Sonor added Beech to their Kompressor snare line?

IBitePrettyHard

I can't find any info online. Maybe this is for Europe only?

They sound great. Very dry and focused, with a nice crack. The backbeats and rimshots are top-tier. Great for genres that require an energetic backbeat, I'd say.

What do you guys think?

I'm a 13 guy but I wasn't overly diggin on this one like the 6.5x13 Ddrum dios SpazzApproved had a short time ago.

I liked that 13x7 very much. All of the tunings, but particularly the higher ones. I like some ring.

That demo Spaz did on the dios was great too….I think Spaz’s micing job was better than this sonor demo, to be honest. Would love to hear this sonor demoed same room/mic against the dios

This was not on Memphisdrum last night….so I thought maybe this snare was indeed European market only….but here it popped up today. Sadly, Memphisdrum did not do a demo video (which is odd) but none the less it is available for purchase.

The circular tag says made in Germany. So are these made in Germany or somewhere in asia?

I watched the DCP video today on them and I have to say the low tuning had some funky overtones to it that I wasn't a fan of. Clearly could have been that particular tuning but while I like the idea of that line and I'm glad they exist it just wasn't my thing.

Thankfully there are 9 million other snares to choose from for me.......lol

Great targeted product release however and of course a very solid DCP vid Tony........granted I'm just one random NH customer......

The circular tag says made in Germany. So are these made in Germany or somewhere in asia?
They are made in Germany.
The asian made metal models only have an eylet around the vent, like so:
sonor-sonor-kompressor-575x14-steel-snare-drum-ks.jpg

So do they ship the metal bits to Germany or the shells to Asia, for final assembly?

The metal bits get shipped to Germany for the German made stuff like SQ2 for assembly there

"The original Force 2000s weren't at the perfect price point," Karl concedes. "When we established that series in the mid-'80s, all of the drums were made in Germany." For a while, the 3000, Custom, and Maple Custom lines kept it alive. But manufacturing costs in Germany continued to rise, and we took Force off the market because it was too expensive."

That experience taught Sonor that the only way to level the playing field within this market segment was to venture beyond their home turf.

At the end of 1997, they formed a partnership with JMT Musical Instrument Company, a manufacturer of many brands of musical instruments and accessories sold worldwide. Then they moved all the Force molds and tooling to China. Going offshore allowed them to resume manufacturing the series the following year-but at a much lower cost.

Karl sees Sonor's arrangement with JM (as he and the other Germans abbreviate the company's name) sign of modern economic realities. "If you look around to other industries-cars, financing, banks, pharmaceuticals—they're all merging to become bigger and more powerful worldwide," he observes. "That's what we have done. JM is part of the KHS Group, a big company — a strong company - with facilities around the world. We are prepared for the future now."

JM's metalworks factory is at a separate four-acre site approximately thirty minutes away from the main manufacturing complex. (For environmental reasons, the government restricts electroplating operations to certain districts.) The processes performed there include die-casting, processing (drilling, threading, etc.), preparation (buffing, vibration polishing), and plating.

Both facilities are clean, efficient, and completely modern. Karl tells me that the state-of-the-art shell presses in Tianjin form the shells more efficiently than the ones in Germany. And most of the diecasting is done on new vacuum die-casting machinery, the industry's technical standard. Muse explains that vacuum eliminates air pockets in the molds as the metal is injected, ensuring stronger, higher-quality parts. It also reduces the burrs and other distortions common to less advanced types of casting.

Many of the smaller metal parts are polished in high-tech vibration polishing machines, where water and thousands of different-sized ceramic "cones" find their way into the parts' holes and crevices.
Then JMT's electrolytic plating machines, also state-of-the-art, apply copper, nickel, and finally chrome plating to much of the Force series' hardware.

"Most of the manufacturing equipment is brand-new," says Karl. "Some of it is made right here at JM. Some of it comes from other countries. There are even some American-made computer-controlled machines that cost millions of dollars." Even for their lower-cost products, Sonor clearly spared no expense on manufacturing equipment.”

Last edited:
I can't find any info online. Maybe this is for Europe only?

They sound great. Very dry and focused, with a nice crack. The backbeats and rimshots are top-tier. Great for genres that require an energetic backbeat, I'd say.

What do you guys think?

I saw that last night.
Drum sounds killer!
According to the site, they come in 14x6 and 13x7 sizes....and I'm in the USA.
https://www.sonor.com/drums/instruments/products/ks-1406-sdw
https://www.sonor.com/drums/instruments/products/ks-1307-sdw

I've heard about snare bed issues regarding the KHS factory. When it comes to OEM factories in China, I trust Jinbao and then Reliance.
KHS is the dealer of Sonor and Zildjian in China. They're responsible for the fact that an SQ2 kit here costs 3 times as much as one in Europe. It confirms that both companies have still got deep-level connections - IIRC KHS at one point claimed that they OWNED Sonor!
All in all I'm glad that Sonor is back building a non-luxury drum with their housekeeping wood species. Unfortunately KHS will keep it from anywhere near its price's worth, so I'm happy with my real 3-ply beech Trowa.

I've heard about snare bed issues regarding the KHS factory. When it comes to OEM factories in China, I trust Jinbao and then Reliance.
KHS is the dealer of Sonor and Zildjian in China. They're responsible for the fact that an SQ2 kit here costs 3 times as much as one in Europe. It confirms that both companies have still got deep-level connections - IIRC KHS at one point claimed that they OWNED Sonor!
All in all I'm glad that Sonor is back building a non-luxury drum with their housekeeping wood species. Unfortunately KHS will keep it from anywhere near its price's worth, so I'm happy with my real 3-ply beech Trowa.
No snare bed issues, or any other problems to report here and my kit was one of the first series to come out of that KHS factory.

1699503244888.png

Back