Bernard Purdie’s 80s electronic drums

JimmyM

Diamond Member
1678088886557.jpeg

Well this brings back memories! I’m 99% sure that this is the photo I helped Bernard Purdie set up for in 1984. That sweater and medallion looks familiar. I briefly worked at a photo studio in Miami that did a lot of shoots for him. Very friendly, explained how they worked to me, answered my dopey kid questions about how to get into the studio game, etc. But until just now, that was the first and last time I ever saw them. Or him for that matter.

Is anyone else familiar with these MPC e drums he used to distribute? Has anyone but Bernard and me ever even seen them in person? I vaguely remember them feeling easier on the hands than the Simmons tabletops, but that’s all I remember. And he set them up in playing position but didn’t plug them up. I would imagine it was the usual bloops and beeps you got with those types of drums.

It looks like they hooked up to a Timex Sinclair 1000:

TimexS1000.jpg

Even YouTube hasn't heard of these lol

I did find some mentions of an all in one table top style "drum kit" with build in sequencer from the brand but as Jimmy mentioned they sound like "bloops and beeps"

I'm wondering if these didn't have any sort of included module or 'brain' and required an external device to make sound

Even YouTube hasn't heard of these lol

I did find some mentions of an all in one table top style "drum kit" with build in sequencer from the brand but as Jimmy mentioned they sound like "bloops and beeps"

I'm wondering if these didn't have any sort of included module or 'brain' and required an external device to make sound
This?
1678197261220.jpeg

My main man Bernard Purdie, who I subbed for him when he was recording Beatles albums, and actually it was I who taught him the Pfffst-pffst on hats. Yeah that’s the ticket. ROFL

I do love this guy. Reminds me of my Dad in style and taking liberties with reality-my Dad got involved with venture making e-lectric gui-tars. Tanked like this drum kit I imagine. I wish there was a video of him playing it.

Back