A different perspective, I suppose

Well, I’m sorry to report that my thread on that FB group has devolved to name-calling and pompous ass-hattery. I’ve closed down the thread and left the group. I had to double-check to make sure I wasn’t leaving a guitarist chat group ?

After reading some of the comments over there, I’m not sure I want to be associated with people who love that brand.

No problem in the hands of a skilled technician. Looks like a drill. Could have used an impact driver, with a loose clutch.

I quit that group about a year ago. Absolutely littered with judgmental condescending asshats....
I’m a member of the group and not much has changed from a year ago. I’m a member of a handful of other groups and none come close to the same level of condescension...lol.

I’m a member of the group and not much has changed from a year ago. I’m a member of a handful of other groups and none come close to the same level of condescension...lol.
Funny thing, I’ve probably owned more DW kits over the last 20 years and like the brand, but I don’t think I’ve ever been a jack-hole about it. I guess there’s just a higher collector-to-player ratio with that brand.

I was at a DCI show in the parking lot and saw a truck roll over a matching snare. The explosion was incredible!

yikes!!! we had a trailer back in to a xylophone one time...no explosion, but definitely mangled the cart

Add me to the list of DW Collector's owners who gigs their kit and uses a drum key drill bit when changing heads.

I've also experienced the holier-than-thou attitude certain brand owners like to give off...similar to what I've experienced from certain luxury brand car owners...or some other Harley owners.

I've only left a couple of online forums and groups. One was a drum forum. The other was (get this...) a forum centered around a specific brand name of commercial lawnmowers on Facebook. No one would answer my questions. I've never faced more ridicule online than I did in that forum. Conversations would sound like this:
OP: "I need a stripe kit for my _____."
1st response: "You don't need a stripe kit if you actually know how to set your mower up."
2nd response: "Yup, he's right. The only people who buy stripe kits are people who don't know what the efff they are doing."

I didn't last long. And no, I didn't ask about stripe kit. :)

In essence, Bo you've done the right thing just getting rid of your thread and walking away. It's the best thing you can do. I heard just this week that you should never get into an argument with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.

I've only left a couple of online forums and groups. One was a drum forum. The other was (get this...) a forum centered around a specific brand name of commercial lawnmowers on Facebook. No one would answer my questions. I've never faced more ridicule online than I did in that forum. Conversations would sound like this:
OP: "I need a stripe kit for my _____."
1st response: "You don't need a stripe kit if you actually know how to set your mower up."
2nd response: "Yup, he's right. The only people who buy stripe kits are people who don't know what the efff they are doing."

I didn't last long. And no, I didn't ask about stripe kit. :)

In essence, Bo you've done the right thing just getting rid of your thread and walking away. It's the best thing you can do. I heard just this week that you should never get into an argument with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
I remember how cool this brand used to be before they became a big deal. Players actually played them outside and USED them. They’d get drilled for whatever hardware the owner saw fit to make it a work easier. And maybe it’s still that way for the ones that just don’t have time for social media chat groups, but yeah, what a big disappointment hob-knobing with this group of drum collectors. I’ll try not to blame the company whose marketing over the last 30 years created this.

I remember how cool this brand used to be before they became a big deal. Players actually played them outside and USED them. They’d get drilled for whatever hardware the owner saw fit to make it a work easier. And maybe it’s still that way for the ones that just don’t have time for social media chat groups, but yeah, what a big disappointment hob-knobing with this group of drum collectors. I’ll try not to blame the company whose marketing over the last 30 years created this.

It's a curious distinction between viewing drums as tools, status symbols, future valuable artifacts, or a blend of all those.

I've always dug the way Jim Keltner adorned his tools w/ no regard or thought as to what extra mass on the toms would do to it. Not my personal style taste, but I respect the approach of "these are my tools, I'll do with them what pleases me."
Keltner.png

Edit to add: I do understand that not everyone has the financial and drum company access that Keltner, others have or may need to be more conservative in how they customize them should they need to sell them, or may not have clients who appreciate such an artistic appearance.

Last edited:
I have done no phone based/app based/mainstream social media ever. It is evil in all ways to me.

I am on DrummerWorld; TalkBass; TacomaWorld; MTBR; VitalBMX; SportsCardForum; tnttt (for tear drop trailers) as far as forums go
- out of all of these DrummerWorld is definitely the most civil, and best "patrolled". MTBR can get out of control, but not usually more than PG-13. The worst forums I have experienced are usually sports talk forums, and VitalBMX gets bad b/c it is mostly kids.

I hear Reddit is bad...almost like a free for all, so have never been a part of that.

Never been kicked out of, or even banned from any place. I have had a couple warnings for getting into politics way back when I did not "get" the culture of adult forums...

Is this seriously a thing? People who only collect that are snooty to actual drummers? Like they have room to say anything.

Nothing wrong with using a drill is you know what you are doing. I would suspect most drum techs use them for quick changes before and during a show. All cordless drills have a clutch so they can be set very loose to prevent over tightening. I bought a two pack of tuner bits meant for installing head using a drill from, ta da, DW. I always use these with my cordless drill and have never damaged a thing.

There have been motorized guitar string winder for years. Ernie Ball currently makes a cordless one so if it's good enough for a guitar string, then it should be good enough for a drum head.

https://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-Powerpeg-Battery-Powered/dp/B0019H6750/ref=asc_df_B0019H6750

I suspect you have a bunch of collectors on that group who probably don't actually play all of those drums. They just like drums as pretty objects and have large amounts of disposable income or high credit limits. Throw that in with a bit of brand zealotry on a facebook group and you've got yourself a Partaaay.
I don't change out heads as often as most of you folks, so my real-world experience isn't as great. But I can't understand why using a drill to get the lugs partially in should be an issue. Perhaps people just don't know how to use a drill? I can stop it way before there is any tension to speak of, and use a key to tune it the rest of the way. The time savings when changing over a whole kit is substantial.

Of course, I'm an uneducated savage, and I'll gladly own that. Also, being the aforementioned savage that I am, I don't actually own DW's, so perhaps I'll be given a pass :)

Back