can use apps on your phone to slow songs down too. Maybe Gorgey Porgie by Toto or Tom Sawyer by Rush or better yet, the songs you already have to know. I wish I had that option when I was young and learning sheesh.
Yep, I do play alternating hands, 16th notes with Smooth UP In Ya. It's just a quirky song for me. Loser is my one hand 16th note problem child, lol.

Take It Easy is the "and" of 4 before 1, almost like you're "jumping" on it.
Lol.. I ran into that on 'Already Gone' by the Eagles.. The guitarist would just jump into it and I'd be like listening intently for the last 8th note to jump in - which was very difficult to time correctly.. especially in a live situation where you may not be looking or hearing it. So I finally said enough - I'll count us in! it goes 1-2-3-4-1&2&3&4&1
Simple but works every time...

I struggled so many times with Already Gone until the guitar player said it goes,
and 2 and 3 and 4 and crash.

Then we got a new guitar player but he played/timed it a little differently.

When "Good Lovin'," "Gimme Some Lovin'" or "Sunshine of Your Love" pop up late in the gig, I may utter a slight groan. Love 'em, but they are work outs.

When "Good Lovin'," "Gimme Some Lovin'" or "Sunshine of Your Love" pop up late in the gig, I may utter a slight groan. Love 'em, but they are work outs.
Tomano, Funny I can handle "Gimme Some Lovin" (by playing along to the recordings not with a Live Band), and "Sunshine" was a Ginger Baker "twist" to what I thought was the beat. Baker is one of my favs all time Drummers because of his Syncopation Mastery- at least in that ERA. Being 72, Baker was in my ERA !!

so many times with Already Gone until the guitar player said it goes,
and 2 and 3 and
Yes that was the problem.. because he wasn't counting it in.. the pattern varied making it even harder. Once he realized how it went with the meter it was fine.

Spinning Wheel is a wild one to try and lick

What is Hip - ToP :cool:

Back