A Curious Thing I've Noticed when Practising

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I've been doing a LOT of practising recently, because I'm preparing some rather difficult snare drum compositions for performance. I've been averaging 3-5 hours per day, four or five days per week, and really pushing hard.

Because I'm concentrating so much, I find I'm grinding my teeth when playing. I've never noticed it before, and I don't think I've done it before. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm also wondering whether it's part of a larger stress response through having a lot of work on, and doing it while practising on something difficult and important is bringing it out.

When I'm practising, I'm standing at my snare (on a concert stand) in front of a mirror, working on some rather dense passages on long pieces, and I suddenly find I've been grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw. Something I need to keep an eye on, I suppose, or I'll ruin my teeth!

I've been doing a LOT of practising recently, because I'm preparing some rather difficult snare drum compositions for performance. I've been averaging 3-5 hours per day, four or five days per week, and really pushing hard.

Because I'm concentrating so much, I find I'm grinding my teeth when playing. I've never noticed it before, and I don't think I've done it before. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm also wondering whether it's part of a larger stress response through having a lot of work on, and doing it while practising on something difficult and important is bringing it out.

When I'm practising, I'm standing at my snare (on a concert stand) in front of a mirror, working on some rather dense passages on long pieces, and I suddenly find I've been grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw. Something I need to keep an eye on, I suppose, or I'll ruin my teeth!
I started doing the same thing a few years ago when I was learning songs and programming keys for an album to tight deadlines. My dentist pointed it out and it was whilst programming at 1am one morning that I actually caught myself doing it. In my case it was a prickly combo of intense concentration, tiredness and stress! Look after yourself. (y) :)

I agree with above posters that (1) you should talk to your dentist about whether you grind at night (I do and got a bite guard through my dentist, similar to custom in-ears, ha), and (2) consider chewing (sugarless) gum while you practice.

Ah end of year performances, been there, done it and got the t-shirt. Literally wake up, practice and sleep. I remember class mates coming down with tendonitis. It's not good practice!

I haven't ground my teeth whilst playing or trying too hard, we naturally tense up when coming up to a difficult bit. I used to get told off in lessons for tensing up and rightly so, you can hear it in your playing and if you're not careful you can develop an RSI. I'd always recommend taking a break if you are aware you're doing it and slowing the part down so you can develop the muscle memory. Can't emphasise a good warm up enough either!

See your dentist regarding grinding your teeth as you may be doing it in your sleep too.

Ah end of year performances, been there, done it and got the t-shirt. Literally wake up, practice and sleep. I remember class mates coming down with tendonitis. It's not good practice!

Just to clarify, this is nothing to do with school or college. This is part of a composition commission for my publishing company. I've been playing professionally for ten years and have no issues with tendonitis.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I went to the dentist yesterday, by pure coincidence, and there was no signs of teeth grinding. I'll have to keep an eye on things. I did a couple of hours this morning and consciously stopped myself doing it.

There’s medication for this. I believe it’s called Allison Kraus & Union Station and a good cup of tea.

The trick when engaging in any complex physical activity (and drumming certainly meets that description) is to remain at once relaxed and focused. Tension in the body emanates from tension in the mind. Cultivating a vigilant apathy, if I'm permitted that oxymoron, is the most effective means of conquering unease. By vigilant, I mean remaining centered on the task at hand. By apathy, I refer to the condition of taking nothing too seriously. No matter the setting or purpose, drumming is never a life-or-death equation. All drumming mishaps are negligible, and all perceived risks are imaginary. When you stop worrying about errors, both mind and body are free to perform at their highest levels, and every aspect of your playing is enhanced. Your teeth will be appreciative too.

The trick when engaging in any complex physical activity (and drumming certainly meets that description) is to remain at once relaxed and focused. Tension in the body emanates from tension in the mind. Cultivating a vigilant apathy, if I'm permitted that oxymoron, is the most effective means of conquering unease. By vigilant, I mean remaining centered on the task at hand. By apathy, I refer to the condition of taking nothing too seriously. No matter the setting or purpose, drumming is never a life-or-death equation. All drumming mishaps are negligible, and all perceived risks are imaginary. When you stop worrying about errors, both mind and body are free to perform at their highest levels, and every aspect of your playing is enhanced. Your teeth will be appreciative too.

Thanks, this was a really refreshing read. You're absolutely right. I should read this before every session.

I've always bear stress in my jaws. I've ground my teeth down to nubs. When in grad school I volunteered for a Dental study measuring jaw stress while sleeping-had to hook myself up to electrodes with a recording box. Turns out I wasn't grinding my teeth at night while asleep (which I had a bite plate made and was wearing) but during active stress during the day. I'm not hardly conscious of it till I develop TMJ like issues. The more I concentrate the more my jaw juts out or I grind. My wife sticks her tongue out when she concentrates-I find that so cute LOL.

Your not alone! I have been singing internally ,and grinding my teeth for the past 55 years while playing drums. now that i am older i would say in the last 8 years my dentist tells me that grinding is what keeps breaking your crowns. they made me a mouth guard to wear when i play,did not wear it until last year because i am cracking too many crowns. now when practicing i wear it. still have not used it on a gig yet, but the time is near !!
I thought i just had this problem ??

Your not alone! I have been singing internally ,and grinding my teeth for the past 55 years while playing drums. now that i am older i would say in the last 8 years my dentist tells me that grinding is what keeps breaking your crowns. they made me a mouth guard to wear when i play,did not wear it until last year because i am cracking too many crowns. now when practicing i wear it. still have not used it on a gig yet, but the time is near !!
I thought i just had this problem ??

same here.....pretty much 24/7 for the past 45 years I play beats with my teeth while I am concentrating, driving, bored, sleeping...it has not done any noticeable damage that I have been told of...not any more than eating a steady diet of Reeses Peanut Butter cups and Oreos as a kid....

same here.....pretty much 24/7 for the past 45 years I play beats with my teeth while I am concentrating, driving, bored, sleeping...it has not done any noticeable damage that I have been told of...not any more than eating a steady diet of Reeses Peanut Butter cups and Oreos as a kid....
WOW ! this is really an eye opener, really thought this was just me ! Thanks for sharing Xs.

WOW ! this is really an eye opener, really thought this was just me ! Thanks for sharing Xs.

yep!

I do grooves, rudiments, lyrical cadence ideas...

I sometimes get a low level head ache, or jaw ache sometimes from doing it, but it goes away quickly

As someone who has suffered with TMJ in the past, I would not consider chewing gum. A mouth guard, like the athletes wear, is a probably a better solution. Or just focus on relaxing. Most teachers will tell you that tension is the enemy of groove.

When I suggested, maybe gum, I was thinking that you naturally don't chomp down hard when chewing gum, it might keep your mouth "busy", like the issue with smoking, and it might just "help" keep time. Like I said...just a thought.
I often looked at videos of like, Hendrix and Stevie Ray and it looked like they were chewing gum. Not sure if they were, but I could see it being a thing.

Back