Drummers who don't get enough recognition?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
I've always liked Collective Souls Shane Evans and rarely hear anyone mention him. Super tasteful with great kit sounds. Who's your guy and why do you like him/her.

.Andy Ward from Camel:

Spent a lot of time as a young drummer trying to play along badly. I got better but it still throws me a gauntlet every time I listen. It's not necessarily the notes, it's the lightness yet assertiveness that gets me. And he knows how to play that ride cleanly.

I know he gets a lot of plaudits but I also think Bill Bruford is criminally underrated:

Probably the two players I've taken the most from. Particularly Bruford.

And if you really want to delve a bit deeper into the weird stuff from the 70s that I love - a bit of Chris Cutler:

Last edited:
I've never understood why I don't see Roger Earl the drummer of Foghat, mentioned here more often. I love their albums 2 through 7
These are from the 70s but he is still playing putting out Foghat music. I like some of their new music also. I think Roger's playing is just right for the music.

I've always liked Collective Souls Shane Evans and rarely hear anyone mention him. Super tasteful with great kit sounds. Who's your guy and why do you like him/her.
Great mention! I've been listening to him allot lately. Tricky swing to his grooves. Another favorite of mine from that style/era is Robin Goodridge of Bush.

Last edited:
I think the Appice brothers are both fantastic hard rock drummers. Everyone seems to be obsessed with blathering on about what a tool Carmine is, Who cares? You're never gonna meet the guy. Just enjoy what real hard rock drumming is supposed to be and stop whining. Prince and Richie Blackmore were much bigger assholes than Carmine, but nobody seems to mind about them. 🤡

Back